Mookie Betts Reverses Course, Takes Knee For Anthem

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Mookie Betts Reverses Course, Takes Knee For Anthem 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Mookie Betts spoke out against not standing for the national anthem a few years ago, citing the need to show respect for those in the military.

When the shortened 2020 season began on Thursday, Betts reversed course and took a knee.

\"I wasn\'t educated,\" Betts said when asked how his perspective has changed since September 2016. \"That\'s my fault. I need to be educated on the situation. I know my dad served and I\'ll never disrespect the flag, but there\'s also gotta be change in the world, and kneeling has nothing to do with those who served our country.\"

The Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder isn\'t sure if he\'ll continue to kneel.

\"I think kneeling is definitely something that shows we need change, but also I have to put some action into play as far as away from MLB,\" Betts said. \"That\'s my primary goal. Today was just to unify both sides and just to show that we are here for change.\"

Via Alden Gonzalez/ESPN

mastermixer
Starter
And1: 3,006

Re: Mookie Betts Reverses Course, Takes Knee For Anthem 

Post#2 » by mastermixer » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:11 pm

These people are so funny

“I wasn’t educated...”

No, it wasn’t a popular stance 4 years ago to kneel, and now it is.

Mookie and all these other athletes are just going with whatever is more popular at the time
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Re: Mookie Betts Reverses Course, Takes Knee For Anthem 

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:41 pm

He just signed a $365 million dollar contract. He no longer has to pretend.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion