MLB Moves All-Star Game, Draft From Georgia In Response To New Law

Moderator: TyCobb

Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Re: MLB Moves All-Star Game, Draft From Georgia In Response To New Law 

Post#101 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:21 pm

ItsDanger wrote:LOL, these threads are pure jokes. Sports should stay out of politics, period.

I used to think that, but the reality is that gerrymandering, and other voting manipulation/suppression methods, removes the voice of Black people from the conversation. When so many are removed from the conversation, sports, dominated by Black athletes, have to use their voice so they can be heard. Most of these athletes came from neighbourhoods that have no voice.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#102 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:41 pm

TheCage4 wrote:This is a PR move by MLB. If they chose to continue with the venue there someone would blow the whistle and they’d have to go into damage control.

The sad part is all the businesses that usually benefit from large sporting events will further suffer economically. I understand the move by baseball, but it is not without collateral damage.

Moves like this count on collateral damage. Those, losing profit from this move, should be on the phone to their Republican representatives to get these voter suppression methods to disappear. The whole point is collateral damage.

If things don't change expect boycotts of Coke, Dixie cups etc. Anything made in Georgia.

And don't call it cancel culture. Republicans have been cancelling Black people for a very long time. These voter suppression laws are intended to suppress the political voices of Black people. Republicans started this, so they shouldn't be surprised by the push back.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,625

Post#103 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:50 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:LOL, these threads are pure jokes. Sports should stay out of politics, period.

I used to think that, but the reality is that gerrymandering, and other voting manipulation/suppression methods, removes the voice of Black people from the conversation. When so many are removed from the conversation, sports, dominated by Black athletes, have to use their voice so they can be heard. Most of these athletes came from neighbourhoods that have no voice.

It's also ahistorical pablum. Sports have never stayed out of politics.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#104 » by beefman » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:18 pm

MLB made the right decision. end of discussion

this move will help them gain new fans and sponsorship.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#105 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:29 pm

tiderulz wrote:
halifax wrote:how do you lose your seat to a runoff decided by a fraction of a percent ? then lose the runoff the morning after just marginally ? everything needs to be under the microscope. no fulton and cobb county affidavit worthy objections.

maybe because the Devil (Trump) came down to GA and told his fans the election is rigged (big lie) and not to go out and vote. Maybe some people on the fence got tired of all the lies from Loeffler and Perdue. oh, and Cobb County, predominantly white. it wasnt just black people voting for Biden. And many people justified it as not voting for Biden but voting against Trump

Can you show us the quote of Trump telling people not to vote?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/trump-tells-supporters-vote-georgia-runoffs-refuses-accept-reality-his-n1250128

Seems like he actually said the exact opposite. There goes your credibility.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#106 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:30 pm

The funny thing is GA dems are loving the MLB straight up screwing them over. They just stripped an estimated 100 million in tourist money that was supposed to be headed to GA, and they are actually cheering on the MLB for doing it. You love to see it.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#107 » by tiderulz » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:17 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:The funny thing is GA dems are loving the MLB straight up screwing them over. They just stripped an estimated 100 million in tourist money that was supposed to be headed to GA, and they are actually cheering on the MLB for doing it. You love to see it.

Democrat Stacey Abrams, doesnt sound like she is cheering.
"I am disappointed that the MLB is relocating the All-Star game; however I commend the players, owners and League commissioner for speaking out. I urge others in positions of leadership to do so as well. As I have stated, I respect boycotts, although I don't want to see Georgia families hurt by lost events and jobs.

Sen Warnock
It is my hope that businesses, athletes, and entertainers can protest this law not by leaving Georgia but by coming here and fighting voter suppression head on, and hand-in-hand with the community

doesnt sound like cheering there. but there is an impact to the decisions Republicans made. they are just upset that the state isnt as solid red as it was in the past. Lost the Presidential election and also both Senators. you would think in a Democracy, we want more people voting, not trying to make it harder for people to vote. Make your message resonate with voters, not make it harder for them to vote
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#108 » by the_process » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:24 am

tiderulz wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:The funny thing is GA dems are loving the MLB straight up screwing them over. They just stripped an estimated 100 million in tourist money that was supposed to be headed to GA, and they are actually cheering on the MLB for doing it. You love to see it.

"I am disappointed that the MLB is relocating the All-Star game; however I commend the players, owners and League commissioner for speaking out. I urge others in positions of leadership to do so as well. As I have stated, I respect boycotts, although I don't want to see Georgia families hurt by lost events and jobs.

Sen Warnock
It is my hope that businesses, athletes, and entertainers can protest this law not by leaving Georgia but by coming here and fighting voter suppression head on, and hand-in-hand with the community

doesnt sound like cheering there. but there is an impact to the decisions Republicans made. they are just upset that the state isnt as solid red as it was in the past. Lost the Presidential election and also both Senators. you would think in a Democracy, we want more people voting, not trying to make it harder for people to vote. Make your message resonate with voters, not make it harder for them to vote

The people voting have to be actually eligible to vote and be able to prove that.

Third world countries in Africa mandate Voter ID for all, but here in America that would be racist. Do you even listen to what comes out of your mouth?
the_process
RealGM

Post#109 » by the_process » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:25 am

beefman wrote:MLB made the right decision. end of discussion

They will lose more than they gain.
the_process
RealGM

Post#110 » by the_process » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:30 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:This is a PR move by MLB. If they chose to continue with the venue there someone would blow the whistle and they’d have to go into damage control.

The sad part is all the businesses that usually benefit from large sporting events will further suffer economically. I understand the move by baseball, but it is not without collateral damage.

Moves like this count on collateral damage. Those, losing profit from this move, should be on the phone to their Republican representatives to get these voter suppression methods to disappear. The whole point is collateral damage.

If things don't change expect boycotts of Coke, Dixie cups etc. Anything made in Georgia.

And don't call it cancel culture. Republicans have been cancelling Black people for a very long time. These voter suppression laws are intended to suppress the political voices of Black people. Republicans started this, so they shouldn't be surprised by the push back.

How perfectly asinine. Democrats, the party of slavery and Jim Crow. Democrats, the party of race baiting and identity politics. So who is it really cancelling the Black voice when all majority Black areas in America are run by Democrats??
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#111 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:44 am

the_process wrote:The people voting have to be actually eligible to vote and be able to prove that.

Third world countries in Africa mandate Voter ID for all, but here in America that would be racist. Do you even listen to what comes out of your mouth?

It might be hard for him to hear his own words since you keep putting new ones in his mouth.

Here are a whole bunch of different discussions about the bill for you, which goes well beyond voter ID:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/04/05/are-american-conservatives-facing-an-extinction-level-event/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-georgias-new-voting-law-is-such-a-big-deal/

https://www.businessinsider.com/georgia-new-election-law-means-for-voters-and-officials-explainer-2021-3

https://jabberwocking.com/here-are-all-the-pros-and-cons-of-the-georgia-voting-law/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/opinion/georgia-voting-law.html

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/new-voter-suppression
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#112 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:46 am

the_process wrote:How perfectly asinine. Democrats, the party of slavery and Jim Crow. Democrats, the party of race baiting and identity politics. So who is it really cancelling the Black voice when all majority Black areas in America are run by Democrats??

This is ignorant and lazy framing. No one in real life believes this ****, not even you.

A historian has helpfully combined discussions about the political parties for you in a few twitter threads here:
Read on Twitter

I'm sure you'll read them and not just keep blathering ignorantly.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#113 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:13 pm

the_process wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Sen Warnock

The people voting have to be actually eligible to vote and be able to prove that.

I do. And i only want legitimate voters too. But there are more changes than that. removing the amount of voting places, in some counties only 1 voting spot (guess which color is predominant in those locations). The biggest worry, you have the secretary of state that oversees elections in GA, but the state election board can now remove county election officials and replace them with their own people. So if they dont like how a county is trending, they can come in at any time and replace the people running the election in that county.

The Attorney General said there wasnt fraud. Investigators in GA said their wasnt fraud. So why are these changes being made? because they didnt like the results.

so yes, i hear the words in my mouth, as I live in GA. Do you live in GA?
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#114 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:01 pm

the_process wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Sen Warnock

How many African nations close down DMV locations or limit hours in Black neighbourhoods to force Black people to take a paid day off work to get ID, like in Alabama?

Make you a deal. Register all citizens via their tax returns. Purge no one except dead people. It doesn't matter if Fred Jones hasn't voted for 15 years, once registered, by taxes or any other method, he remains voter eligible and on the voters list until he dies. If Fred moves his change of address at the post office should trigger an automatic voter registration at his new address. Locate a DMV, in Black neighbourhoods, at the same proportion to population as they exist in white neighbourhoods. Make the cost nominal, say $5, and extend DMV hours one night a week to 10 PM. Then having photo IDs for voting is not voter suppression.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#115 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:50 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
How many African nations close down DMV locations or limit hours in Black neighbourhoods to force Black people to take a paid day off work to get ID, like in Alabama?

Why do people continue to repeat this lie? I just went on the Montgomery AL DMV website. I was able to book an appointment for Thursday at anytime between 9-3:30pm. Good look doing that in predominantly white locations here in California. They are open 8/9 - 5pm and you cant even book an appointment right now. Even when you could, you were minimum 2-3 weeks out. EVERYONE HAS TO TAKE A DAY OFF TO GO TO THE DMV. This isn't an issue that effects only minorities. This is a DMV issue because its ran by the government and has tons of inefficiencies.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#116 » by Pointgod » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:16 pm

About sums it up.

Read on Twitter
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#117 » by beefman » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:58 pm

the_process wrote:
beefman wrote:MLB made the right decision. end of discussion

They will lose more than they gain.

no they will not. i guarantee it
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#118 » by Dennis 37 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:05 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

Why do people continue to repeat this lie? I just went on the Montgomery AL DMV website. I was able to book an appointment for Thursday at anytime between 9-3:30pm. Good look doing that in predominantly white locations here in California. They are open 8/9 - 5pm and you cant even book an appointment right now. Even when you could, you were minimum 2-3 weeks out. EVERYONE HAS TO TAKE A DAY OFF TO GO TO THE DMV. This isn't an issue that effects only minorities. This is a DMV issue because its ran by the government and has tons of inefficiencies.

When your wage is so low that you have to skip meals to get a voter ID, what do you tell your children? They are going to eat the photo ID for supper?

This:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/23/us/politics/voting-rights-alabama.html

Now this article says its not entirely true, but
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/12/16767426/alabama-voter-suppression-senate-moore-jones
But the stories getting attention were almost all from 2015. Since then, the state has partially reversed the closures and expanded some office hours after a federal probe found that the move disproportionately hurt black residents.

Partially reversed does not mean fully reversed. Non-white communities are poorer that white communities. They need after hours service more than white people do to have the same access. Someone, with a higher wage is better able to take a day off work.

https://www.al.com/news/2017/07/alabama_is_6th_poorest_state_i.html
The poverty rate for Hispanic or Latino Alabamians is highest, at nearly 34 percent, compared with 31 percent for blacks and 14 percent for whites.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#119 » by Barcs » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:33 pm

the_process wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Sen Warnock

This just proves that republicans still have no idea what racism is. LOL @ bringing up African countries just because they are black as if this is even remotely relevant to what's going on in America. C'mon...
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
the_process
RealGM

Post#120 » by the_process » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:25 pm

Barcs wrote:
the_process wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Democrat Stacey Abrams, doesnt sound like she is cheering.

Sen Warnock

This just proves that republicans still have no idea what racism is. LOL @ bringing up African countries just because they are black as if this is even remotely relevant to what's going on in America. C'mon...

Yes they were brought up because they are Black. :nonono: Who is racist now for assuming?

Third world countries are poor, yeah? Yet they mandate voter ID. But here in America, your implication is “true racism” is the economic divide where people cannot afford to get ID’s. Which is pretty racist yet again considering Dems can manage to wrangle up illegals and give them ID’s so they can get drivers licenses. So it shouldn’t be a problem to do the same so every actual citizen can vote.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion