Landry Shamet discussion, news and highlights 

Post#1 » by Saberestar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 pm

Read on Twitter
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,802

Re: Landry Shamet discussion, news and highlights 

Post#2 » by darealjuice » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:26 pm

I like Shamet. Really good 3-point shooter that can step into the rotation right away as Book's backup. More shooting/scoring off the bench for us is a good thing. Would have liked to make the pick, not surprised we prefer immediate help though.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#3 » by 8on » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 pm

Exactly what I had in mind to spell CP3 or Book. CP3/Payne wasn't really ideal. Great move
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,910

Post#4 » by Damkac » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:50 pm

JJ love shooters.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#5 » by saintEscaton » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:52 pm

Payne and Shamet will be and awesome 1-2 scoring punch off the bench to spell CP3 and Book
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,685

Post#6 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 pm

Damkac wrote:JJ love shooters.
Read on Twitter

And the man can absolutely shoot it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#7 » by DRK » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 pm

Love this trade. Can never have too many elite shooters in todays NBA.
Ild rather someone who has proven to be a rotation player than taking a punt on someone at 29
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,270

Post#8 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:39 pm

DRK wrote:Love this trade. Can never have too many elite shooters in todays NBA.
Ild rather someone who has proven to be a rotation player than taking a punt on someone at 29

Shamet is still 24. So it's like drafting an older rookie at 29th, but who has proven skills in the NBA.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by saintEscaton » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Shamet's on ball playmaking really developed last year too to go along with his full speed catch and release shooting. Point shamet is a sight to behold
Jonestown Suicide Squad

sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,487

Post#10 » by sunskerr » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:50 pm

I've liked Shamet for a while and wanted to get him when he was still on the Clippers. Pretty happy with this trade. Hopefully he keeps improving.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#11 » by Kerrsed » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 pm

Honestly its a solid trade....and i was a huge Carter fan.

Shamet is a pure SG with excellent court vision. Think of him as Booker-lite from a few seasons back. Excellent shooter (Both from 3 and mid-range), quick to get to the rim (Almost like Cam Payne), but also having legit passing skills and super solid court vision like Booker has coming from a SG. As mentioned his downside is his defense. He has a small frame and gets tossed around on D. I know we have taken other "Not good on D" guys and have transformed them (Ayton/Booker), but honestly i dont think Shamet has the frame to put on the weight that he will need to ever be considered a good defender, but thats ok. Now we have a guy in place for when booker rests, one that can still score and at a good pace. There wont be as much of a drop of bringing a guy off the bench.

Also frees up some cash so we can attempt to grab a better big than Frank. Adding at least 2 bigs will be a must with Saric out for the season, so spend some cash to get a big rebounding defensive C, someone like Whiteside or McGee (Playing with Booker with Team USA) or WCS (Played with Booker in Kentucky) or Noel.

But first and foremost we need to buy an early 2nd round pick and draft Neemias Queta. He was my pick at #29 even though damn near every mock has him in the mid 2nd round, and he is still my pick now that the word is that we seem to be interested in buying a 2nd round pick.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by saintEscaton » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:26 pm

Kerrsed wrote:Honestly its a solid trade....and i was a huge Carter fan.

Shamet is a pure SG with excellent court vision. Think of him as Booker-lite from a few seasons back. Excellent shooter (Both from 3 and mid-range), quick to get to the rim (Almost like Cam Payne), but also having legit passing skills and super solid court vision like Booker has coming from a SG. As mentioned his downside is his defense. He has a small frame and gets tossed around on D. I know we have taken other "Not good on D" guys and have transformed them (Ayton/Booker), but honestly i dont think Shamet has the frame to put on the weight that he will need to ever be considered a good defender, but thats ok. Now we have a guy in place for when booker rests, one that can still score and at a good pace. There wont be as much of a drop of bringing a guy off the bench.

Also frees up some cash so we can attempt to grab a better big than Frank. Adding at least 2 bigs will be a must with Saric out for the season, so spend some cash to get a big rebounding defensive C, someone like Whiteside or McGee (Playing with Booker with Team USA) or WCS (Played with Booker in Kentucky) or Noel.

But first and foremost we need to buy an early 2nd round pick and draft Neemias Queta. He was my pick at #29 even though damn near every mock has him in the mid 2nd round, and he is still my pick now that the word is that we seem to be interested in buying a 2nd round pick.

My thoughts exactly
Jonestown Suicide Squad

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,953

Post#13 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:44 am

Valley of the Suns (@ValleyoftheSuns) Tweeted:
We're getting a good one in Landry Shamet. After breaking down his game, here are three things he brings to the @Suns. https://t.co/dmK9931104
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#14 » by Biff » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 am

Better fit for us. Carter didn't see the court very much last year. Shamet can shoot and while he's not quite the dog Carter is on D (I do think that Carter is a bit overrated here), he does try and isn't a revolving door.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#15 » by Mr Puddles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:27 am

Saberestar wrote:
Crives wrote:Not sure I like this… isn’t shamet basically Jevon without defense? Hope we are getting a 2nd back

No, he is a clear upgrade.

He is taller than Jevon, a pure SG who can score a lot of threes. Elite shooter.

I think it is a very good trade.

Yeah I love Jevon but he's kind of been the odd man out. He'll work really well next to Harden though, because he can basically play shooting guard on offense while defending PG. Harden is essentially a PG in a shooting guards body, whereas Carter is a shooting guard in a PG's body. It's basically like that Eric Snow / Iverson backcourt, but then in reverse.

Shamet is a clear upgrade and could be our best shooter next year. He's averaging 40% from three for his career on good volume and had a season shooting 45% from three on 6 attempts per game. Suns just need him to hit his open shots off the bench while backing up Booker.

Let's be honest as well, as much as everyone loves the draft - the chances of getting a player of Shamet's caliber at #29 is not high (although he was a late first himself). Most players drafted that low are out of the league in a few years and the player we would have picked would likely not have contributed to another deep playoff run this season.
Spoiler:
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,179

Post#16 » by bigfoot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:04 am

So Suns traded two non-rotation players (Carter and 29th) for a rotation player. They freed up a roster spot for an extra rotational big man. They got rid of Carter's third-year contract. Unlikely the 29th selection sees the light of day on the court next season. Better for the Suns to put some rookies on two-way contracts.

Win all the way around.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#17 » by suns12345 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:24 am

bigfoot wrote:So Suns traded two non-rotation players (Carter and 29th) for a rotation player. They freed up a roster spot for an extra rotational big man. They got rid of Carter's third-year contract. Unlikely the 29th selection sees the light of day on the court next season. Better for the Suns to put some rookies on two-way contracts.

Win all the way around.

Yep, this is a great way to look at it.

I'm all for this trade. fwiw, our last pick at #29

2007: Alando Tucker, G/F, Wisconsin

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#18 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:08 am

After thinking it over I like the trade. We weren't going to hit magic with our 29th pick and with Carter, I assumed would play more in the playoffs but hardly saw the floor. At least with Shamet who is roughly 3 inches taller has averaged 20 mpg in the playoffs over his last 3 years. Obviously our bench defense declines, but now we've added a reliable shooter that can knockdown threes at a 40% clip.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#19 » by sunsbg » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:11 pm

24yo, so can look at him as the typical JJ-drafted old rookie, though most likely only for a single season. Not that bad if he's a contributor in the playoffs.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#20 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:25 pm

sunsbg wrote:24yo, so can look at him as the typical JJ-drafted old rookie, though most likely only for a single season. Not that bad if he's a contributor in the playoffs.

Him being 3 inches taller than Carter is huge. Thats why he plays 20 mpg in the playoffs past 3 years he can bother shooters and also create his shot bit better then Jevon.

Return to Phoenix Suns