Mets Hire Buck Showalter As New Manager

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mets Hire Buck Showalter As New Manager 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:14 pm

The New York Mets have hired Buck Showalter as their new manager, team owner Steven Cohen announced Saturday on Twitter.

Showalter, 65, takes over for Luis Rojas, who was fired after a season in which the team held on to first place for 103 days but ultimately finished 77-85 and missed the playoffs.

Houston Astros bench coach Joe Espada and Tampa Bay Rays bench coach Matt Quatraro also were candidates for the post, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Via ESPN.com

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,748

Re: Mets Hire Buck Showalter As New Manager 

Post#2 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:33 pm

I wanted Buck instead of Mickey Callaway and then instead of Beltran/Rojas. Finally, we have an owner who’s ego - as large as it may be - doesn’t get in the way of hiring an experienced manager with a strong personality instead of lap dog.
Free Palestine
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#3 » by cheese318 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:07 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I wanted Buck instead of Mickey Callaway and then instead of Beltran/Rojas. Finally, we have an owner who’s ego - as large as it may be - doesn’t get in the way of hiring an experienced manager with a strong personality instead of lap dog.

Such a great thing to finally to see an ownership making decisions for the better of the team and not worried about dollars and cents. I mean signing Brodie VWG was such a dumb move and was the quintessential reason that probably got Jeff Wilpon completely removed as CEO/Owner. Imagine if they sold the team with Wilponzi’s owning controlling stake for 5 years and Wilpon staying on as CEO. The best thing that ever happened was Cohen backed out and kind of forced the Wilpons completely out of the organization. NYM was always a nightmare to be a fan and see all the Jason Bay signings that never delivered. Bringing in Marte & Mad Max was so big time. Doesn’t hurt our future as we are able to continue to fix our farm club after the depletion by Brodie and the trades we have made the last few years. Just super excited to be a NYM right now and NYY fans better realize if Hal doesn’t start taking chances and showing his father’s intuition we may be the team of the future in NY
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,748

Post#4 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:47 am

cheese318 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I wanted Buck instead of Mickey Callaway and then instead of Beltran/Rojas. Finally, we have an owner who’s ego - as large as it may be - doesn’t get in the way of hiring an experienced manager with a strong personality instead of lap dog.

Such a great thing to finally to see an ownership making decisions for the better of the team and not worried about dollars and cents. I mean signing Brodie VWG was such a dumb move and was the quintessential reason that probably got Jeff Wilpon completely removed as CEO/Owner. Imagine if they sold the team with Wilponzi’s owning controlling stake for 5 years and Wilpon staying on as CEO. The best thing that ever happened was Cohen backed out and kind of forced the Wilpons completely out of the organization. NYM was always a nightmare to be a fan and see all the Jason Bay signings that never delivered. Bringing in Marte & Mad Max was so big time. Doesn’t hurt our future as we are able to continue to fix our farm club after the depletion by Brodie and the trades we have made the last few years. Just super excited to be a NYM right now and NYY fans better realize if Hal doesn’t start taking chances and showing his father’s intuition we may be the team of the future in NY

Jeff's ego wouldn't allow him to hire a strong manager. Marte is another guy we had a shot at 2-3 years ago, I believe. But we punked out on him too. Ebbler seems like he may be a competent GM. We still have a couple more moves to make after the lockout is over. Fingers crossed.
Free Palestine

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion