Max Scherzer: WBC Would Be Better In-Season

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Max Scherzer: WBC Would Be Better In-Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:41 pm

Max Scherzer has addressed not pitching for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.

\"I\'m not ready to step into a quasi-playoff game right now. If I do that, I\'m rolling the dice with my arm,\" he told SNY.

Scherzer added that moving the WBC to the summer, after Major League Baseball\'s season has gotten underway and pitchers have had time to stretch out their arms, would make the tournament more appealing.

\"If the WBC was during the season, I think you would get more pitcher participation, and, more importantly, I think it\'d be more exciting for the fans because you\'d actually have starters built up,\" he said. \"You wouldn\'t have guys on pitch counts or whatever it is. You\'d actually have real guys going at it. It\'d be a real game.\"

Via R.J. Anderson/CBS Sports

donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Re: Max Scherzer: WBC Would Be Better In-Season 

Post#2 » by donemilio21 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:41 pm

It should be at the end of the season, over 2 weeks in November.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Re: Max Scherzer: WBC Would Be Better In-Season 

Post#3 » by Scalabrine » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:22 pm

donemilio21 wrote:It should be at the end of the season, over 2 weeks in November.

It's a better solution, but you'd also have guys opt out because they just went through a full 162 game season (plus playoffs for some). Scherzer is right though. It's not worth it for alot of these guys.
Go Knicks!

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion