Shohei Ohtani Has Elbow Surgery, Won\'t Pitch Until 2025

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

Shohei Ohtani Has Elbow Surgery, Won\'t Pitch Until 2025 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:22 am

Shohei Ohtani had elbow surgery Tuesday, but he expects to be available as a hitter on Opening Day next season and will return to the mound as a pitcher in 2025.

Ohtani tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow Aug. 23. He continued as a batter through Sept. 3 until an oblique strain.

Dr. Neal ElAttrache operated at the Cedars-Sinai Kerlan-Jobe Institute in Los Angeles. He said in a statement that the sides decided to \"reinforce the healthy ligament in place,\" suggesting the UCL wasn\'t reconstructed via Tommy John surgery.

ElAttrache also performed Tommy John surgery on Ohtani on Oct. 1, 2018.

Ohtani is eligible for free agency after the World Series. Before the elbow injury, there was speculation he would get a record contract of $500 million or more.

Via Associated Press

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 534

Re: Shohei Ohtani Has Elbow Surgery, Won\'t Pitch Until 2025 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:20 pm

Ohtani will become the highest paid athlete in North American history while only having to bat 4 times a game :crazy:
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -V
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,219

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:43 pm

TheCage4 wrote:Ohtani will become the highest paid athlete in North American history while only having to bat 4 times a game :crazy:

It's going to be real interesting to see who is going to be bidding and how much it's going to go. The Yankees by all accounts are pretty much already out. The Padres, if they are to be believed, will be cutting salary so they're likely also out. That's 2 of the biggest spenders.

I would assume the Dodgers are probably the no.1 most likely destination. They have salaries coming off and they've refrained for spending big last offseason (likely for prep to go after Ohtani) likely to get in position to land him. And I would assume that Ohtani will have the Dodgers on top of his wish list.

But it takes 2 to tango or start a bidding war.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 534

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:21 pm

moocow007 wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:Ohtani will become the highest paid athlete in North American history while only having to bat 4 times a game :crazy:

It's going to be real interesting to see who is going to be bidding and how much it's going to go. The Yankees by all accounts are pretty much already out. The Padres, if they are to be believed, will be cutting salary so they're likely also out. That's 2 of the biggest spenders.

I would assume the Dodgers are probably the no.1 most likely destination. They have salaries coming off and they've refrained for spending big last offseason (likely for prep to go after Ohtani) likely to get in position to land him. And I would assume that Ohtani will have the Dodgers on top of his wish list.

But it takes 2 to tango or start a bidding war.

I would include Cohen and the Mets in the conversation, but after Verlander and Scherzer, I’m not so sure. Maybe Boston now that Bloom is gone. Texas or Houston could be other possibilities, but I think the Dodgers are the clear front runners.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -V

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion