Players Won\'t Be Paid For Any Forfeited Games

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Players Won\'t Be Paid For Any Forfeited Games 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:09 pm

If the NFL decides to forfeit any games as the regular season winds down amid rising COVID-19 cases, players on both teams involved in a forfeited game will not be paid for that particular game.

Sunday\'s game between the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers is in doubt due to a surge of cases with the Ravens, including Lamar Jackson.

Via Adam Schefter/ESPN

Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 467

Re: Players Won\'t Be Paid For Any Forfeited Games 

Post#2 » by Future Coach » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:02 am

Forfeit implies that one team is ready to play while the other team is not. How could the NFL justify not paying the team that is ready to play? I would like to see the contractual language in the CBA regarding this as I suspect it is a bit shaky. Unfortunately, news via twitter doesn't actually provide any sources :nonono:
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,473

Post#3 » by Harry Garris » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:59 pm

Future Coach wrote:Forfeit implies that one team is ready to play while the other team is not. How could the NFL justify not paying the team that is ready to play? I would like to see the contractual language in the CBA regarding this as I suspect it is a bit shaky. Unfortunately, news via twitter doesn't actually provide any sources :nonono:

Well, the game produces no revenue which is where the players pay comes from as a weighted percentage of. Contractually it makes sense, in literally any other industry if the agreed upon service isnt fulfilled then you dont get paid. Even if it's due to circumstances out of your control.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#4 » by Cassius » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Future Coach wrote:Forfeit implies that one team is ready to play while the other team is not. How could the NFL justify not paying the team that is ready to play? I would like to see the contractual language in the CBA regarding this as I suspect it is a bit shaky. Unfortunately, news via twitter doesn't actually provide any sources :nonono:

Well, the game produces no revenue which is where the players pay comes from as a weighted percentage of. Contractually it makes sense, in literally any other industry if the agreed upon service isnt fulfilled then you dont get paid. Even if it's due to circumstances out of your control.

I'm confident that the team and stadium owners have insurance policies for these situations, and are taking this position so that when the NFLPA sues, they can settle somewhere in the middle.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion