Lions Interested In Trading Up For Sammy Watkins

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lions Interested In Trading Up For Sammy Watkins 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:24 am

The Detroit Lions are looking to trade up to draft Sammy Watkins.

General manager Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Caldwell had dinner with him the night before his pro day last month.

The Lions brought in Watkins in for a pre-draft visit on Tuesday.

Caldwell called Watkins “a quality person” and said “there's not much to dislike about this young man.”

“We had an opportunity to visit with his mother and father, so I think you get a pretty good feel,” Caldwell said. “And one of the things I've always learned from my days back in college is I've always loved to watch the interaction between the individual and his parents. You know that old scripture in the Bible, honor thy mother and father. Well, typically you can tell what kind of man it is … when you watch the people that they are closest to and hold dearest to their heart and how they treat them.”

Via Dave Birkett/Detroit Free Press

juduking
Junior
And1: 23

Re: Lions Interested In Trading Up For Sammy Watkins 

Post#2 » by juduking » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:47 pm

What did it cost the Redskins to trade up for RGIII? Wasn't it like 3 first round picks plus some other picks? I don't think the lions will be willing to part with that many picks in order to move up. Mayhew tried this a couple of years back with Patrick Peterson and only offered a first and a fourth to move up from 10 to 5 and wouldn't go any higher. Watkins will be gone in the top 3 so I really have no idea how or who they would find as a trading partner in that draft group. Watkins would be nice, but unless its a QB, I would not be willing to part with three first round picks plus whatever else.
"Ball Don't Lie"!
esperanzafleet
Sophomore
And1: 6

Re: Lions Interested In Trading Up For Sammy Watkins 

Post#3 » by esperanzafleet » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 am

the thing is, sammy watkins isnt a franchise QB like RG3. if the rams want to trade down, they'll take the best offer they can get, and people arent going to throw picks at em like the redskins did to draft either clowney or watkins.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion