Bills Wanted To Move Up To No. 1 To Select Sammy Watkins

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bills Wanted To Move Up To No. 1 To Select Sammy Watkins 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 16, 2014 3:30 pm

The Buffalo Bills were so enamored by Sammy Watkins that they attempted to move up all the way to No. 1 to ensure they were able to select him.

The Bills eventually moved up from No. 9 to No. 4 to select Watkins, giving up their first round pick next season and a fourth rounder as well.

“We went with Houston right off the bat,” Bills' director of player personnel Jim Monos said. “We tried to go to No. 1. They weren’t having it. They knew who they wanted, so we started working our way right down.”

The Browns called before the Texans submitted their pick for Jadeveon Clowney to confirm that the Bills were still interested. The Bills were unsure what the Jacksonville Jaguars were thinking with the No. 3 pick.

“We really didn’t know,” Monos said. “Jacksonville never tipped it. We had just heard so much that they needed a receiver. We thought that this was going to be Sammy. We knew that if Jacksonville didn’t take him we had a shot.”

Via Curtis Crabtree/ProFootballTalk

Weaksauce
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Bills Wanted To Move Up To No. 1 To Select Sammy Watkins 

Post#2 » by Weaksauce » Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Considering how much they gave up for No. 4, I can't imagine how much more they would've given up for the No. 1.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Re: Bills Wanted To Move Up To No. 1 To Select Sammy Watkins 

Post#3 » by anatomicbomb » Fri May 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Weaksauce wrote:Considering how much they gave up for No. 4, I can't imagine how much more they would've given up for the No. 1.

I think that part of the reason that they gave up so much was because they approached the whole scenario by trying to pick up the number 1 overall draft pick. If they were more realistic about anticipating the other picks, they could maybe have more easily seen what offer is fair in trade for the 4th overall selection.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion