Jonathan Martin Explains Decision To Retire From NFL

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jonathan Martin Explains Decision To Retire From NFL 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:37 am

Jonathan Martin admitted to depression and attempting to kill himself on multiple occasions during a lengthy Facebook post in which he explained his decision to retire from the NFL.

Martin mentioned struggles with racial identity and being accepted by the crowd.

"Your job leads you to attempt to kill yourself on multiple occasions,'' Martin wrote. "Your self-perceived social inadequacy dominates your every waking moment & thought. You're petrified of going to work. You either sleep 12, 14, 16, hours a day when you can, or not at all. You drink too much, smoke weed constantly, have trouble focusing on doing your job, playing the sport that you grew up obsessed with."

It was written in the Wells report that Martin was harassed in middle school and high school, resulting in a lack of self-esteem and depression as a teenager.

The Wells report also mentioned that Martin contemplated suicide on two occasions, in January and May of 2013.

"According to Martin, in middle school and high school he was the victim of bullying, which diminished his self-confidence and self-esteem and contributed to what he self-diagnosed as periodic bouts of depression during his teenage years," the report said. "Martin claims that the depression he experienced in high school recurred as a result of mistreatment by his teammates on the Dolphins and that on two occasions in 2013 he even contemplated suicide."

Via David Newton/ESPN

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Re: Jonathan Martin Explains Decision To Retire From NFL 

Post#2 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:29 pm

When is this guy going to finally admit it, and come out of the closet already
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#3 » by anatomicbomb » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:When is this guy going to finally admit it, and come out of the closet already

I don't think he's mentally well enough to deal with everything that comes with that kind of admission

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#4 » by BorkLazer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:24 am

anatomicbomb wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:When is this guy going to finally admit it, and come out of the closet already

I don't think he's mentally well enough to deal with everything that comes with that kind of admission

Why do you assume he is gay? Dude clearly has some issues he needs to work out and I hope he gets the help he needs. Maybe he has a future in broadcasting or something if he can control his anxiety, he does sound like he really loves football, shame he couldn't realize his full talent.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#5 » by anatomicbomb » Thu Sep 3, 2015 12:52 am

BorkLazer wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:

Why do you assume he is gay? Dude clearly has some issues he needs to work out and I hope he gets the help he needs. Maybe he has a future in broadcasting or something if he can control his anxiety, he does sound like he really loves football, shame he couldn't realize his full talent.

I didn't say that I endorse that position, merely that, were it the case, someone in his psychological state is probably unable to deal with the consequences of broadcasting his sexual identity to others.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion