Tom Brady Hopes To Play Another 10 Years

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Tom Brady Hopes To Play Another 10 Years 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 am

Tom Brady would like to play in the NFL for another 10 seasons.

"I'd like to play a long time, yeah, a long time," Brady said during a conference call with New York Jets reporters Wednesday.

"There's a lot that goes into playing well. I've played with a lot of great teammates, but I want to play for a long time. Maybe 10 more years. I think that's probably what my goal is."

Brady, who is 38, has shown no signs of slowing down.

Brady insisted he is serious about his goal of playing into his late forties.

"Well, it's not always up to me," he acknowledged. "That's what my goals are, so that's just what I'm hoping. And it will take a lot to achieve that. Obviously, a team has to want you, but I think that's, you know, I love playing this sport. I love making a commitment to my teammates and my coaches, and hopefully I can do it for a long time."

Via Dennis Waszak Jr./Associated Press

WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Re: Tom Brady Hopes To Play Another 10 Years 

Post#2 » by WhatsaTDot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:53 am

Deflated balls; inflated ego.

This place is insufferable.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#3 » by Phila Tough » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:10 am

Lol gotta love his enthusiasm.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Im sure if he wins a 5th Superbowl he will call it a career. At the end of the day, given his level of performance, he's got 2 more years left in the league. I dont want to see him follow same path Favre did the latter part of his career.
CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Post#5 » by CoolKids » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:Im sure if he wins a 5th Superbowl he will call it a career. At the end of the day, given his level of performance, he's got 2 more years left in the league. I dont want to see him follow same path Favre did the latter part of his career.

His MVP level of performance? It would be pretty crazy to see and I dont think it would happen but Brady does look like he has another 10 years of being a plus starter at this point. He could definitely play more then 2 seasons
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#6 » by anatomicbomb » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:15 pm

CoolKids wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:Im sure if he wins a 5th Superbowl he will call it a career. At the end of the day, given his level of performance, he's got 2 more years left in the league. I dont want to see him follow same path Favre did the latter part of his career.

His MVP level of performance? It would be pretty crazy to see and I dont think it would happen but Brady does look like he has another 10 years of being a plus starter at this point. He could definitely play more then 2 seasons

Yeah, he's been amazing to start his season! However, what players don't like to allow into their thought processes is how sudden the decline often is when it comes. When your body starts to betray you, you fall from the top of the pile in a hurry - the distance between #1 and #251 isn't as far as statistics would have us believe. Granted he's overcoming a horrific injury, but Peyton Manning's performance (or lack thereof) this season is a salient example of how sudden a drop-off can be in physical ability, and how difficult it can be to adjust to dissolving physical tools and changes to strategy/team/league/etc. Especially given how much the Patriots depend upon him, and how little he has had to deal with coaching changes, we could see a stark contrast between Brady at the top of his game, and Brady on the decline.

That said, his body has endured remarkably well (aside from one injury, in one season), and that may give him an edge over people of similar longevity, but 10 years seems like more of a mantra than a realistic goal.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion