Exec Believes NFL Ratings To Improve Moving From Obama To Trump

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Exec Believes NFL Ratings To Improve Moving From Obama To Trump 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:09 pm

At least one team executive believes the presidency of Donald Trump will be good for the business of the NFL.

"Under President [Barack] Obama, the country was intellectual and looked at facts," said the executive. "I think that's why our ratings fell. People read a lot about our scandals or CTE and didn't like what they saw. Under Trump, the country will care less about truth or facts. It'll be [more raw] and brutal. Football will be more of an outlet. We'll go back to liking our violent sports."

NFL ratings have only dropped this season with many reasons blamed from the drop in quality of play to the election coverage and the way Roger Goodell has handled disciplinary issues such as Deflategate and domestic violence.

Via Mike Freeman/Bleacher Report

Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,951

Re: Exec Believes NFL Ratings To Improve Moving From Obama To Trump 

Post#2 » by Perishable517 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:52 pm

::shaking head slowly::
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#3 » by Tussin33 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:54 pm

This was the dumbest thing I've ever read.
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#4 » by rammagen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:13 pm

wow morons must be running the nfl now. That statement...... :banghead:
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 470

Post#5 » by Future Coach » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:31 am

I guess the article is saying that since people don't seemed concerned that Trump doesn't put an emphasis on factual evidence, that the USA viewing audience will no longer be concerned with the fact that playing NFL football is inherently dangerous. I suppose there is a logic there, but it is not very sound at all. In any event, any exec associated with the NFL has to say anything that they can think of to try to make people think ratings will go up.... but in the end, they won't (except for major games). Franchises will continue to increase in value for a while because live sports will continue to be valuable entertainment viewing events, while scripted programming will decline as the viewing options increase, but that is not to say that the NFL will be winning over a bunch of new fans. Potentially, just the opposite may occur as time goes on.

One thing that could have actual impact on the quality of football in the future though is if Trump continues with the trend of de-funding education. If the budget for schools around the country continues to get cut, football programs will continue dropping as it is by far the most expensive sport for a school to have, and it only caters to male students (typically)... very hard to justify (unless you're in Texas apparently). Most of these budget matters happen at the state level, but it's not like federal funding doesn't impact state budgets.

In any event, smart executives would realize that the NFL has likely already reached its peak. In addition to their being less funding available for schools in the future to provide opportunities to play football, less and less parents will let their kids play football as they become more educated about the alarming risks. Growing up I went to a small elementary school, and we largely didn't have a football team because of one parent - a retired NFL Pro Bowl offensive lineman - who insisted that children should not be playing contact football until they were older... and who was going to argue with a former NFL player about what's-what regarding the reality of football? Basketball and Soccer (/football) are not only much less expensive for children to play, they are considerably safer while promoting healthier physical fitness than NFL football.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#6 » by Marty McFly » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:09 am

:lol:
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:25 am

I get the feeling this was all said tongue in cheek and only the writer missed the joke.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
OnceUponADime
Senior
And1: 399

Post#8 » by OnceUponADime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:00 am

Feels like this "executive" is a democrat..

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion