Melvin Gordon, Chargers' Offensive Line Chasing 1,000-Yard Season

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Melvin Gordon, Chargers' Offensive Line Chasing 1,000-Yard Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 2, 2016 1:28 pm

Melvin Gordon and his San Diego Chargers' teammates along the offensive line are chasing a 1,000-yard season.

Gordon is already at 908 yards this season, making it conceivable that he could surpass the mark this weekend with several games to spare.

"It'd be a nice accomplishment for my young career," Gordon said. "I think every back wants to get to 1,000. I am chasing it, but it's really not the focus. I'll be glad if I get it."

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said it'd be meaningful for Gordon to hit 1,000.

"The lineman have said something to me a couple times, so I know it means something to them," Whisenhunt said. "I think the idea of a 1,000-yard rusher, to accomplish that goal, speaks a lot about those guys, too. Obviously, we all know what it means about Melvin, but that group of guys including the tight ends and the fullback Derek (Watt) because they're an important group in that -- it's hard to be recognized as a group with those guys a lot of times. 

"Most of the times the recognition is not favorable if you're giving up sacks or not running the football. When you have a 1,000-yard rusher, a lot of people associate that with the offensive line being successful. So yeah, it means something to them."

Via Michael Gehlken/San Diego Union-Tribune

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion