Malcolm Jenkins Won't Protest After NFL's $89M Pledge

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Malcolm Jenkins Won't Protest After NFL's $89M Pledge 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 1, 2017 3:02 pm

Malcolm Jenkins doesn't plan to protest during the national anthem before Sunday night's game between the Philadelphia Eagles and Seattle Seahawks.

Jenkins stated his intentions after the NFL and the Players Coalition, which Jenkins co-founded, joined in a partnership that calls for the league to contribute $89 million over seven years to projects dealing with criminal justice reform, law enforcement/community relations and education.

The safety has raised his fist during the anthem since Week 2 of the 2016 season.

"I know a lot of people have kind of made a big deal about the money that the league has proposed, but I'm more concerned and more interested in the platform they're proposing," he said. "The reason I started raising my fist in the first place is to draw awareness to injustices in this country, disenfranchised people of color. I wanted to draw awareness.

"And so I think what the league is proposing is a platform and a campaign similar to what they've done with breast cancer awareness, My Cause, My Cleats, Salute to Service, but hopefully in an even bigger manner.

"And if we're able to amplify our voices to showcase those causes, those issues, to highlight grass-roots organizations who are doing the work and need support, to tell the stories of those people who have been wronged or left out, I think that's even more valuable than the cash amount. So hopefully, in good faith, that gets built out."

Via Tim McManus/ESPN

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion