Josh Rosen Views Tennis As Helpful In Preparation For Football

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Josh Rosen Views Tennis As Helpful In Preparation For Football 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:21 am

Josh Rosen shifted from tennis to football due to a shoulder injury as a 12-year-old.

Rosen views the way tennis players will lose points, games and sets even in victory as a way in helping him prepare to play football.

"The thing about tennis that helped me a lot was because of how many points you lose," he said. "[Even] if you beat someone, 6-0, 6-0, you're going to lose quite a couple of points … so you have to move on from lost points, because it's going to happen. You have to learn how to keep moving and pushing on."

Rosen was the No. 1 player in Southern California amongst 12 year olds and a top-50 player in the country.

“I was rehabbing for a long time and realized at that time it kind of wasn’t a sport I really loved,” Rosen said of tennis in a 2014 interview with CFB 24/7. “I had to get surgery or quit the sport, and after eight months of rehab going back and forth, I didn’t know if I loved the game as much as I did before.

"I ended up moving to football full-time, and it's worked out pretty well."

Some NFL coaches see a connection between the sports, if only a thin one.

"I can see the correlation there, no doubt," Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said. "There always seems to be common thing between tennis, quarterbacks and golfers. There's a hand-eye thing, something in the wrist movement that carries over. Usually, if you're a good tennis player, you're a good golfer. You're a good quarterback, you're a good golfer."

Said Houston Texans coach Bill O’Brien: “I’m not saying I watch a ton of tennis. But when you watch Wimbledon and see these tennis players and their ability to move side to side, attack the net, backpedal back to the baseline, it is a skill set as far as footwork goes that’s definitely transferable to football.”

Via Sam Farmer/Los Angeles Times

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: Josh Rosen Views Tennis As Helpful In Preparation For Football 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:00 am

I wonder how being a quarter back is better for a shoulder than a tennis player?
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Re: Josh Rosen Views Tennis As Helpful In Preparation For Football 

Post#3 » by anatomicbomb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:26 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:I wonder how being a quarter back is better for a shoulder than a tennis player?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. It's hard to imagine that with constant throwing and being hit, that football would be better - so my best guess is that there's something particular about the racquet-swinging motion that affects him (maybe like a baseball pitcher putting strain on their rotator cuff, which doesn't seem to be a big injury in football)

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion