Sam Darnold Learning Fast, Could Start For Jets

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Sam Darnold Learning Fast, Could Start For Jets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Sam Darnold has made a strong impression with the New York Jets and could be the team's starting quarterback if he continues to absorb the playbook at his current pace.

"Are we giving him bits and pieces of the offense or are we throwing everything at him? We're throwing everything at him," coordinator Jeremy Bates said. "If he can handle it, if he can prove that he's the starter, then that will take place when the time comes."

Darnold will compete with Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater in training camp.

"If you treat them like a rookie, they'll become a rookie, so we threw the whole book at him to see what he can handle and what he needs to work on -- just like the other two -- and he's done a really good job," Bates said. "Ever since rookie camp, he hasn't flinched."

Via Rich Cimini/ESPN

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Sam Darnold Learning Fast, Could Start For Jets 

Post#2 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:44 pm

For the money he's making, Bridgewater should have stayed in Sota as a backup. Sure they would have paid him at least 1.5 mil.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#3 » by RickB-Orlando » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:59 am

mplsfonz23 wrote:For the money he's making, Bridgewater should have stayed in Sota as a backup. Sure they would have paid him at least 1.5 mil.

He'll have a chance to start in NY. Heck, the way the Jets have played the past several years, he *will* start some games. If that goes well, he positions himself for starter dollars next offseason.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#4 » by Barcs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 am

Don't forget, Teddy could earn up to $15m this year if he starts every game. I'm definitely not ruling that out at this point. The guy has character, and him and McCown are perfect for Darnold to learn behind.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#5 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Barcs wrote:Don't forget, Teddy could earn up to $15m this year if he starts every game. I'm definitely not ruling that out at this point. The guy has character, and him and McCown are perfect for Darnold to learn behind.

Unless Darnold sucks what are the chances he starts every game? The FO will clamor for Darnold if nothing else to save a few mil.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#6 » by Barcs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Barcs wrote:Don't forget, Teddy could earn up to $15m this year if he starts every game. I'm definitely not ruling that out at this point. The guy has character, and him and McCown are perfect for Darnold to learn behind.

Unless Darnold sucks what are the chances he starts every game? The FO will clamor for Darnold if nothing else to save a few mil.

I don't think they are in any rush to start Darnold. If he earns the job decisively, sure, but no reason to push him out there prematurely. They aren't going to just start him to avoid paying Teddy. They want to win. I could see Teddy starting half the season and then Darnold taking the reigns, but if Teddy looks good, it makes sense to stick with him. I guess we'll have a better idea once training camp gets rolling.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion