Packers Fire Mike McCarthy As Head Coach

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Packers Fire Mike McCarthy As Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Dec 3, 2018 1:41 am

The Green Bay Packers have fired Mike McCarthy as head coach following their loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

\"The 2018 season has not lived up to the expectations and standards of the Green Bay Packers. As a result, I made the difficult decision to relieve Mike McCarthy of his role as head coach, effective immediately,\" Packers president Mark Murphy said in a statement. \"Mike has been a terrific head coach and leader of the Packers for 13 seasons, during which time we experienced a great deal of success on and off the field. We want to thank Mike, his wife, Jessica, and the rest of the McCarthy family for all that they have done for the Packers and the Green Bay and Wisconsin communities. We will immediately begin the process of selecting the next head coach of the Green Bay Packers.\"

Joe Philbin will serve as interim head coach.

McCarthy\'s team fell to 4-7-1 after Sunday\'s 20-17 loss and appears likely to miss the playoffs for the second straight season. 

Via Rob Demovsky/ESPN

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Re: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy As Head Coach 

Post#2 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:53 am

I've wanted McCarthy replaced for about 4 years now. Always felt he was a bit lack-luster. Far from a horrible coach....but just not great.

But all that said....I think it sucks, and was sorta dumb to fire the guy with 4 games left. Season's over. Just play it out, and replace him in the offseason. No need for the public humiliation "this season sucks...so your fired" charade.

Im glad he's gone. And yet I wish him the best. Seems like a decent guy.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Re: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy As Head Coach 

Post#3 » by anatomicbomb » Mon Dec 3, 2018 2:15 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:I've wanted McCarthy replaced for about 4 years now. Always felt he was a bit lack-luster. Far from a horrible coach....but just not great.

But all that said....I think it sucks, and was sorta dumb to fire the guy with 4 games left. Season's over. Just play it out, and replace him in the offseason. No need for the public humiliation "this season sucks...so your fired" charade.

Im glad he's gone. And yet I wish him the best. Seems like a decent guy.

Just didn't really evolve his play-calling, manage to keep a full roster on the field, or develop later-round picks with enough consistency to merit keeping the head coaching position past, like 2013. Rodgers has been carrying McCarthy for too long, hopefully he gets to rest for the remainder of the season.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion