Nobel Prize Winner Explains Raiders\' Logic Of Khalil Mack Trade

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Nobel Prize Winner Explains Raiders\' Logic Of Khalil Mack Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 pm

The Oakland Raiders received the Best Transaction award by MIT for the Khalil Mack, which was explained by Richard Thaler.

Thaler won the 2017 Nobel Prize for Economics and has consulted with an NFL team about the value of draft choices and how to build a team.

Oakland received two first round picks, a third round pick and a fifth round pick for Mack and a second round pick.

“Here’s the argument,” Thaler said. “The Raiders are down, and they will be getting these [four] picks to help them rebuild their team. I believe the only way to win in football is to have players who play better than their salaries. Let’s stipulate that Mack is getting top-of-market value for his services, so it will be hard for him to play better than his salary. Let’s also stipulate Mack is worth the money. But is Mack worth all that money plus four good draft choices?

“Now Jon Gruden can build through these multiple high picks on rookie contracts instead of just having one great player being paid at a market rate. In fact, if Gruden were talking to me, I’d tell him to trade the number four pick for multiple picks. I’d trade down every year. If I had a pick in the top 10, and I wasn’t drafting a quarterback, I’d want to trade down every year. There is value in multiple high picks versus one pick in the top 10.”

Via Peter King/NBC Sports

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: Nobel Prize Winner Explains Raiders\' Logic Of Khalil Mack Trade 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:07 pm

I can't say I agree with him based on my fantasy football experience. The better teams almost always trade depth for top talent and that is how they get ahead. It's actually one of the oldest tricks in the book to give someone multiple decent players and get a star in return.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#3 » by grindtime22 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:08 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:I can't say I agree with him based on my fantasy football experience. The better teams almost always trade depth for top talent and that is how they get ahead. It's actually one of the oldest tricks in the book to give someone multiple decent players and get a star in return.

:lol:
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#4 » by dice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:42 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:I can't say I agree with him based on my fantasy football experience. The better teams almost always trade depth for top talent and that is how they get ahead. It's actually one of the oldest tricks in the book to give someone multiple decent players and get a star in return.

quarterbacks are by far the most vital piece in building a championship team, right? why is that? it's because the top quarterbacks are chronically underpaid. if there's any other position where that is the case i don't know what it is

i checked all the non-QBs from the past several years who were paid market value above like 10% of the cap. dozens of players. their teams' combined records? slightly under .500

because the nfl has a hard salary cap, success is almost ENTIRELY dependent on value contracts and coaching. even the top talent, if fairly paid, will not help their team win games
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion