Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\'

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 66,330
And1: 178
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:30 am

Colin Kaepernick completed a 40-minute workout in front of representatives of eight NFL teams.

Kaepernick wants the NFL to \"stop running\" from him.

\"I\'ve been ready for three years,\'\' Kaepernick said. \"I\'ve been denied for three years. We all know why I came out here: showed it today in front of everybody. We have nothing to hide. So we\'re waiting for the 32 owners, 32 teams, Roger Goodell, all of them stop running. Stop running from the truth. Stop running from the people.

\"We\'re out here. We\'re ready to play. We\'re ready to go anywhere. My agent, Jeff Nalley, is ready to talk any team. I\'ll interview with any team at any time. I\'ve been ready.\"

Kaepernick moved his workout from the Atlanta Falcons\' facility to Charles R. Drew High School. There were approximately 25 teams scheduled to watch Kaepernick at the original site.

Kaepernick\'s camp switched venues following a disagreement between the two sides on the quarterback\'s liability waiver as well as media availability, among other factors.

In a statement, the NFL said it was \"disappointed that Colin did not appear for his workout.\'\'

Nalley seemed skeptical about Kaepernick getting a chance to sign on a team anytime soon when asked if he expected Kaepernick to receive a legitimate opportunity.

\"I hope so, but I don\'t know,\'\' Nalley said. \"I\'ll be honest, I\'m a little bit pessimistic because I\'ve talked to all 32 teams. I\'ve reached out to them recently and none of them have had any interest. I\'ll tell you this: No team asked for this workout. The league office asked for this workout.

Via Vaughn McClure/ESPN

User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 45,076
And1: 5,327
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Guy doesn't seem like he really wants to be signed. He's way too smart a guy to actually want to play and behave the way he is. His preference is very clearly to try to become/remain a martyr instead in an attempt to further his cause. That's fine of course, we all have priorities, and if he thinks his behavior can further advance his social justice cause then I congratulate him for his sincerity and belief in his cause and legitimate real personal monetary sacrifice to it.

That said, I don't think he's actually forwarding his cause at this point either. I think he's probably devaluing his own message somewhat, but I could be wrong, it's hard to say where the impact of his message is felt. However, calling everyone out is just another example of becoming separate rather than building collaboration / togetherness.
floppypoppy
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 5
Joined: Aug 22, 2018
   

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#3 » by floppypoppy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:Guy doesn't seem like he really wants to be signed. He's way too smart a guy to actually want to play and behave the way he is. His preference is very clearly to try to become/remain a martyr instead in an attempt to further his cause. That's fine of course, we all have priorities, and if he thinks his behavior can further advance his social justice cause then I congratulate him for his sincerity and belief in his cause and legitimate real personal monetary sacrifice to it.

That said, I don't think he's actually forwarding his cause at this point either. I think he's probably devaluing his own message somewhat, but I could be wrong, it's hard to say where the impact of his message is felt. However, calling everyone out is just another example of becoming separate rather than building collaboration / togetherness.


guess that depends.. if you believe Kaps camp is lying about the waiver, sure. if not, it seems more like a power move by the nfl.
User avatar
ItsDanger
Analyst
Posts: 3,520
And1: 698
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#4 » by ItsDanger » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Judging by his comments, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team. This is a total circus.
Its all Garbo's fault!
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 45,076
And1: 5,327
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:58 pm

floppypoppy wrote:guess that depends.. if you believe Kaps camp is lying about the waiver, sure. if not, it seems more like a power move by the nfl.


Really doesn't matter to me what the waiver deal is. This was a publicity stunt by the NFL that made very little sense regardless. I'm certainly not saying the NFL is the good guy in this scenario and wants him back. I think the NFL wants to be perceived as the good guy, but even if they really did want him back (which I have real doubts about), they're 2 years too late to claim any moral high ground.

However, Kaepernick just giving off defiant responses about how everyone is out to get him over and over again isn't going to convince someone to sign him. Not sure how many people you know who go on job interviews and flip off the potential employer on the way out the door but it isn't going to win friends and influence people so to speak.

Kaepernick's been doing that for a couple years now. At this point if you removed all potential risk of distraction then you'd be looking at a QB that's 3-16 over his last two seasons with a 22 TD / 9 INT 185 yards/game performance over that time. That is relatively pedestrian and clearly non-starting QB quality. Since then, he's sat out for two years so is likely considerably worse than that, and off the field, he has done absolutely nothing to make you think he actually values the team and winning over his personal agenda and quite the contrary at every point seems to make it clear that his personal agenda still trumps anything else.

I do think the league blackballed him because they didn't want to deal with his take on social issues. While I actually agree with his take, you don't mix your profession and your personal politics. If you're a superstar then you can get away with it because the team needs you. If you're barely hanging on then you can't, and Kaepernick was barely hanging on and for some reason just either didn't realize it or figured screw it, I'm not going to get a decent contract ever again anyway, might as well go all in on being a social warrior even if it hurts my career.

Either way, he knows all this and makes these choices consciously. He's a really bright guy. It isn't an accident.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,084
And1: 2,074
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#6 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:56 pm

If I was the NFL I'd tell this guy to stop sucking. There's always the CFL!
arasu
Pro Prospect
Posts: 788
And1: 92
Joined: Dec 08, 2012

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#7 » by arasu » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:15 pm

The NFL did this to help the few teams that were interested in Colin, but he has monetized his martyr status thoroughly and realized that this would through a wrench into that whole scheme--that he might have to actually work for a living. So he purposefully screwed it up to make it look like he is still the victim here. He is not, and this incident is proof to anyone who isn't blind.
23artest23
Head Coach
Posts: 6,450
And1: 49
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Central Indiana corn field

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#8 » by 23artest23 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:27 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:If I was the NFL I'd tell this guy to stop sucking. There's always the CFL!


Ive used this site for over 12 years or so thus I've seen you and your opinions around a bit. I've grown to generally recognize you and your opinions because I often agree with them. With that said, you should stick to basketball. People watch part of the Thursday night game...a couple games on Sunday...then they start to think they know football. It's comical really. With that said, Kaepernick doesn't suck nor is talent the reason that he isn't playing. Actually, Kaepernick is quite talented and has a skill set that lends itself very well to today's NFL. It's painfully obvious Kaepernick is easily talented enough to be in the NFL.
Image
DoItALL9
Analyst
Posts: 3,729
And1: 756
Joined: Oct 08, 2016
       

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#9 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:04 pm

So none of the eight teams have any interest after the workout?
floppypoppy
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 5
Joined: Aug 22, 2018
   

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#10 » by floppypoppy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:31 pm

dougthonus wrote:
floppypoppy wrote:guess that depends.. if you believe Kaps camp is lying about the waiver, sure. if not, it seems more like a power move by the nfl.


Really doesn't matter to me what the waiver deal is. This was a publicity stunt by the NFL that made very little sense regardless. I'm certainly not saying the NFL is the good guy in this scenario and wants him back. I think the NFL wants to be perceived as the good guy, but even if they really did want him back (which I have real doubts about), they're 2 years too late to claim any moral high ground.

However, Kaepernick just giving off defiant responses about how everyone is out to get him over and over again isn't going to convince someone to sign him. Not sure how many people you know who go on job interviews and flip off the potential employer on the way out the door but it isn't going to win friends and influence people so to speak.

Kaepernick's been doing that for a couple years now. At this point if you removed all potential risk of distraction then you'd be looking at a QB that's 3-16 over his last two seasons with a 22 TD / 9 INT 185 yards/game performance over that time. That is relatively pedestrian and clearly non-starting QB quality. Since then, he's sat out for two years so is likely considerably worse than that, and off the field, he has done absolutely nothing to make you think he actually values the team and winning over his personal agenda and quite the contrary at every point seems to make it clear that his personal agenda still trumps anything else.

I do think the league blackballed him because they didn't want to deal with his take on social issues. While I actually agree with his take, you don't mix your profession and your personal politics. If you're a superstar then you can get away with it because the team needs you. If you're barely hanging on then you can't, and Kaepernick was barely hanging on and for some reason just either didn't realize it or figured screw it, I'm not going to get a decent contract ever again anyway, might as well go all in on being a social warrior even if it hurts my career.

Either way, he knows all this and makes these choices consciously. He's a really bright guy. It isn't an accident.


2nd amendment makes opinions here irrelevant.
it may seem like personal politics to you, but human rights isn't a political issue.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 45,076
And1: 5,327
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:04 pm

floppypoppy wrote:2nd amendment makes opinions here irrelevant.
it may seem like personal politics to you, but human rights isn't a political issue.


Most people who quote the 1st amendment (assume you mean 1st and not 2nd?) don't seem to really understand what it means. Free speech doesn't give you unlimited free speech in any situation or circumstance without consequence. It protects you from specific consequences under specific circumstances. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think his 1st amendment rights have been violated.

I'm not sure what you mean by human rights isn't politics in this circumstance. Kaepernick is absolutely pushing his personal social beliefs and trying to enact change. I don't know if you just don't like the word politics, replace it with whatever word or phrase works for you. He's bringing a large non-work agenda into the workplace in such a way that appears to have significantly negatively impacted his previous employers and the league as a whole.

You could question the values of the NFL fan base to the extent that his social agenda hurts rather than helps the league (and some have), but it's just as reasonable to say it is his specific expression of his social agenda which appears anti-American instead of anti-discrimination that turns people off because at its core, I think virtually everyone agrees with the message of social equality and justice (though maybe I'm optimistic there).
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,084
And1: 2,074
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:57 pm

23artest23 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:If I was the NFL I'd tell this guy to stop sucking. There's always the CFL!


Ive used this site for over 12 years or so thus I've seen you and your opinions around a bit. I've grown to generally recognize you and your opinions because I often agree with them. With that said, you should stick to basketball. People watch part of the Thursday night game...a couple games on Sunday...then they start to think they know football. It's comical really. With that said, Kaepernick doesn't suck nor is talent the reason that he isn't playing. Actually, Kaepernick is quite talented and has a skill set that lends itself very well to today's NFL. It's painfully obvious Kaepernick is easily talented enough to be in the NFL.


I know more about the business of basketball than the business side of football but I do know a lot about the game and talent. Kaperdick did what is know in the military as "took a dump in his own mess kit!" But that clown was benched because he sucked. He looked good at one time but his ship has sailed and he missed the boat. If he's got any thing left he should go to the CFL maybe he'll stand for "On Canada?" But if he does and he plays well maybe he can get one more shot at the NFL before he's too old and ends up.working at Crew Car Wash.
floppypoppy
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 5
Joined: Aug 22, 2018
   

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#13 » by floppypoppy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 pm

dougthonus wrote:
floppypoppy wrote:2nd amendment makes opinions here irrelevant.
it may seem like personal politics to you, but human rights isn't a political issue.


Most people who quote the 1st amendment (assume you mean 1st and not 2nd?) don't seem to really understand what it means. Free speech doesn't give you unlimited free speech in any situation or circumstance without consequence. It protects you from specific consequences under specific circumstances. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think his 1st amendment rights have been violated.

I'm not sure what you mean by human rights isn't politics in this circumstance. Kaepernick is absolutely pushing his personal social beliefs and trying to enact change. I don't know if you just don't like the word politics, replace it with whatever word or phrase works for you. He's bringing a large non-work agenda into the workplace in such a way that appears to have significantly negatively impacted his previous employers and the league as a whole.

You could question the values of the NFL fan base to the extent that his social agenda hurts rather than helps the league (and some have), but it's just as reasonable to say it is his specific expression of his social agenda which appears anti-American instead of anti-discrimination that turns people off because at its core, I think virtually everyone agrees with the message of social equality and justice (though maybe I'm optimistic there).


typo, yes. clearly a misleading one, my bad.
you used the word 'defiant' to label Kaps response. then deduce his intentions and motivation from your perception of his actions. you're clearly a smart guy, but this type of thinking is reactionary. Since we're all guilty of it, our forefathers attempted to protect us from ourselves with the freedom of speech. Kap has every right to be defiant while he's singlehandedly taking on one of the worlds largest conglomerates. judging him based off the words he chooses, is irrelevant (as i said) but also plain un-american.
what don't i understand?
don't hate on people using the same logic as you, but arriving at a different conclusion. the fact that we all can express ourselves is part of what makes this country so amazing.
human rights are indivisible, not political. where, when or how you address them, does not change that.. in my opinion. the conversation has become a political one, but don't confuse that with his original action.
i wonder how many times you've been treated poorly due to the color of your skin.. i'm guessing not many.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 45,076
And1: 5,327
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:29 pm

floppypoppy wrote:you used the word 'defiant' to label Kaps response. then deduce his intentions and motivation from your perception of his actions. you're clearly a smart guy, but this type of thinking is reactionary. Since we're all guilty of it, our forefathers attempted to protect us from ourselves with the freedom of speech. Kap has every right to be defiant while he's singlehandedly taking on one of the worlds largest conglomerates. judging him based off the words he chooses, is irrelevant (as i said) but also plain un-american.


I agree that Kaepernick has the right to be defiant if he chooses. Each individual NFL team has a right to not hire him if they feel he will damage their franchise or provide less value than another player they could choose.

Of course I'm judging him off words he chooses as well as his actions as well as best I can piece them together which may not be a perfect fit as to what he intends (and also filtered by the way the media reports it), but what else am I (or anyone else) supposed to judge him based on?

As far as I can tell, his overall message isn't about lack of social justice and poor treatment of blacks within the NFL. I don't think he set out to take on the NFL or intended to take them on, but after (likely unintentionally) costing them somewhere from 10s to 100s of millions of dollars he chose not to separate his personal work with his business work to relieve his employer either.

don't hate on people using the same logic as you, but arriving at a different conclusion. the fact that we all can express ourselves is part of what makes this country so amazing.


As far as I can tell, I'm not hating on anyone. I've only said Kaepernick's actions are intentional. I haven't judged them as good or bad. I think he has prioritized the outcomes he wants and acted in the interest of his most important outcomes. I've also stated I'm in favor of his overall message of equal justice for all and think highly of him for putting his social agenda above his work in his priority list.

human rights are indivisible, not political. where, when or how you address them, does not change that.. in my opinion. the conversation has become a political one, but don't confuse that with his original action.


No one is arguing against human rights though. Being pro-human rights isn't what is upsetting anyone. You can absolutely take something that doesn't need to be political and make it political. That isn't always a bad thing either. To enact real change you do sometimes need to shock people or have some discomfort. People don't change through comfort.

i wonder how many times you've been treated poorly due to the color of your skin.. i'm guessing not many.


I'm in an interacial marriage and am frequently in a room where I'm the only white person, frequently have people only speaking in a language I don't understand, and am often treated very differently based on those tihngs.

I've also had to work overseas as part of a global company (in multiple countries) where I was the only one that didn't speak the local language and where there was very clear favoritism towards locals.

Not a 1:1 correlation to what I think you're implying but probably a much broader perspective than many.
floppypoppy
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 5
Joined: Aug 22, 2018
   

Re: Re: Colin Kaepernick Works Out For Eight Teams, Asks NFL To \'Stop Running\' 

Post#15 » by floppypoppy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:12 pm

you have no right to judge another man.
you are not god, but your pomposity is clear as day my friend.
disagreeing is dandy. attempt to twist context to fit your argument, is proof that you're not as intelligent as you think you are.
a white male who says they understand racism cause their partner is another race.. shame on you.
do better
we done here

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion