Jon Gruden To Step Down As Raiders\' Head Coach

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jon Gruden To Step Down As Raiders\' Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 am

Jon Gruden has informed his staff that he plans to step down as head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders.

An NFL investigation has shown that Gruden casually and frequently unleashed misogynistic and homophobic language over several years to denigrate people around the game and to mock some of the league’s momentous changes.

Gruden denounced the emergence of women as referees, the drafting of a gay player and the tolerance of players protesting during the playing of the national anthem.

Gruden\'s emails were sent to Bruce Allen and others while he was working for ESPN.

In the emails, Gruden called the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, a “****” and a “clueless anti football pussy” and said that Goodell should not have pressured Jeff Fisher, then the coach of the Rams, to draft “queers,” a reference to Michael Sam, a gay player chosen by the team in 2014.

The NFL said last week that it shared emails with the Raiders in which Gruden made derogatory comments.

Gruden also criticized President Obama during his re-election campaign in 2012, as well as then-vice president Joe Biden, whom Gruden called a “nervous clueless pussy.” He used similar words to describe Goodell and DeMaurice Smith, the executive director of the N.F.L. Players Association.

Gruden returned to the NFL as a head coach in 2018 by signing a 10-year, $100 million contract with the Raiders. 

Via Ken Belson, Katherine Rosman/New York Times

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,680

Re: Jon Gruden To Step Down As Raiders\' Head Coach 

Post#2 » by nedleeds » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:58 am

That escalated quickly.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,759

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:35 pm

First, what a trash individual, thank goodness he's gone.

However, as someone with a gay daughter, I really want to know why when looking at these two stories:

Demoris Smith has big lips
We should exclude all gays from football

That the 1st of these was the only one I heard about until today.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
slay25
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#4 » by slay25 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:43 pm

really glad gruden resigned over his private emails, poor choice of words and great job by the new york times for such investigative journalism.

now someone tell me how doctor fauci commits perjury and we still get to trick or treat thanks to him! john gruden is hArmless to society
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#5 » by anatomicbomb » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:13 pm

slay25 wrote:really glad gruden resigned over his private emails, poor choice of words and great job by the new york times for such investigative journalism.

now someone tell me how doctor fauci commits perjury and we still get to trick or treat thanks to him! john gruden is hArmless to society

you gotta lay off the bath salts - this is incoherent.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#6 » by logical_art » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:22 am

dougthonus wrote:First, what a trash individual, thank goodness he's gone.

However, as someone with a gay daughter, I really want to know why when looking at these two stories:

Why is he trash? Do you know the body of his life and whether or not on balance his actions -- not words -- have been good or bad? I surely don't, and frankly I don't care about someone's opinions that don't manifest into actions that actually affect peoples lives.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#7 » by J-Mezzy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:42 am

logical_art wrote:

Why is he trash? Do you know the body of his life and whether or not on balance his actions -- not words -- have been good or bad? I surely don't, and frankly I don't care about someone's opinions that don't manifest into actions that actually affect peoples lives.

Anyone pushing for someone not to get a job or opportunity solely because they are gay is a trash individual.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:34 am

logical_art wrote:frankly I don't care about someone's opinions that don't manifest into actions that actually affect peoples lives.

The thoughts he had expressed to people of power that extend racism, and homophobia absolutely do affect people's lives.
@doug_thonus on twitter
logical_art
RealGM

Post#9 » by logical_art » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:48 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:
logical_art wrote:

Anyone pushing for someone not to get a job or opportunity solely because they are gay is a trash individual.

So lets say the Norman Borlaug, the guy who's research led to the Green Revolution and saved millions of lives around the world, lets say he once talked bad about a guy job applicant and had reservations about hiring him.

Trash individual?

Meanwhile people like you and me, we act self righteously online but presumably do very little to actually improve peoples lives IRL. But are we good people because we hold the correct opinions, regardless of our actual actions in the world?
logical_art
RealGM

Post#10 » by logical_art » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:49 pm

dougthonus wrote:
logical_art wrote:frankly I don't care about someone's opinions that don't manifest into actions that actually affect peoples lives.

The thoughts he had expressed to people of power that extend racism, and homophobia absolutely do affect people's lives.

How so?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:23 am

logical_art wrote:How so?

Not sure what to tell you if you don't see it. If you don't think spreading racism and homophobia amongst people in power isn't impactful then I'm not sure what to tell you.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#12 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:28 am

logical_art wrote:So lets say the Norman Borlaug, the guy who's research led to the Green Revolution and saved millions of lives around the world, lets say he once talked bad about a guy job applicant and had reservations about hiring him.

Trash individual?

Meanwhile people like you and me, we act self righteously online but presumably do very little to actually improve peoples lives IRL. But are we good people because we hold the correct opinions, regardless of our actual actions in the world?

How do you know what I (or anyone else here) does to improve peoples lives?

Either way, being trash morally and improving people's lives through your work are not mutually exclusive.

If someone cured cancer and was also a racist ****, they'd still be trash individually. It doesn't mean the results of their work are trash, but Gruden isn't curing cancer, he's a football coach. He adds no value to the world except entertainment, and if you personally think that value is great, feel free to. I won't disagree with you or agree with you.

I suspect instead that you just don't care about racism and homophobia, which is also your right.

Instead, I think racists and homophobes are trash which is my right.
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion