Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 90,304
And1: 258
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:39 pm

Deshaun Watson has made a last-ditch effort to resolve his lingering suspension situation, according to a report.

Watson \"would accept\" an eight-game suspension and pay a $5 million fine to resolve the situation.

The NFL is believed to be pushing for a year-long suspension for the Cleveland Browns quarterback.

Via Mike Florio/Pro Football Talk

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 8,128
And1: 382
Joined: Aug 22, 2001
Location: NY
       

Re: Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 pm

How about a 24 game ban? One for each harassment case against him.

Add in a significant fine and no pay until he returns.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,512
And1: 1,882
Joined: Apr 24, 2019
 

Re: Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine 

Post#3 » by LipSkinMatter » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 pm

TheCage4 wrote:How about a 24 game ban? One for each harassment case against him.

Add in a significant fine and no pay until he returns.


:crazy:
23artest23
Head Coach
Posts: 7,038
And1: 183
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Central Indiana corn field

Re: Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine 

Post#4 » by 23artest23 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:37 am

I bet. The dude shouldn't be blessed with a career of that magnitude.
Image
Hold That
RealGM
Posts: 12,183
And1: 596
Joined: Dec 07, 2001
     

Re: Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine 

Post#5 » by Hold That » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:57 pm

We live in a world where everyone wants to go through the court of public opinion instead of the court of law. Man wasn’t found guilty of any criminal charges. Big Ben got 6 games for the rape. Watson was not accused of rape but sexual harassment. It’s not the same, just like battery isn’t the same as murder.
23artest23
Head Coach
Posts: 7,038
And1: 183
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Central Indiana corn field

Re: Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine 

Post#6 » by 23artest23 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:18 pm

Hold That wrote:We live in a world where everyone wants to go through the court of public opinion instead of the court of law. Man wasn’t found guilty of any criminal charges. Big Ben got 6 games for the rape. Watson was not accused of rape but sexual harassment. It’s not the same, just like battery isn’t the same as murder.


Put yourself in the shoes of the NFL. Is the bad publicity and the problems this all caused going away because Watson didn't face criminal charges? Are the costs of the investigation going to be refunded? I could on and on but my point is that Watson and this scandal had a very real price regardless. He deserves a punishment on that alone but he was likely guilty of atleast some of the 24 that came forward. There is just too much showing that to be the case.

What I find interesting is what is coming in the future. How many women didn't come forward yet but will in the years to come? How will that be addressed? I can't remember the number but I heard on one of the sports talk shows a huge number that was representing either the number of different sessions he had or number of different women he had sessions with. Wish I'd have caught what I was hearing better but I'm wanting to say it was 300 something. Assume I'm a nut or thats way off so say 100 instead...I'd think that would leave a high potential for this issue to reemerge in the future.
Image
Hold That
RealGM
Posts: 12,183
And1: 596
Joined: Dec 07, 2001
     

Re: Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine 

Post#7 » by Hold That » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:19 pm

23artest23 wrote:
Hold That wrote:We live in a world where everyone wants to go through the court of public opinion instead of the court of law. Man wasn’t found guilty of any criminal charges. Big Ben got 6 games for the rape. Watson was not accused of rape but sexual harassment. It’s not the same, just like battery isn’t the same as murder.


Put yourself in the shoes of the NFL. Is the bad publicity and the problems this all caused going away because Watson didn't face criminal charges? Are the costs of the investigation going to be refunded? I could on and on but my point is that Watson and this scandal had a very real price regardless. He deserves a punishment on that alone but he was likely guilty of atleast some of the 24 that came forward. There is just too much showing that to be the case.

What I find interesting is what is coming in the future. How many women didn't come forward yet but will in the years to come? How will that be addressed? I can't remember the number but I heard on one of the sports talk shows a huge number that was representing either the number of different sessions he had or number of different women he had sessions with. Wish I'd have caught what I was hearing better but I'm wanting to say it was 300 something. Assume I'm a nut or thats way off so say 100 instead...I'd think that would leave a high potential for this issue to reemerge in the future.


We live in a world with short attention spans. This is a fact, people won’t care in less than a month. Sponsors will not withdraw and viewership will not suffer. NFL will move on from a sexual harassment case, they’ve dealt with way worse. Hell they found a way to sweep Henry Ruggs situation under the rug that it’s no longer being talked about. And there was a DUI and gruesome death involved.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 53,162
And1: 13,164
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:
 

Re: Report: Deshaun Watson Would Accept Eight-Game Ban, Pay $5M Fine 

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:42 pm

Hold That wrote:We live in a world with short attention spans. This is a fact, people won’t care in less than a month. Sponsors will not withdraw and viewership will not suffer. NFL will move on from a sexual harassment case, they’ve dealt with way worse. Hell they found a way to sweep Henry Ruggs situation under the rug that it’s no longer being talked about. And there was a DUI and gruesome death involved.


The general public doesn't care about any of this stuff past the news cycle. Watson probably could have settled all of this way earlier and had this be a much better thing for everyone. He dragged it out forever and forced the league's hand, so the league is going to act tough.

Ray Lewis appeared to have had someone killed. Kobe Bryant raped someone. A large number of similar caliber stars have done worse and come back from it and been fan favorites and have suffered no real repercussions. In the end, also, people only care because he's famous. We have criminal statues and trials for people whose behavior is bad enough that we want to separate them from society and while that certainly isn't a perfect system, generally we aren't denying people the right to work for non criminally proven behavior.

In this sense, the league will suspend Watson for some period of time which is probably deserved, but going over six games seems pretty extreme. Is this worse than Jamal Lewis domestic abuse (or all the other domestic abuse by other players). Roethlisberger whom was accused of raping people multiple times and faced no punishment? The sheer number of complaints is probably the other thing that gets Watson into more trouble. He's clearly doing this serially and didn't understand his behavior was wrong, but the actual outcomes of what happened with him seem considerably less than what the NFL has long turned a blind eye to in the past.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion