Tua Tagovailoa Considered Retirement In Offseason Due To Concussions

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Tua Tagovailoa Considered Retirement In Offseason Due To Concussions 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:20 pm

Tua Tagovailoa considered retiring following his 2022 season, in which he endured multiple stints in concussion protocol.

Tagovailoa was ruled out for the season when he suffered another concussion in Week 17.

Tagovailoa also told reporters that he spent time this offseason learning how to properly fall in a way that will protect his head in the future.

Tagovailoa finished 2022 with 3,548 yards, 25 touchdowns and eight interceptions, along with a league-leading 105.5 quarterback rating in 13 starts.

Via Mike Sando/The Athletic

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,447

Re: Tua Tagovailoa Considered Retirement In Offseason Due To Concussions 

Post#2 » by Revived » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:24 pm

Is there a proper way to fall in football especially as a running QB when you’re basically being tackled or hit by others at high speed? I feel like you can’t control how you fall because it would depend on how you’re being tackled.

Tua is a really great person so sucks he’s had to deal with so many concussions so early in his career. I hope it doesn’t impact him negatively after football.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Re: Tua Tagovailoa Considered Retirement In Offseason Due To Concussions 

Post#3 » by hippesthippo » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:49 am

Revived wrote:Is there a proper way to fall in football especially as a running QB when you’re basically being tackled or hit by others at high speed? I feel like you can’t control how you fall because it would depend on how you’re being tackled.

Tua is a really great person so sucks he’s had to deal with so many concussions so early in his career. I hope it doesn’t impact him negatively after football.

This is the problem with short QB's. They have to get outside the pocket far to often in order to find clear throwing lanes, so naturally they're going to take more hits. Tua really isn't a running QB.

Every now and then you get an outlier. Drew Brees was slightly taller and the Saints invested a lot of money on their interior O-Line; he knew how to step up through the traffic to get clear lanes. Russell Wilson ran outside far more than was necessary because it was easier to find open lanes. He's built stocky as hell though and was better at avoiding the big hits.

Tua gets outside the pocket early and it's like he doesn't even see the big hit coming. That or he's just really determined to wait for those routes to develop to get the throw off. Unfortunately, he doesn't have Russell's build or Bree's pocket presence.

And yes, there are ways to fall better even outside the pocket in football. You gotta be willing to give up on a pass and brace for it tho. Under pressure, he'll probably fall back on bad habits. With the injuries he's had and the amount of repeated concussions, I'd tell him the same thing I'd tell Stafford: it's time to call it quits. Tua has made enough money to live a very, very comfortable lifestyle for the rest of his life if he's smart and finds something else to do.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion