Re: Bettman: 'Not Giving Up On Greater Phoenix Area'

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Bettman: 'Not Giving Up On Greater Phoenix Area' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 8, 2017 6:03 pm

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman explained the reasoning behind a letter he sent to the Arizona Legislature, warning that the Coyotes cannot make their long-term home in Glendale.

"I don't want it misconstrued. We are not giving up on the Coyotes in the Greater Phoenix area," Bettman said Wednesday, after the NHL general managers meetings wrapped up for the week.

Via ESPN.com

Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#2 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 8:45 pm

While I realize that Bettman is the messenger, he is an idiot who discriminates against, and uses as patsies, Canadian hockey fans. Because he blocks franchises from moving to Canada, the Canadian market remains under supplied and therefore ticket prices are through the roof. By not allowing a club to transfer to Canada, he is driving up the expansion fee for any possible team in Quebec City or Southern Ontario. Massive expansion fees result in great debt/investment for the owners resulting in sky high ticket prices. The highly profitable Canadian teams, along with the more established traditional US markets, subsidize the financial loser franchises which exist in non hockey markets such as Phoenix and the soon to be failed franchise in Las Vegas. Why should Canadians be unable to get tickets at the inflated face value for their closest team when there are teams selling tickets for as low a song, and then have the insult of money from their tickets going to subsidize teams that should never have been in non hockey markets in the first place? Hey, I've got an idea, why not put an expansion team in Atlanta. I'm sure it would succeed there and I don't believe its ever been tried.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Chad_Warden
Junior
And1: 286

Post#3 » by Chad_Warden » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:While I realize that Bettman is the messenger, he is an idiot who discriminates against, and uses as patsies, Canadian hockey fans. Because he blocks franchises from moving to Canada, the Canadian market remains under supplied and therefore ticket prices are through the roof. By not allowing a club to transfer to Canada, he is driving up the expansion fee for any possible team in Quebec City or Southern Ontario. Massive expansion fees result in great debt/investment for the owners resulting in sky high ticket prices. The highly profitable Canadian teams, along with the more established traditional US markets, subsidize the financial loser franchises which exist in non hockey markets such as Phoenix and the soon to be failed franchise in Las Vegas. Why should Canadians be unable to get tickets at the inflated face value for their closest team when there are teams selling tickets for as low a song, and then have the insult of money from their tickets going to subsidize teams that should never have been in non hockey markets in the first place? Hey, I've got an idea, why not put an expansion team in Atlanta. I'm sure it would succeed there and I don't believe its ever been tried.

He blocks franchises from moving to Canada? Huh? Atlanta moved to Winnipeg.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#4 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Chad_Warden wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:While I realize that Bettman is the messenger, he is an idiot who discriminates against, and uses as patsies, Canadian hockey fans. Because he blocks franchises from moving to Canada, the Canadian market remains under supplied and therefore ticket prices are through the roof. By not allowing a club to transfer to Canada, he is driving up the expansion fee for any possible team in Quebec City or Southern Ontario. Massive expansion fees result in great debt/investment for the owners resulting in sky high ticket prices. The highly profitable Canadian teams, along with the more established traditional US markets, subsidize the financial loser franchises which exist in non hockey markets such as Phoenix and the soon to be failed franchise in Las Vegas. Why should Canadians be unable to get tickets at the inflated face value for their closest team when there are teams selling tickets for as low a song, and then have the insult of money from their tickets going to subsidize teams that should never have been in non hockey markets in the first place? Hey, I've got an idea, why not put an expansion team in Atlanta. I'm sure it would succeed there and I don't believe its ever been tried.

He blocks franchises from moving to Canada? Huh? Atlanta moved to Winnipeg.

Look, if an American owner for the Thrashers could have been found who proposed the team relocate to an American city, that team would not be in Winnipeg today.

Explain why Phoenix has a team. It is a fricken financial shamblesland. Bettman blocked that team from going to Hamilton. In Hamilton it would be making mega profits and be a net contributor to equalization.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/why-are-nhl-tickets-expensive-in-toronto-because-theyre-cheap-in-phoenix/article34299726/
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion