Senators Owner Says Team 'Could Look Good Somewhere Else'

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 74,554
And1: 203
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Senators Owner Says Team 'Could Look Good Somewhere Else' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk floated the notion of relocating his franchise, saying Friday that the team "could look good somewhere else" if its market conditions don't improve.

Melnyk spoke to reporters on the eve of the NHL 100 Classic, an outdoor game in Ottawa, Ontario, between the Montreal Canadiens and the Senators to commemorate the NHL's centennial.

His remarks came at a time when cities such as Seattle, Houston and Quebec City are all seeking NHL teams.

Via ESPN.com

Sam195
Analyst
Posts: 3,263
And1: 301
Joined: May 18, 2013

Re: Senators Owner Says Team 'Could Look Good Somewhere Else' 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 am

Moving to Quebec City draws the least backlash since the team stays in Canada. If they rebrand as Nordiques 2.0 they will sell out that new arena and generate major interest reviving their inter-provincial rivalry with the Habs. Anaheim Ducks should relocate to Houston. Seattle looks like it will get an expansion franchise like Vegas.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,265
And1: 131
Joined: Jun 08, 2006

Re: Senators Owner Says Team 'Could Look Good Somewhere Else' 

Post#3 » by larry14r » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:15 am

Sam195 wrote:Moving to Quebec City draws the least backlash since the team stays in Canada. If they rebrand as Nordiques 2.0 they will sell out that new arena and generate major interest reviving their inter-provincial rivalry with the Habs. Anaheim Ducks should relocate to Houston. Seattle looks like it will get an expansion franchise like Vegas.



Hell no Ducks stay where they are at.
Sam195
Analyst
Posts: 3,263
And1: 301
Joined: May 18, 2013

Re: Senators Owner Says Team 'Could Look Good Somewhere Else' 

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:48 pm

larry14r wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Moving to Quebec City draws the least backlash since the team stays in Canada. If they rebrand as Nordiques 2.0 they will sell out that new arena and generate major interest reviving their inter-provincial rivalry with the Habs. Anaheim Ducks should relocate to Houston. Seattle looks like it will get an expansion franchise like Vegas.



Hell no Ducks stay where they are at.


Lol everyone in LA is a Kings fan they have a better jersey, branding and history. Ducks have awful tv ratings even when they are winning. And I don't think their games sellout much. If they become the Houston Ducks they would sell out Toyota Center and start an interstate rivalry with the Dallas Stars. Ducks lease ends in 4 years after this season I read not sure if there is an opt out clause or exit fee but if they move to Houston they will be profitable. Ducks are bleeding money unlike the Kings.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,265
And1: 131
Joined: Jun 08, 2006

Re: Senators Owner Says Team 'Could Look Good Somewhere Else' 

Post#5 » by larry14r » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Sam195 wrote:
larry14r wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Moving to Quebec City draws the least backlash since the team stays in Canada. If they rebrand as Nordiques 2.0 they will sell out that new arena and generate major interest reviving their inter-provincial rivalry with the Habs. Anaheim Ducks should relocate to Houston. Seattle looks like it will get an expansion franchise like Vegas.



Hell no Ducks stay where they are at.


Lol everyone in LA is a Kings fan they have a better jersey, branding and history. Ducks have awful tv ratings even when they are winning. And I don't think their games sellout much. If they become the Houston Ducks they would sell out Toyota Center and start an interstate rivalry with the Dallas Stars. Ducks lease ends in 4 years after this season I read not sure if there is an opt out clause or exit fee but if they move to Houston they will be profitable. Ducks are bleeding money unlike the Kings.


Yeah, but I like the freeway face off rivalry instead.
User avatar
caronimo
Rookie
Posts: 1,205
And1: 53
Joined: Jun 26, 2013

Re: Senators Owner Says Team 'Could Look Good Somewhere Else' 

Post#6 » by caronimo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:09 am

Wrong team photo realgm

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion