Should the NBA keep the play-in tournament format permanently?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Should the NBA keep the play-in tournament format permanently? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Mon May 3, 2021 4:55 pm

1. Yes
2. No
jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Re: Should the NBA keep the play-in tournament format permanently? 

Post#2 » by jk31 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:05 pm

Yes, but only if they reduce the number of regular season games!
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu May 6, 2021 11:49 pm

jk31 wrote:Yes, but only if they reduce the number of regular season games!

Why would a fan want less basketball? :noway:
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#4 » by Barcs » Fri May 7, 2021 7:17 pm

Get rid of it. It cheapens the value of making the playoffs. I don't want 2/3rds of the league in the playoffs. The 9s and 10s are all .500 or worse.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
jk31
Rookie

Post#5 » by jk31 » Sat May 8, 2021 1:40 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

Because quality suffers from having 3-4 games a week? No real practices, starters get rested to be healthy in the playoffs. All that is a result of having way too many games. Additionally if you have less games the value of each game increases.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#6 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun May 9, 2021 10:47 pm

Keeps more teams in the hunt and leads to less throwing off for draft picks. It'll be good in the long haul to keep teams honest and hungry. Only fans and teams that don't like it are those setting 7th and 8th seed that don't want extra couple games to play top seeded teams. Keep it.
Metsis
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Metsis » Mon May 10, 2021 5:55 am

No, the play-in tournament is good for the fans, but the players are already breaking down so much that the injury lists are no joke. We need players ready to go when the games come and not hurt. We need this to get the best possible games we can get and for the NBA to put out the best possible product as well. Who wants to see the Lakers without LeBron and AD? Or Nets without KD and Harden?

There needs to be fewer games and they need to do something about the draft lottery to make it less enticing to just throw away a season. Giving it all you got should always be rewarded over tanking. Just make the "missed the playoffs" teams ping pong ball percentages equal. And maybe add more balls for consecutively missing the play-offs and not based on the performance of the last year. So teams that regularly miss the play-offs get a higher shot at the top picks, but there is no reward for being the worst.

I personally would like to see more competitive games and healthier players. Right now, the MVP race is basically "last man standing". And that just isn't what it is supposed to be.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#8 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon May 10, 2021 12:03 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:Keeps more teams in the hunt and leads to less throwing off for draft picks. It'll be good in the long haul to keep teams honest and hungry. Only fans and teams that don't like it are those setting 7th and 8th seed that don't want extra couple games to play top seeded teams. Keep it.

Where I am too.

And keep the 82 games too you big wusses.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#9 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm

The 7 seed should not be punished.

The 9th and 10th ranked teams should have a one-game playoff, then face the 8th ranked team to play for the last playoff spot.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon May 10, 2021 6:04 pm

jk31 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Because quality suffers from having 3-4 games a week? No real practices, starters get rested to be healthy in the playoffs. All that is a result of having way too many games. Additionally if you have less games the value of each game increases.

Jordan played less than 78 game 3 times. One of those seasons was his comeback season. He averaged 38.3 minutes per game for his career.... and I'm pretty sure he practiced.

I can understand the players wanting to get paid more to do less, but we're fans, right?

But sure, if you want to pay more to get less, have them play less games. :crazy:
jk31
Rookie

Post#11 » by jk31 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
jk31 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Why would a fan want less basketball? :noway:

Jordan played less than 78 game 3 times. One of those seasons was his comeback season. He averaged 38.3 minutes per game for his career.... and I'm pretty sure he practiced.

I can understand the players wanting to get paid more to do less, but we're fans, right?

But sure, if you want to pay more to get less, have them play less games. :crazy:

practice in the mean of Team practice. you Know like having time to prepare for the next opponent and Not just Shootaround "practices". nba Teams dont practice very often. everyone knows that and even some nba players confirm that. i Listen to a (german) Podcast Series that follows Mo Wagner since his first college year. He confirmed several Times that since He is in the nba they dont practice nearly as much as they did in college.

Jordan wouldnt average 38 Minutes a game today as sport science has developed much further and knows that it is Not Good for what a Player can bring to the court. Also it was Michael **** Jordan. Not everyone can bring to the court what He did.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 11, 2021 2:34 am

jk31 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
jk31 wrote:

practice in the mean of Team practice. you Know like having time to prepare for the next opponent and Not just Shootaround "practices". nba Teams dont practice very often. everyone knows that and even some nba players confirm that. i Listen to a (german) Podcast Series that follows Mo Wagner since his first college year. He confirmed several Times that since He is in the nba they dont practice nearly as much as they did in college.

Jordan wouldnt average 38 Minutes a game today as sport science has developed much further and knows that it is Not Good for what a Player can bring to the court. Also it was Michael **** Jordan. Not everyone can bring to the court what He did.

I know what you meant. It wasn't just Jordan. Players played more and got injured less. Stockton played 82 games in 16 seasons. I believe players are getting hurt because of how they are training off the court.... but that's a different discussion. And yes, they practiced more then as well..
nysb
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by nysb » Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am

It only adds to the NBA, giving lesser teams a shot, and the fans more to watch. It's a win in my book.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#14 » by RipCityKJ » Tue May 11, 2021 4:24 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
jk31 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Jordan played less than 78 game 3 times. One of those seasons was his comeback season. He averaged 38.3 minutes per game for his career.... and I'm pretty sure he practiced.

I know what you meant. It wasn't just Jordan. Players played more and got injured less. Stockton played 82 games in 16 seasons. I believe players are getting hurt because of how they are training off the court.... but that's a different discussion. And yes, they practiced more then as well..

The simple truth behind all the stars being injured so much is the lack of defense and inside game played today. Back when defense and dump it to the big man inside was the focal point, you had to prepare your body in different ways to battle hard day in and day out on both ends of the court, you had to earn everything you got. Now you can spend 3 hours of practice shooting 1/2 court shots and never lift a weight or worry about the strength part of strength and conditioning, it's pathetic how little heart and determination these players have today.
Phanboi
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#15 » by Phanboi » Sun May 16, 2021 1:52 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
jk31 wrote:

The simple truth behind all the stars being injured so much is the lack of defense and inside game played today. Back when defense and dump it to the big man inside was the focal point, you had to prepare your body in different ways to battle hard day in and day out on both ends of the court, you had to earn everything you got. Now you can spend 3 hours of practice shooting 1/2 court shots and never lift a weight or worry about the strength part of strength and conditioning, it's pathetic how little heart and determination these players have today.

Very true there is but one Wardell Stephen Curry. Who does lift weights and does prepare his body,as the refs never call the foals on his muggers.

also whining about yesterday's game as it related to the current one is myopic at best.
Phanboi
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#16 » by Phanboi » Sun May 16, 2021 1:54 pm

If the League makes money off it, book it, that it will be back.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#17 » by Rip32 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Whoever came up with the tournament concept should be FIRED!!

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Tue May 18, 2021 4:19 pm

Good for a shortened season anyway
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to Polls Discussion