Re: Did the Knicks make a good move trading Kristaps Porzingis?

arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#21 » by arasu » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:27 pm

Barcs wrote:
arasu wrote:
Barcs wrote:
Or KP could have just gotten hurt next year and continue to use his brother to poison the team.

Maybe, but claiming otherwise is not an absurdity of any caliber.

Maybe you are having trouble understanding my point. The Knicks had no choice with the Porzingis deal. He didn't want to be there, hence there was never a possible future with KP and Zion. Yes, it is absurdity of the highest caliber to suggest they shouldn't have traded him. There was no other option. You either get assets for him or he walks and you get nothing. It was a good move, the only move.

Maybe you are having trouble understanding my point. You are wrong. They had a choice. It's called match any offer, AKA restricted free agency. What is absurd is to pretend there was no option, when clearly there was one.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,449

Post#22 » by KnickFan33 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:27 pm

arasu wrote:
Barcs wrote:
arasu wrote:Maybe, but claiming otherwise is not an absurdity of any caliber.

Maybe you are having trouble understanding my point. The Knicks had no choice with the Porzingis deal. He didn't want to be there, hence there was never a possible future with KP and Zion. Yes, it is absurdity of the highest caliber to suggest they shouldn't have traded him. There was no other option. You either get assets for him or he walks and you get nothing. It was a good move, the only move.

Maybe you are having trouble understanding my point. You are wrong. They had a choice. It's called match any offer, AKA restricted free agency. What is absurd is to pretend there was no option, when clearly there was one.

What if he actually took the qualifying offer as he claimed he would do to Dallas?
Not sure if reports paint a big picture, but would it be worth it to deal with all the drama that came with his entourage?
If he signed a "normal" extension and requested a trade after the fact, putting New York in the same situation as New Orleans, would that really be worth the headache?
If worth the headache, how would the Knicks add talent around him with Hardaway and Lee still on the books?
What guarantees are there that New York ends up in position to draft Zion?
arasu
Rookie

Post#23 » by arasu » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:04 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
arasu wrote:
Barcs wrote:

What if he actually took the qualifying offer as he claimed he would do to Dallas?
Not sure if reports paint a big picture, but would it be worth it to deal with all the drama that came with his entourage?
If he signed a "normal" extension and requested a trade after the fact, putting New York in the same situation as New Orleans, would that really be worth the headache?
If worth the headache, how would the Knicks add talent around him with Hardaway and Lee still on the books?
What guarantees are there that New York ends up in position to draft Zion?

Considering his injury history, taking the qualifying offer would be a bad move on his part. Drama is part of the NBA experience. It is always worth it if wins are attached. There have been plenty of times when a player asked to be traded, or threatened to leave via FA, or used their entourage to stir up drama, then went on to win with the same team. It happens. I'm not arguing against the trade, only against the idea that it would be "absurd" not to favor going through with it.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 734

Post#24 » by Barcs » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:30 pm

arasu wrote:
Barcs wrote:
arasu wrote:Maybe, but claiming otherwise is not an absurdity of any caliber.

Porzingis was not signing a long term extension and was not happy, you are being willfully ignorant.

Best case scenario KP plays for one year under RFA tender and becomes UFA and walks the next year. You really think they would have a chance to beat the Warriors and win a title with KP being disgruntled and coming off major injury where he hasn't played for nearly 2 years and a rookie Zion Williamson(whom the Knicks have a 14% chance of getting even with worst record)?

We don't even know that KP will be the same guy, and I don't want a malcontent on the team, that can destroy a locker room. I still maintain that is it absurdity to say it was not a good move to trade KP. There was no choice.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
arasu
Rookie

Post#25 » by arasu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Barcs wrote:
arasu wrote:
Barcs wrote:

Porzingis was not signing a long term extension and was not happy, you are being willfully ignorant.

Best case scenario KP plays for one year under RFA tender and becomes UFA and walks the next year. You really think they would have a chance to beat the Warriors and win a title with KP being disgruntled and coming off major injury where he hasn't played for nearly 2 years and a rookie Zion Williamson(whom the Knicks have a 14% chance of getting even with worst record)?

We don't even know that KP will be the same guy, and I don't want a malcontent on the team, that can destroy a locker room. I still maintain that is it absurdity to say it was not a good move to trade KP. There was no choice.

It's very unlikely that he would have taken the qualifying offer with his injury history. You are the willfully ignorant one. Even if he would take it, it would be an incredibly reckless decision.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#26 » by Barcs » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:08 pm

arasu wrote:
Barcs wrote:
arasu wrote:Maybe you are having trouble understanding my point. You are wrong. They had a choice. It's called match any offer, AKA restricted free agency. What is absurd is to pretend there was no option, when clearly there was one.

It's very unlikely that he would have taken the qualifying offer with his injury history. You are the willfully ignorant one. Even if he would take it, it would be an incredibly reckless decision.

None of your points make any sense. This was an obvious decision. The guy wanted out, the knicks accommodated before things got worse. There is no scenario where KP and Zion win a title next year. LMFAO!
arasu
Rookie

Post#27 » by arasu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Barcs wrote:
arasu wrote:
Barcs wrote:

None of your points make any sense. This was an obvious decision. The guy wanted out, the knicks accommodated before things got worse. There is no scenario where KP and Zion win a title next year. LMFAO!

My points are rationally irrefutable buddy. And I in no way said they would win a title next year. I don't actually think they would have ever won a title together, but I do know that the Knicks had options. And no player in his right mind would take the QO only, with the kind of injury history KP has. He very likely would have signed a max deal with another team, and the Knicks probably would have matched it. The Knicks FO obviously prefers their chances in free agency, starting with a blank slate and draft capital, rather than taking the risk of maxing out an injury-prone star with no cap space and only the draft as hope for any kind of winning in the future. My point of view is reasonable. The fact that you can't admit it is laughable.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#28 » by Barcs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 pm

arasu wrote:My points are rationally irrefutable buddy.

Wrong.

And I in no way said they would win a title next year.

arasu wrote:KP and Zion could have led the Knicks to the promised land. Now we will never know.

Just stop, bro.

He very likely would have signed a max deal with another team, and the Knicks probably would have matched it.

Not if he already said he doesn't want to be there. They would have let him walk, and got NOTHING out of it. Teams aren't that stupid. The guy demanded a trade, and the Knicks gave it to him. There really wasn't an option. It's like saying the Cavs shouldn't have traded Kyrie when he requested it. You either acquiesce or the player walks or stays unhappy. You aren't going to get the best out of a player that doesn't want to be there. KP was not getting a max deal coming off a major injury, regardless.
arasu
Rookie

Post#29 » by arasu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Barcs wrote:
arasu wrote:My points are rationally irrefutable buddy.

Wrong.

And I in no way said they would win a title next year.

arasu wrote:KP and Zion could have led the Knicks to the promised land. Now we will never know.

Just stop, bro.

You proved in your own quoting of my quote that I never wrote anything about winning a title next year. Stop trying to misrepresent me. You are wrong. I proved it, and now you are proving yourself wrong as well. Sad.

Barcs wrote:
He very likely would have signed a max deal with another team, and the Knicks probably would have matched it.

Not if he already said he doesn't want to be there. They would have let him walk, and got NOTHING out of it. Teams aren't that stupid. The guy demanded a trade, and the Knicks gave it to him. There really wasn't an option. It's like saying the Cavs shouldn't have traded Kyrie when he requested it. You either acquiesce or the player walks or stays unhappy. You aren't going to get the best out of a player that doesn't want to be there. ...

In 2007, Bryant told Stephen A. Smith on the radio “I would like to be traded, yeah.”

Plenty of players have said they didn't want to be in a place, and then changed their mind later. There are plenty examples of players who asked for a trade or made it clear that they were looking to leave via free agency or otherwise, but then stayed and won many games with that team. More importantly, the Knicks held all the power over where KP would go. Kyrie was not a restricted FA. KP will be. KP is not in a position like AD is in (or like Kyrie was), where he could collect big checks on his way out the door, and then walk without the team gaining compensation. That is the difference. Address the restricted free agency issue buddy. Stop avoiding the argument at hand.

The QO is a pitiful level of compensation. How many players take that and refuse to take max offers? Answer: none. This isn't a situation like a delusional Nerlens Noel with no All-Star history or stats to back up a max contract turning down a solid $70 million offer in a tight market. The 2019 cap is going up, and big contracts are likely to be handed out like candy. The default for the NBA has been bad max contracts given to not-quite-deserving players, so why would you think anything otherwise would occur? KP's injury history plays into his compromised situation, making it much less likely that he would turn down max offers, or even near max offers. His value and injury history is a bit shaky, which adds urgency for him to sign sooner than later. But that shaky value doesn't preclude teams from signing him to a "bad" contract, especially in light of the extra cap space teams will have this summer. He was, and still is, in no position to be turning down a max contract with any team willing to give it, and teams will be willing. The Mavs will match any offer. And the Knicks would likely have done the same.

KP was not getting a max deal coming off a major injury, regardless.

Several teams have max cap space available this summer. Teams often sign injured players to max deals. I'm not saying it always works out well, but the offers come, and the Knicks would have been under huge pressure to match, or lose him for nothing. It's likely that they would have matched under those circumstances. Their long history of signing players lends more weight to that possibility. Maybe they wouldn't have done so, but pretending that it was some kind of certainty is just you pretending with no past evidence to back it up.

You haven't addressed any of my arguments. Either you don't understand the difference, or you refuse to address that aspect of my argument to deflect from the fact that you are wrong. I can accept the idea that you think KP will never deserve a max contract. That is called making a prediction. There is no shame in taking that position. There is no "absurdity" in taking either side of a KP prediction or the trade/no trade positions, since there is evidence for both. There is absurdity in calling one side "absurd", which was your mistake.

Return to Polls Discussion