What grade do you give the Raptors for the Rudy Gay trade?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

What grade do you give the Raptors for the Rudy Gay trade? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Mon Dec 9, 2013 2:36 am

1. A
2. B
3. C
4. D
5. F
tOvOnto
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: What grade do you give the Raptors for the Rudy Gay trad 

Post#2 » by tOvOnto » Mon Dec 9, 2013 3:19 am

should be an F
because raptors are trying to make it into the playoffs
obviously theyre not in the run for the playoffs anymore XD
-OvO
JosephKaz
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#3 » by JosephKaz » Mon Dec 9, 2013 3:45 am

tOvOnto wrote:should be an F

they're not trying to make the playoffs lol...
"Masai WILL win us a championship" - Tim Leiweke
Blacklash2k4
Junior
And1: 245

Post#4 » by Blacklash2k4 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 5:04 am

lol Raptors aren't making the playoffs and nor should they. It's a fairly win win for both teams. Raptors shed a lot of salary next year and gain a lot of financial flexibility in 2015. Gay didn't really work with the Raptors especially with Demar. Raptors are also deserpate for a decent backup PG and Vasquez is a very capable pass-first PG that will pass the ball to Val and Amir. Sacramento sheds two crappy salaries in Salmons and Hayes for Gay who can possibly make a big impact in the SF position for the Kings. A lineup of Thomas, Mclemore, Williams, Gay, and Cousins isn't too bad of a lineup. There isn't much to lose by trading for Gay from King's POV. Acy is also a serviceable player too. Pretty decent trade for both teams.
ZenParadox
Ballboy

Post#5 » by ZenParadox » Mon Dec 9, 2013 5:16 am

You don't "try" to make the playoffs in the EC...it accidentally happens.
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#6 » by Arsilva » Mon Dec 9, 2013 5:32 am

ZenParadox wrote:You don't "try" to make the playoffs in the EC...it accidentally happens.

---
This season has been terrible so far...the four worst teams of the league should be downgraded to D-League.
ZenParadox
Ballboy

Post#7 » by ZenParadox » Mon Dec 9, 2013 5:35 am

Yeah...not so much. Those bottom four teams still bring in revenue. That's all the league really cares about.

Arsilva wrote:
ZenParadox wrote:You don't "try" to make the playoffs in the EC...it accidentally happens.

---
This season has been terrible so far...the four worst teams of the league should be downgraded to D-League.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Post#8 » by nikster » Mon Dec 9, 2013 5:46 am

love this trade for the raps. As much as I like Gay, he was absolutely brutal for the Raps. Lots of inneficient iso ball. Him and Demar really do not belong on the same back court. At the same time, Raps get a back up point gaurd, young stretch 4 in Patterson, and a solid back up Center in Hayes (they will probably waive Salmons contract).

I really hate this team for the Kings. I mean, whats the end game here? Unless they pull in another player, or swap Rudy for other assests, this trade was pretty bad. They just got rid of a low efficiency wing (Tyreke) to pay 19$ Milllion for one. And I really dont see Gay and Cousins getting along on or off the court. Biggest plus I see for the Kings is moving Isiaah Thomas to the starting lineup and getting some minutes for their rookie PG
ZenParadox
Ballboy

Post#9 » by ZenParadox » Mon Dec 9, 2013 5:59 am

You might have hit the nail on the head there. Perhaps their thought process is getting Thomas into the starting lineup, while influencing Derrick Williams to elevate his game. Rudy Gay is not getting a huge contract once his current one expires. No one is going to put him on another albatross contract...so by that logic, Williams has to earn his role as the SF/Stretch 4 on this team and prove he is a better player than Gay. In that sense, it could turn out to be a brilliant trade. It's hard to sit behind a computer and completely assess the situation, but that's what I've done and love it from a Sac perspective. Gay isn't the long term commitment, in my opinion, Williams is. Gay was brought in to help encourage Williams to grow and be diligent in his efforts...in my opinion.

nikster wrote:love this trade for the raps. As much as I like Gay, he was absolutely brutal for the Raps. Lots of inneficient iso ball. Him and Demar really do not belong on the same back court. At the same time, Raps get a back up point gaurd, young stretch 4 in Patterson, and a solid back up Center in Hayes (they will probably waive Salmons contract).

I really hate this team for the Kings. I mean, whats the end game here? Unless they pull in another player, or swap Rudy for other assests, this trade was pretty bad. They just got rid of a low efficiency wing (Tyreke) to pay 19$ Milllion for one. And I really dont see Gay and Cousins getting along on or off the court. Biggest plus I see for the Kings is moving Isiaah Thomas to the starting lineup and getting some minutes for their rookie PG
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,322

Post#10 » by God Squad » Mon Dec 9, 2013 2:18 pm

SMH!! Speak for your self. WoW
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#11 » by malgus » Mon Dec 9, 2013 2:48 pm

'A' for the Raptors. Clearing a terrible albatross of a salary for a shoot first low percentage chucker for some rotation players? Definitely an A. It will probably help their playoff push this year as well by not having Gay on the team. Addition by subtraction for sure.
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#12 » by Arsilva » Mon Dec 9, 2013 4:03 pm

malgus wrote:'A' for the Raptors. Clearing a terrible albatross of a salary for a shoot first low percentage chucker for some rotation players? Definitely an A. It will probably help their playoff push this year as well by not having Gay on the team. Addition by subtraction for sure.

---
In terms of opportunity costs, I think it was good for Kings too. What's the point of spend years losing, waiting for the next LBJ comes to rescue you? Gay has proved he is a solid starter, borderline all star. In a salary capped league, inevitably someone will be overpaid.
Blacklash2k4
Junior
And1: 245

Post#13 » by Blacklash2k4 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 5:22 pm

Arsilva wrote:
malgus wrote:'A' for the Raptors. Clearing a terrible albatross of a salary for a shoot first low percentage chucker for some rotation players? Definitely an A. It will probably help their playoff push this year as well by not having Gay on the team. Addition by subtraction for sure.

---
In terms of opportunity costs, I think it was good for Kings too. What's the point of spend years losing, waiting for the next LBJ comes to rescue you? Gay has proved he is a solid starter, borderline all star. In a salary capped league, inevitably someone will be overpaid.

Being a solid starter is not really saying much. A lot of players are solid starters. As for borderline all-star, that's pushing it. Gay is no where near an all-star until he works on his efficiency, his turnover and his attitude towards team play. Gay doesn't make any of his teams any better...
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,215

Post#14 » by anatomicbomb » Mon Dec 9, 2013 6:27 pm

I would have liked for the trade to produce another pick, but I'm mostly just glad that Ujiri has dumped two of the three least efficient players in the league (Gay, Bargnani) since he came to town.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
nikster
RealGM

Post#15 » by nikster » Mon Dec 9, 2013 6:55 pm

God Squad wrote:

SMH!! Speak for your self. WoW

A) This is the one season teams WANT to miss the playoffs (at least those with their own picks). Next years draft is ridiculous
B) Raptors are probably better after this trade (unfortunately). Losing Gay means more shots from more effecient players, better ball movement and could lead to better play from derozan and (hopefully) JV. Raps upgraded their backup C, get a solid playmaking PG for the bench, and got a athletic prospect in Patterson. Not to mention his ridiculous contract is gone
nikster
RealGM

Post#16 » by nikster » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:21 pm

ZenParadox wrote:You might have hit the nail on the head there. Perhaps their thought process is getting Thomas into the starting lineup, while influencing Derrick Williams to elevate his game. Rudy Gay is not getting a huge contract once his current one expires. No one is going to put him on another albatross contract...so by that logic, Williams has to earn his role as the SF/Stretch 4 on this team and prove he is a better player than Gay. In that sense, it could turn out to be a brilliant trade. It's hard to sit behind a computer and completely assess the situation, but that's what I've done and love it from a Sac perspective. Gay isn't the long term commitment, in my opinion, Williams is. Gay was brought in to help encourage Williams to grow and be diligent in his efforts...in my opinion.

nikster wrote:love this trade for the raps. As much as I like Gay, he was absolutely brutal for the Raps. Lots of inneficient iso ball. Him and Demar really do not belong on the same back court. At the same time, Raps get a back up point gaurd, young stretch 4 in Patterson, and a solid back up Center in Hayes (they will probably waive Salmons contract).

didnt really think about the impact on Williams. But I dont see him helping Williams with his on court production. He could be a great player to have in terms of pushing him to be better, gaurding him in practice etc... but i think Gays gonna hurt the ball movement too much to improve his play. And I see no reason to think he'll be any better in Sac town. Memphis & Toronto both traded him for the same reason.
frickenWaaaltah
Sophomore

Post#17 » by frickenWaaaltah » Mon Dec 9, 2013 9:55 pm

They 'should have made the playoffs' in that the roster they started this season with was good enough to be in there somewhere and there were no major injury issues.

Then they lost a bunch of games from crappy effort, from just not trying to win really, but they were still trying on plenty of nights as well and so were not really committed to tanking yet. They wanted to tank but they were waffling because their roster was good enough that it would look really bad if they finished as one of the worst teams. They'd be scared the league would punish them and take away their pick or worse. So now they are committed to tanking.
thedustyfoot
Ballboy

Post#18 » by thedustyfoot » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:39 am

A plus, first Bargnani now Gay, wow. 30 Million in cap for next year in case their lottery luck fails. Both Bargs and Gay are catch and shoot players, who suffer from oneitis. Good luck in Sacramento brother, you won't be missed here in Toronto.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#19 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Ujiri is doing a hell of a job by clearing up all the overpaid players on the Raptors team.

1) Using the amnesty clause on Linas Kleiza.

2) Traded Andrea Bargnani for Quentin Richardson (waived), Marcus Camby (brought out), Steve Novak (2 years remaining), 2016 1st Round Pick, 2014 2nd Round Pick, and 2017 2nd Round Pick.

3) Traded Rudy Gay, Quincy Acy, and Aaron Gray for Greivis Vasquez (restricted FA next year and MAYBE a part of their future), John Salmons (team option next year), Patrick Patterson (restricted FA next year), and Chuck Hayes (1 year remaining).

I don't know if Ujiri has any more ammo left, but if he can pull off a trade to get rid of Landry Fields as well as Chuck Hayes, he got my vote for GM of the year.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#20 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:48 pm

I see why the did it financially, but if you think the Raptors are going forward on the ladder you're mistaken. Grade F

Return to Polls Discussion