Who would you pick first overall if you were GM of the Cavaliers?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Who would you pick first overall if you were GM of the Cavaliers? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Wed May 21, 2014 1:08 am

1. Wiggins
2. Embiid
3. Parker
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Re: Who would you pick first overall if you were GM of the C 

Post#2 » by luss54321 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:51 am

Parker is the best player in the draft. I think he's Melo with a better attitude and better feel for the game.

I'm really not sold on Wiggins. People fall in love with the best athlete, but is he a good passer? playmaker? shooter? ball handler? Does he have the talent and instincts that Parker does? I don't see it.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 12,004

Post#3 » by nikster » Wed May 21, 2014 3:27 am

Embiid or Wiggins. You always take the dominant defensive center. Injuries could be an issue tho. In that case Id take Wiggins over Parker because I think he would mesh better with the ball dominant Irving
minkyu37
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by minkyu37 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:55 am

luss54321 wrote:Parker is the best player in the draft. I think he's Melo with a better attitude and better feel for the game.

I'm really not sold on Wiggins. People fall in love with the best athlete, but is he a good passer? playmaker? shooter? ball handler? Does he have the talent and instincts that Parker does? I don't see it.

heard he could defend tho
basketballife
Ballboy

Post#5 » by basketballife » Wed May 21, 2014 6:32 am

if cavs draft wiggins or parker, i think they should trade dion waiters as its shown he does not work in the backcourt with kyrie. cavs could use an upgrade in their frontcourt as their post presense is fairly weak and bench is quite weak too.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#6 » by ADDinChicago » Wed May 21, 2014 6:58 am

I would take Jabari Parker. I just think he's more "NBA ready" this minute over Wiggins. Embiid's back scares me. I don't think any of the 3 is franchise changer right away.

And this is the Cavs, they'll probably take Dante Exum or Noah Vonleh at 1. Couldn't miss with LeBron or Kyrie at 1, Anthony Bennett just showed how inept the ownership and front office. Even Thompson and Waiters had people asking what was going on going so high.

I think they should possibly shop the #1 pick with Tristan Thompson, Anderson Vareajo or Dion Waiters if they want to try and pry away a 1-A player from another team. I'm sure the "LeBron to Cleveland" garbage will pick up again over the next couple of weeks. He's only opting out to re-sign with Miami and get more money.
rockmanslim
RealGM
And1: 5,680

Post#7 » by rockmanslim » Wed May 21, 2014 7:32 am

Parker has pretty good ballhandling, scoring skills, and fluidity, but let's face it, he's fat, and slow laterally which makes his defense suspect.

Wiggins has the body, the raw athleticism, but he's awkward, kind of stiff and upright, uncoordinated with the ball, weak creation skills due to poor ball handling.

Embiid would be the obvious pick, except for that troublesome back.

So flip a coin. Or maybe take Exum after trading Kyrie to the Lakers. :D
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#8 » by Donnyxc » Wed May 21, 2014 12:08 pm

The 6ers could get 'screwed'. The last high pick they need is another Center, Embiid if they have Noel. They should trade if they take him.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,577

Post#9 » by Bentley1225 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:34 pm

They should take Wiggins but will end up selecting Embid given need, scarcity of that position in draft and potential.
kareemabdulj1
Ballboy

Post#10 » by kareemabdulj1 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:30 pm

Too many times the cavaliers have chosen "potential" in the draft and looked how that turned out. Dion Waiters, thompson, bennett and the list goes on. The only time they picked the right guys was when there was an obvious first pick.

I say play it safe with parker. They can improve his defense a little bit, enough to not make him a liability, but his offense is already nba ready. Take him, make kyrie happy and you've got a nice young core to work with. Add in a few defensive free agents and you're playoff bound in a weak eastern conference.

Pretty bitter since i'm a laker fan, but also pretty annoyed at how mismanaged an nba team can be. plus they make lebron look like a god with every losing season without him, so that doesn't sit well with a mamba fan.
LakersFan82505
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by LakersFan82505 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:31 pm

I think if they draft Embiid they could potentially be better suitors for Lebron. Think of the lineup they'll have:

Kyrie Irving
Dion Waiters
LeBron James
Anthony Bennett
Embiid
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#12 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed May 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Why would LeBron James come back? HAHAHA!
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#13 » by CHAMPi0N » Wed May 21, 2014 5:32 pm

If I were GM of the Cavs, I would resign before making this decision.

But I picked Wiggins... It's just a sad thought of anyone with great potential going to Cleveland and having to weather the storm in their earliest years in the NBA.
luss54321
Starter

Post#14 » by luss54321 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:59 pm

LakersFan82505 wrote:I think if they draft Embiid they could potentially be better suitors for Lebron. Think of the lineup they'll have:

Kyrie Irving
Dion Waiters
LeBron James
Anthony Bennett
Embiid

Wait, why is Anthony Bennett starting?
luss54321
Starter

Post#15 » by luss54321 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:04 pm

nikster wrote:Embiid or Wiggins. You always take the dominant defensive center. Injuries could be an issue tho. In that case Id take Wiggins over Parker because I think he would mesh better with the ball dominant Irving

Like Sam Bowie? Or Greg Oden?
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#16 » by totalrekall » Wed May 21, 2014 10:21 pm

the Cavs swung and missed last season on Bennett. this season they have to go w/ the player who has the least bust potential and thats Parker. he's the most polished of these players and his offensive game is ready now. Wiggins has a long way to go for his skills to catch up w/ his athleticism and I doubt it will ever happen. Embiid has the most potential and looks incredibly fluid on the court but the back injury worries me and I dont see how the Cavs can afford to take that chance

if they miss on this pick they will have nothing to show for three #1 picks in a four year span bc Kyrie is as good as gone in a year. LeBron is NEVER going back to the Cavs so they need a guy who can sell some tickets and jerseys. Parker is the most marketable of this group and lets be honest the Cavs are a very, very long way from having a competitive team so staying relevant in the meanwhile is critical
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#17 » by Pedro » Wed May 21, 2014 11:21 pm

totalrekall wrote:the Cavs swung and missed last season on Bennett. this season they have to go w/ the player who has the least bust potential and thats Parker. he's the most polished of these players and his offensive game is ready now. Wiggins has a long way to go for his skills to catch up w/ his athleticism and I doubt it will ever happen. Embiid has the most potential and looks incredibly fluid on the court but the back injury worries me and I dont see how the Cavs can afford to take that chance

if they miss on this pick they will have nothing to show for three #1 picks in a four year span bc Kyrie is as good as gone in a year. LeBron is NEVER going back to the Cavs so they need a guy who can sell some tickets and jerseys. Parker is the most marketable of this group and lets be honest the Cavs are a very, very long way from having a competitive team so staying relevant in the meanwhile is critical

Very well put. Embiid has solid potential but nothing near Jabari Parker. Sadly though, I believe the cavs will continue their inept ways and draft Wiggins.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#18 » by ADDinChicago » Thu May 22, 2014 4:05 am

LakersFan82505 wrote:I think if they draft Embiid they could potentially be better suitors for Lebron. Think of the lineup they'll have:

Kyrie Irving
Dion Waiters
LeBron James
Anthony Bennett
Embiid

Also think of how much money he'd be leaving on the table and where he'd be leaving.
DangerCurtis
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#19 » by DangerCurtis » Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 am

None. If I were the GM of the Cavs I'd package the pick and anything outside of Irving to get Kevin Love. Then I'd tried to lure Lebron back. That's what I'd do.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#20 » by Donnyxc » Thu May 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Kyrie Irving
Dion Waiters
LeBron James
Anthony Bennett
Embiid

Know a guy named Tristan?
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Return to Polls Discussion