Do you believe the Cavs have signed too many role players in their 30s?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Do you believe the Cavs have signed too many role players in their 30s? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:37 pm

1. Yes
2. No
deebee
Freshman
And1: 16

Re: Do you believe the Cavs have signed too many role player 

Post#2 » by deebee » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:32 pm

um, they're role players?
SeanDaRyan
Junior
And1: 130

Post#3 » by SeanDaRyan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:11 pm

you need vets on the bench
KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran
And1: 2,309

Post#4 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:11 am

starting with lebron who will be 30 in december.
#FreeGuwop
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#5 » by malgus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:01 pm

marion, who else have they signed?
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,053

Post#6 » by Raptor_Guy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:04 pm

lol if people are gonna use this as a reason why the Cavs aren't gonna do well, did signing veteran role players hurt the Heat the past 4 years? Or the Celtics in 2008?
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#7 » by CHAMPi0N » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:09 pm

In fact, if your role players are older it serves better for the entire team... They know their roles and there is a certain level of consistency one can expect from the bench. Having young guys on the bench is decent for short spurts, but long term an experienced bench is invaluable.
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#8 » by Pedro » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:28 pm

malgus wrote:marion, who else have they signed?

They signed Mike Miller (34), James Jones (33), and now Marion (36). Three 30+ players is not too much, especially on a relatively young roster , such as theirs. The only other 30+ players on their roster are Anderson Varejao (31) & Brendan Haywood (34).
iloveink
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#9 » by iloveink » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:20 pm

I don't know if they have signed to many, but they are getting close. They still have some young players, but if they bring in Ray Allan most of their important role players will be older. They will be counting on these guys to stay healthy, something that guys like Miller are not that good at. I think this is what happened with the Heat last year. They got to the finals and Battier had nothing left, Haslem had nothing left and the team suddenly looked very old. Not saying that it will happen, but it is a danger that they are flirting with. Varejao and Haywood are their only Centers and if Irving or Waiters get hurt (which happens a lot) they will be depending heavily on Dellavedova, Allan, and Mike Miller. That doesn't sound like a championship lineup to me.
cavsfan703
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#10 » by cavsfan703 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Jesus, could this poll question be any more Loaded? Obviously written by some blogger with a big market mindset.

Face it folks: The NBA market size does not matter for the mega stars. They are going to play where they want to play. Lebron this summer has been to Brazil, China, and Greece, oh, and he filmed a major comedy movie in New York being directed by Judd Apatow. These guys are jet setters: all they need is an international airport that will take them where they want to be. And last I checked, it is a lot easer to navigate Akron international than it is LGA or LAX.

Durant is talking DC. Curry is talking Charlotte. An NBA mega star does not need New York, LA, Chicago to succeed in 2014.
TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Post#11 » by TheBallDoLie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Well when you have LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love you could honestly surround them with a bunch of 30 year old role players and do just fine..
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#12 » by luss54321 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:06 pm

cavsfan703 wrote:Jesus, could this poll question be any more Loaded? Obviously written by some blogger with a big market mindset.

Face it folks: The NBA market size does not matter for the mega stars. They are going to play where they want to play. Lebron this summer has been to Brazil, China, and Greece, oh, and he filmed a major comedy movie in New York being directed by Judd Apatow. These guys are jet setters: all they need is an international airport that will take them where they want to be. And last I checked, it is a lot easer to navigate Akron international than it is LGA or LAX.

Durant is talking DC. Curry is talking Charlotte. An NBA mega star does not need New York, LA, Chicago to succeed in 2014.

Everyone is different.

They might be "jet setters", but most of them also have wives and children. The city they play in is their HOME, it's where their kids go to school, it's the environment they're raised in. What are they going to experience socially? culturally? educationally? I can guarantee you growing up in Cleveland is a lot different than growing up in New York City.

NBA players have lives outside of basketball. I imagine most of them are fathers and husbands first, and basketball players second.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#13 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:53 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:Well when you have LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love you could honestly surround them with a bunch of 30 year old role players and do just fine..

Good premise, have yet to see it "do just fine.."
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#14 » by TheBallDoLie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:Well when you have LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love you could honestly surround them with a bunch of 30 year old role players and do just fine..

Good premise, have yet to see it "do just fine.."

Well I'm going to go out on a limb and say they will do just fine.. But hey, I may be wrong but I doubt it..
3Peat2000
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#15 » by 3Peat2000 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:11 am

TheBallDoLie wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:

Good premise, have yet to seen it "do just fine.."

Well I'm going to go out on a limb and say they will do just fine.. But hey, I may be wrong but I doubt it..

Not sure why we haven't see it do "just fine", but let me chime in. There have been several champions in the NBA that have gone beast-mode in their 30's (team effective age-wise), with the 2011 Dallas team being the second oldest ever. The Spurs just destroyed a team that was much younger (team effective age-wise).

OLDEST #1- 1998 CHI 31.7
#2- 2011 DAL 30.9
#3- 1997 CHI 30.7
#4- 1969 BOS 30.5
#5- 2007 SAS 30.4
#6- 2010 LAL 30.2
#7- 1999 SAS 30.1

These squads are living proof that CLE won't necessarily struggle with these old dudes, but they may instead bring a nice balance en route to a deep run in the playoffs.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wisdom, piety, common sense, and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence for their take. When all else fails, make sure to laugh at least 5 times in any 24-hour period.
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#16 » by TheBallDoLie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:20 am

3Peat2000 wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:Good premise, have yet to seen it "do just fine.."

Not sure why we haven't see it do "just fine", but let me chime in. There have been several champions in the NBA that have gone beast-mode in their 30's (team effective age-wise), with the 2011 Dallas team being the second oldest ever. The Spurs just destroyed a team that was much younger (team effective age-wise).

OLDEST #1- 1998 CHI 31.7
#2- 2011 DAL 30.9
#3- 1997 CHI 30.7
#4- 1969 BOS 30.5
#5- 2007 SAS 30.4
#6- 2010 LAL 30.2
#7- 1999 SAS 30.1

These squads are living proof that CLE won't necessarily struggle with these old dudes, but they may instead bring a nice balance en route to a deep run in the playoffs.

Well the question was focusing more on the role players, not the whole team's age or the stars. But just the "30 year old role players". And I was just saying with a core of LeBron/Irving/Love it really doesn't matter what the age is of the role players, as long as they can ball and fill their specific role the team will be just fine. I think rated T was more concerned cause CLE hasn't proven anything to think they will be just fine... But like I said, I'm going out on a limb...

But yes you are right age isn't really a factor, all that matters is do you have good players and can they play together. If so, no matter the age you will do "just fine".
3Peat2000
Sophomore

Post#17 » by 3Peat2000 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:21 am

TheBallDoLie wrote:
3Peat2000 wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:Well I'm going to go out on a limb and say they will do just fine.. But hey, I may be wrong but I doubt it..

OLDEST #1- 1998 CHI 31.7
#2- 2011 DAL 30.9
#3- 1997 CHI 30.7
#4- 1969 BOS 30.5
#5- 2007 SAS 30.4
#6- 2010 LAL 30.2
#7- 1999 SAS 30.1

Well the question was focusing more on the role players, not the whole team's age or the stars. But just the "30 year old role players". And I was just saying with a core of LeBron/Irving/Love it really doesn't matter what the age is of the role players, as long as they can ball and fill their specific role the team will be just fine. I think rated T was more concerned cause CLE hasn't proven anything to think they will be just fine... But like I said, I'm going out on a limb...

But yes you are right age isn't really a factor, all that matters is do you have good players and can they play together. If so, no matter the age you will do "just fine".

I hear you, but the point of reference is the age of 30 years. How old were the leaders of these championship teams when they won titles? I would imagine that Michael Jordan was over 30 years old. I would imagine that Dirk Nowitzki was over 30 years old. I would imagine Kobe Bryant was over 30 years old. I could go on, but I think you get the point. My original take is very much relevant, and the success of these 30+-year-old gentleman after that milestone age answers the original posts question emphatically. 30 years is not an imaginary brick wall where players don't produce on the other side of it. As I said, these players went beast mode after 30. Though I don't expect Ray Allen to necessarily go beast mode in the capacity that the previously mentioned players, I do believe that he can do damage and that Cleveland's situation is so unique with the combination of young legs and veterans and world champions, that this can be a Molotov cocktail that could explode into championship rings for CLE. Potentially.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wisdom, piety, common sense, and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence for their take. When all else fails, make sure to laugh at least 5 times in any 24-hour period.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#18 » by Rated T By CBRA » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 pm

3Peat2000 wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:
3Peat2000 wrote:Not sure why we haven't see it do "just fine", but let me chime in. There have been several champions in the NBA that have gone beast-mode in their 30's (team effective age-wise), with the 2011 Dallas team being the second oldest ever. The Spurs just destroyed a team that was much younger (team effective age-wise).

OLDEST #1- 1998 CHI 31.7
#2- 2011 DAL 30.9
#3- 1997 CHI 30.7
#4- 1969 BOS 30.5
#5- 2007 SAS 30.4
#6- 2010 LAL 30.2
#7- 1999 SAS 30.1

I hear you, but the point of reference is the age of 30 years. How old were the leaders of these championship teams when they won titles? I would imagine that Michael Jordan was over 30 years old. I would imagine that Dirk Nowitzki was over 30 years old. I would imagine Kobe Bryant was over 30 years old. I could go on, but I think you get the point. My original take is very much relevant, and the success of these 30+-year-old gentleman after that milestone age answers the original posts question emphatically. 30 years is not an imaginary brick wall where players don't produce on the other side of it. As I said, these players went beast mode after 30. Though I don't expect Ray Allen to necessarily go beast mode in the capacity that the previously mentioned players, I do believe that he can do damage and that Cleveland's situation is so unique with the combination of young legs and veterans and world champions, that this can be a Molotov cocktail that could explode into championship rings for CLE. Potentially.

Yes, the veterans will be a great addition to this young team. It will be a good balance - but the team overall (regardless of age) has yet to show that they can play together. You have 3 main go-to guys that have developed their entire careers on being option #1 and "leaders" of their team. Will there be ego issues? Ball sharing issues? Etc. It happened with the Heat first year (although they went to the finals), and it could happen easily to this group.

Plus an injury to any of the role (or key guys) changes the complexity of the team entirely. Love had a broken hand, Irving has sat out a bunch of time with some issues, LeBron cramped up during the finals last season, etc. The management has done a much better job than usual of putting together a rock-solid team on paper, but they have yet to show that on the court. We will see this season how they fare out.
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#19 » by TheBallDoLie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:16 pm

I think you missed my point but it doesn't matter. Cause we have the same view point realize it or not..
3Peat2000
Sophomore

Post#20 » by 3Peat2000 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:I think you missed my point but it doesn't matter. Cause we have the same view point realize it or not..

My apologies, my good sir.

Return to Polls Discussion