Which team in the Central Division had the best offseason?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Which team in the Central Division had the best offseason? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:48 pm

1. Bucks
2. Bulls
3. Cavaliers
4. Pacers
5. Pistons
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,613

Re: Which team in the Central Division had the best offseason? 

Post#2 » by jacoby1us » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Milwaukee by far had the best off season. If they remain healthy this team could definitely shoot up from a bottom seed to a top 5 seed in the East. Do not be surprised to see Milwaukee mature into the semi-finals or beyond. Their depth is scary..... Good to be a Bucks fan this year for their fans.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
whitemamba12
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by whitemamba12 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:50 am

jacoby1us wrote:Milwaukee by far had the best off season. If they remain healthy this team could definitely shoot up from a bottom seed to a top 5 seed in the East. Do not be surprised to see Milwaukee mature into the semi-finals or beyond. Their depth is scary..... Good to be a Bucks fan this year for their fans.

Don't see how signing Greg Monroe compares to the Cavs locking up Love and Thompson. And no legitimate contender is remotely worried about the Bucks. Unless Jabari Parker is going to come in and be an MVP caliber player, the Bucks have zero chance of making it out of the second round. And it's not very likely they even make the second round, nor is it a lock they will even be in the playoffs at all.
phenith
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#4 » by phenith » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:58 am

whitemamba12 wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:Milwaukee by far had the best off season. If they remain healthy this team could definitely shoot up from a bottom seed to a top 5 seed in the East. Do not be surprised to see Milwaukee mature into the semi-finals or beyond. Their depth is scary..... Good to be a Bucks fan this year for their fans.

Don't see how signing Greg Monroe compares to the Cavs locking up Love and Thompson. And no legitimate contender is remotely worried about the Bucks. Unless Jabari Parker is going to come in and be an MVP caliber player, the Bucks have zero chance of making it out of the second round. And it's not very likely they even make the second round, nor is it a lock they will even be in the playoffs at all.

Someone obviously didn't watch much Bucks basketball last year. The Bucks are young and good on defense, adding Monroe, combined with their young core a year older after coming off an impressive showing last season (considering people thought they were garbage last year too).

Now I'm not saying they are contenders, but adding a solid big who will fit in well with your group of young guns is better than just retaining your team.

Bottom line is, you missed the point of the question. Retaining Love who had nearly his worst season of his career last year, and then paying a playoff hero who has only really proven he is an excellent offensive rebounder, and versatile defender 18 million a year doesn't scream "best off-season" to me. But don't get me wrong, Cavs are still a top 3 team, but it wasn't because of this off-season.
whitemamba12
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by whitemamba12 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:52 pm

phenith wrote:
whitemamba12 wrote:

Someone obviously didn't watch much Bucks basketball last year. The Bucks are young and good on defense, adding Monroe, combined with their young core a year older after coming off an impressive showing last season (considering people thought they were garbage last year too).

Now I'm not saying they are contenders, but adding a solid big who will fit in well with your group of young guns is better than just retaining your team.

Bottom line is, you missed the point of the question. Retaining Love who had nearly his worst season of his career last year, and then paying a playoff hero who has only really proven he is an excellent offensive rebounder, and versatile defender 18 million a year doesn't scream "best off-season" to me. But don't get me wrong, Cavs are still a top 3 team, but it wasn't because of this off-season.

Simple question: Would you rather have Kevin Love or Greg Monroe on your team? I'm fairly confident 30/30 GMs would choose Kevin Love.
phenith
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#6 » by phenith » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:35 am

whitemamba12 wrote:
phenith wrote:
whitemamba12 wrote:

Simple question: Would you rather have Kevin Love or Greg Monroe on your team? I'm fairly confident 30/30 GMs would choose Kevin Love.

So last year people said the Cavs misused Love and everyone knows Monroe was misused and unwanted in Detroit almost his whole time there. So a comparison of their last season is fair.

Kevin Love, 27 years old
16.4 ppg 9.7 rpg 2.2 apg .5 bpg .5 spg in 75 games (33:45 mins) on 43.4 fg% 36.7 3pt% 80.4 ft% -- 5 yrs 110 million

Greg Monroe, 25 years old
15.9 ppg, 10.2 rpg 2.1 apg .5 bpg 1.1 spg in 69 games (30:58 mins) on 49.6 fg% 75 ft% -- 3 yrs 50 million

And if you have ever once thought to yourself that Monroe was a bad defender, then you must think Love is brutal. That category definitely doesn't go to Love.
I can't speak for GMs, but it's pretty blind to pay a guy who's the worst defender of the 2, that's 2 years older and had similar production last year 60 million more for 2 extra years. Oh ya, the older guy who isn't as good on defense also just came off season-ending surgery.
People dogged Love his whole time with the T'Wolves about "empty" stats, you know what, they were right, he looked lost in an offence that wasn't centered on him.

Bottom line is, they are both good players and I think the gap between them isn't nearly as big (or even present) as people think it is.
One got free reign over his team from the time he got into the league until he had to play with other good player(s).
The other got misused until he left in free agency(even took the 1 year qualifier to become unrestricted).

I'm thinking your "confidence" that every single GM would shell out an extra 60 million for 2 extra years of Love over Monroe in this situation, you are either a Cavs homer or you haven't examined all the facts and are just saying things arbitrarily.

Either way, time will tell, but when these 2 contracts have completed, Love WILL NOT have performed so much better than Monroe that it will justify 60 million more for those 2 extra years. Cavs are chasing a chip and couldn't let an asset like Love walk, that's the most simple answer.

So to answer your not so "simple" question, depending on my team make-up and situation, I would definitely consider the younger guy coming out of a bad situation who plays better "team" ball and will cost me an average of nearly 5 million less per season. I know the GMs of a lot of teams are pretty bad, but I'm sure there are some smart ones out there... like in Milwaukee.

Reppin' t he Raps since '95,
Phenith

Return to Polls Discussion