Who is currently the best center in the NBA?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Who is currently the best center in the NBA? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:56 pm

1. Cousins
2. M. Gasol
3. D. Howard
4. Duncan
5. Drummond
6. D. Jordan
7. Gobert
8. Other
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,300

Re: Who is currently the best center in the NBA? 

Post#2 » by goodboy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:39 pm

6.5% - Hassan Whiteside
Bright
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#3 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:40 am

24.1pts 12.7reb 3.6ast

vs.

17.4pts 7.8reb 3.8 ast

This is like an intelligence test. Not even a very tough intelligence test.
Whopper_Sr
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#4 » by Whopper_Sr » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:51 am

Big Timmy still
iserp
Junior
And1: 100

Post#5 » by iserp » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:38 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:24.1pts 12.7reb 3.6ast

vs.

17.4pts 7.8reb 3.8 ast

That's why one team is always in the playoffs and other in the bottom of the west. I heard that when you have the best player in the most important position in basketball you use to win.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM

Post#6 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:19 pm

iserp wrote:

vs.

17.4pts 7.8reb 3.8 ast

That's why one team is always in the playoffs and other in the bottom of the west. I heard that when you have the best player in the most important position in basketball you use to win.

Zach Randolph, Mike Conley and the Grindfather all wave hello
iserp
Junior

Post#7 » by iserp » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
iserp wrote:

vs.

17.4pts 7.8reb 3.8 ast

It is not as if the win totals are close, and we have to look at the rest of the team to look who has more help. Sacramento record is pathetic. And it is not as if DMC is carrying a team of bums; i heard Rudy Gay went to the playoffs... with Gasol. There are things like defense (DMC is not bad, but not great), TOs and that Memphis plays at much slower pace. But perhaps that is too much for your intelligence test.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM

Post#8 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:39 pm

iserp wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:
iserp wrote:

It is not as if the win totals are close, and we have to look at the rest of the team to look who has more help. Sacramento record is pathetic. And it is not as if DMC is carrying a team of bums; i heard Rudy Gay went to the playoffs... with Gasol. There are things like defense (DMC is not bad, but not great), TOs and that Memphis plays at much slower pace. But perhaps that is too much for your intelligence test.

By almost any number or metric we have, DeMarcus Cousins was significantly SUPERIOR as a defender to Marc Gasol last year, without even taking into account the impact the yawning chasm between their rebounding makes. In fact his impact across the board on the Kings was on an entirely different level than Gasol's on Memphis. The sad sack Kings actually won Cousins' minutes when he was on the floor for them. They were actually a +.500 team so long as he stayed on the floor. Unfortunately he had to leave occasionally, got sick, played for 3 coaches etc., and they were Philly bad without him.

And yes, when people get hung up on the very most basic sports-for-dummies "stat" we have, a TEAM'S overall record, and can't get their analysis beyond that...that's not encouraging. The simple trick would be mentally swapping the two players onto the other's team and asking yourself which one is in the lottery and which one is on the power team then. And I'll tell you something else about Boogie's power Grizzlies...the Warriors aren't getting away with covering him with Draymond Green.
iserp
Junior

Post#9 » by iserp » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
iserp wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

By almost any number or metric we have, DeMarcus Cousins was significantly SUPERIOR as a defender to Marc Gasol last year, without even taking into account the impact the yawning chasm between their rebounding makes. In fact his impact across the board on the Kings was on an entirely different level than Gasol's on Memphis. The sad sack Kings actually won Cousins' minutes when he was on the floor for them. They were actually a +.500 team so long as he stayed on the floor. Unfortunately he had to leave occasionally, got sick, played for 3 coaches etc., and they were Philly bad without him.

And yes, when people get hung up on the very most basic sports-for-dummies "stat" we have, a TEAM'S overall record, and can't get their analysis beyond that...that's not encouraging. The simple trick would be mentally swapping the two players onto the other's team and asking yourself which one is in the lottery and which one is on the power team then. And I'll tell you something else about Boogie's power Grizzlies...the Warriors aren't getting away with covering him with Draymond Green.

Defensive stats have a long way to go... Anyway, the few i can access (Defensive Win Shares and Defensive rating at basketball-reference) have Gasol as the better defender. Consensus subjective evaluation seems to agree (Marc Gasol was DPOY).

I can mentally swap Gasol with Cousins and the result is not pretty for the Grizzlies. Gasol is player that gives up his personal stats for the team, and that has worked. That's how he got to mess with Zach Randolph, who was considered a cancer before he got to Memphis. Now, i can see lots of chemistry problems in a frontcourt of Randolph and Cousins. Cousins is a great player, no doubt, but he does not care for his team and that makes him a worse player.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#10 » by JazzMatt13 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:15 pm

I am glad Gobert is on list, he was as amazing as we was, because of him, not cause he had a great point guard, in fact he had a rookie point guard who isn't traditional, an experiment.

M. Gasol has the overall package, like what Duncan had. People rate all these guys over Duncan, as seen on the fantasy sports thing, but fact is, Duncan wins championships. That x-factor M. Gasol has most of.

D. Jordan is only as good as seen cause of CP3. Drummond, Cousins and Howard are great stat guys but they will never a championship. Will Gobert win one, probably not, but I still put him above everyone but M Gasol and Duncan.
ChuckyFE
Junior
And1: 414

Post#11 » by ChuckyFE » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:30 pm

vs.

17.4pts 7.8reb 3.8 ast

Anyone can pull out the stats they want to win an argument...

Marc Gasol has a higher win share, produces way more points than Cousins per 100 possessions (Gasol 111, Cousins 104) and Gasol also narrowly beats Cousins on defense per 100 possessions by allowing 100 vs 101. Cousins is also a notorious turnover machine.

Cousins has the ability to be the best center in the NBA, Gasol just has the little intangibles (including mental state) which edge him over Cousins for now.
DUHON to others as they DUHON to you.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#12 » by luss54321 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:14 am

A couple years ago Joakim Noah was DPOY and 4th in MVP voting... as a Bulls fan, I can't even argue that he belong on this list. Last year's performance was disgraceful.
szkorhetz
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#13 » by szkorhetz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:16 am

Timmy all the way.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#14 » by perempe20 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:01 am

many good centers. i really liked Pekovic before his injury. now I like Hassan, he's blocks are unbelivable.

but 90's centers were much better.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#15 » by LaRance » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I chose Gasol over Cousins because cousins cant atleast bring his team into the playoffs even at a 8th seed. if your that dominnt of a center you should atleast be able to accomplish that personally
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM

Post#16 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:54 am

LaRance wrote:I chose Gasol over Cousins because cousins cant atleast bring his team into the playoffs even at a 8th seed. if your that dominnt of a center you should atleast be able to accomplish that personally

The Kings are 6-28 the last two seasons without Cousins. That's Philly bad. About 17 wins a season bad. That they have won 29 a season instead is entirely due to Cousins adding a dozen wins a season all by himself. They've just been so bad to start with that nobody could add the +30 wins all by themselves that would be needed to make them a playoff team.
Tarik_shaq
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#17 » by Tarik_shaq » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:19 am

smh this is a rigged poll. why does gobert have 3 % of the vote and around 37% for cousins? smh
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#18 » by BallerTalk » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:28 am

It's hard for me to fathom voting a guy "Best Center in the NBA" who has never averaged double figure rebounds.

7'1" with seven seasons in the NBA and not once top 10 rebs a game just stands out to me for a center.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#19 » by Pedro » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:42 am

szkorhetz wrote:Timmy all the way.

Tim Duncan is not a true Center. He's a PF that fills in at center for certain line-ups, thus should never be in any discussion about "greatest centers".
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#20 » by luss54321 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:59 pm

BallerTalk wrote:It's hard for me to fathom voting a guy "Best Center in the NBA" who has never averaged double figure rebounds.

7'1" with seven seasons in the NBA and not once top 10 rebs a game just stands out to me for a center.

Marc Gasol is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Don't get me wrong, he's a very solid, above average player, but we're talking about a center who doesn't score very well and doesn't rebound very well. Career numbers of 14 PPG and 8 REB

Return to Polls Discussion