Which player would you prefer to build a team around for the next decade?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Which player would you prefer to build a team around for the next decade? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:02 pm

1. Towns
2. Porzingis
3. Embiid
4. Jokic
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,421

Re: Which player would you prefer to build a team around for the next decade? 

Post#2 » by scrabbarista » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Great poll. It could end up being any of these guys. I went with the majority, though: Embiid.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#3 » by colaroaster » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:51 pm

towns may-not be the most talented, but he knows how to stay on the court
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#4 » by oceanlife » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:14 am

colaroaster wrote:towns may-not be the most talented, but he knows how to stay on the court

That is a very good point, Towns seems to be the lowest risk when it comes to injury. Embiid has the potential to dominate at an MVP level, but his injury history is scary. Same could be said for Porzingis; guys with his height have traditionally not been durable. Taking either of those two comes with a fairly high degree of risk. With KAT, it's safe to be he'll be putting 25/11 up for the next ten years.

The big thing that bothers me with Towns is his tendency to have defensive lapses. He hits the boards well and has a great touch offensively which makes him a max-contract player. But if we are talking about players to build around for a decade we have to hold players to an almost unfair standard. In the games I've watched KAT has had very poor awareness of what his man is doing. When he is dialed in his man-man defense looks great, but out of no where he misses cuts that cost his team a few buckets every game they shouldn't be giving up.

Yes KAT is young and inexperienced, but Tim Duncan's defense at his age (22) was already DPOY level. Alonzo Mourning was already an elite defender at 22. If KAT isn't improving under Thibs I am not sure if he is going to be that next level player. For that reason I would pick Embiid to build around but it would be close. Unlike KAT, I don't have any question that Embiid is going to be able to dominate on both ends IF he stays healthy. They are all good choices, but I believe the chances that Embiid is going to be healthy are greater than KAT learning to defend at an All-NBA level. Trusting the process.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#5 » by Pennebaker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:25 am

I wouldn't want to build around any of these guys, to be honest.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,247

Post#6 » by Harry Garris » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 pm

I'd say Porzingis for now. Once Embiid proves he can stay healthy for 70+ games in a season he'd be my pick.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#7 » by Bball0000 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Embiiiiiiiiiid

Olajuwon potential. Porz a close 2nd
Magoose
Junior
And1: 136

Post#8 » by Magoose » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:01 pm

double post
Magoose
Junior
And1: 136

Post#9 » by Magoose » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:01 pm

oceanlife wrote:
colaroaster wrote:towns may-not be the most talented, but he knows how to stay on the court

That is a very good point, Towns seems to be the lowest risk when it comes to injury. Embiid has the potential to dominate at an MVP level, but his injury history is scary. Same could be said for Porzingis; guys with his height have traditionally not been durable. Taking either of those two comes with a fairly high degree of risk. With KAT, it's safe to be he'll be putting 25/11 up for the next ten years.

The big thing that bothers me with Towns is his tendency to have defensive lapses. He hits the boards well and has a great touch offensively which makes him a max-contract player. But if we are talking about players to build around for a decade we have to hold players to an almost unfair standard. In the games I've watched KAT has had very poor awareness of what his man is doing. When he is dialed in his man-man defense looks great, but out of no where he misses cuts that cost his team a few buckets every game they shouldn't be giving up.

Yes KAT is young and inexperienced, but Tim Duncan's defense at his age (22) was already DPOY level. Alonzo Mourning was already an elite defender at 22. If KAT isn't improving under Thibs I am not sure if he is going to be that next level player. For that reason I would pick Embiid to build around but it would be close. Unlike KAT, I don't have any question that Embiid is going to be able to dominate on both ends IF he stays healthy. They are all good choices, but I believe the chances that Embiid is going to be healthy are greater than KAT learning to defend at an All-NBA level. Trusting the process.

Very well put and reasonably argued. Very good post. Exactly my thoughts even though I'd pick Towns because here's hope he still can be that defensive player the Wolves need him to be. But its very close especially if Embiid proves to stay on the floor.
CometGM
Senior
And1: 407

Post#10 » by CometGM » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Magoose wrote:
oceanlife wrote:

Very well put and reasonably argued. Very good post. Exactly my thoughts even though I'd pick Towns because here's hope he still can be that defensive player the Wolves need him to be. But its very close especially if Embiid proves to stay on the floor.

I agree. That was a very good post. Embiid is the better player right now but as lost as Towns has been at times on defense, I feel like he will eventually get it because of his personality type. He actually cares and listens. He's like a big kid while Embiid is like a grown man even though they are practically the same age. Once Towns gets more confidence in himself and grows out of his shell I feel like his consistency and accountability will improve.
ballonthewall
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by ballonthewall » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:20 pm

CometGM wrote:
Magoose wrote:
oceanlife wrote:

I agree. That was a very good post. Embiid is the better player right now but as lost as Towns has been at times on defense, I feel like he will eventually get it because of his personality type. He actually cares and listens. He's like a big kid while Embiid is like a grown man even though they are practically the same age. Once Towns gets more confidence in himself and grows out of his shell I feel like his consistency and accountability will improve.

I love KP, his frame is terrifying from a health perspective. Towns' defense is troublesome, but I think because of his gifts and size, his prime defense should be good enough to be above average, which is enough given his offensive talent and rebounding ability. These posts probably encompass all the relevant arguments regarding these players. I'd take Embiid because I'd rather roll the dice on a player who might not play 82 games, but when he plays he could be walking (or limping) trip to the finals. Sixers recent slide shows that he's the transformative talent defensively and offensively.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#12 » by LaRance » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:09 am

:D When your 7'3 and can shoot the way Porzingis can. You will be great for many many many many years to come
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Post#13 » by Moochthemonkey » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:31 am

Pennebaker wrote:I wouldn't want to build around any of these guys, to be honest.

are you from the future where the Lebron Genome Project was successful or something?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#14 » by Killboard » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:38 pm

oceanlife wrote:

Also, Duncan had a great team since day one and specially a DPOY and MVP type of player to teach him inside the court. Towns is currently having a real team around him for first time in his pro career. He probably wont be the defender Duncan was, but he already has shown progress this season and will continue to get better. Thibs system is complex but has a higher ceiling than other coaches strategies.
Towns has no problems containing guards or defending 1 on 1 down the block. His problem is getting caught in middle zone in P&R situations and boxing out instead of stat padding. I think winning will do wonders for him, but he isnt like K. Love who didnt have the tools to begin with.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#15 » by 12footrim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:52 pm

RealGM Polls wrote:1. Towns2. Porzingis3. Embiid4. Jokic

Embid is the best & highest upside guy, but he's way to much of an injury risk. Townes plays no defense, and Porzingis is an injury risk as well and is highly opposed to bulking up or play center which is going to be highly problematic if he's playing PF in 5 years when he can't move as well or if those knee's and frame can carry more weight. Embid had bone density issue rumors too.

I think Jokic is the safest player to build around personally with the game that is the most likely to last the entire decade. He's already got old man game and can lead a top notch offense. His defense is also highly underrated.

Defensive RPM
2018..#21 in the NBA
2017..#34
2016..#10

he might not have the tools but you compare what he actually does on the court to someone like Townes on D and he actually has tangible results from his instincts. He's shooting three's and doing pretty much everything else you want as well except blocking shots but his defense is good so who cares. He's had less injury risk than Embid or Prozingis too. I do believe he will have the most longevity on this list if I were betting today. Townes is just to lost on defense even under a defensive coach.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#16 » by cheese318 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 pm

After reading your breakdown I have to agree with you. If injuries were of no issue I think Embiid is by far the top pick. Porzingis would be my #2 selection. Shocking because this time last year I am taking Towns #1. I question Towns defense overall and really thing he has to work on that side of the game

12footrim wrote:
RealGM Polls wrote:1. Towns2. Porzingis3. Embiid4. Jokic

Embid is the best & highest upside guy, but he's way to much of an injury risk. Townes plays no defense, and Porzingis is an injury risk as well and is highly opposed to bulking up or play center which is going to be highly problematic if he's playing PF in 5 years when he can't move as well or if those knee's and frame can carry more weight. Embid had bone density issue rumors too.

I think Jokic is the safest player to build around personally with the game that is the most likely to last the entire decade. He's already got old man game and can lead a top notch offense. His defense is also highly underrated.

Defensive RPM
2018..#21 in the NBA
2017..#34
2016..#10

he might not have the tools but you compare what he actually does on the court to someone like Townes on D and he actually has tangible results from his instincts. He's shooting three's and doing pretty much everything else you want as well except blocking shots but his defense is good so who cares. He's had less injury risk than Embid or Prozingis too. I do believe he will have the most longevity on this list if I were betting today. Townes is just to lost on defense even under a defensive coach.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:08 pm

cheese318 wrote:After reading your breakdown I have to agree with you. If injuries were of no issue I think Embiid is by far the top pick. Porzingis would be my #2 selection. Shocking because this time last year I am taking Towns #1. I question Towns defense overall and really thing he has to work on that side of the game

Yep. Embid would be the clear #1 but the bone density stuff I think is real and unfortunate and probably impossible to overcome. The fact he can't stay on the court certainly isn't encouraging especially while he's still young and has barely played. What's it going to look like in 5 years with a few more miles and when the body doesn't recover as well.

Townes can have all the gifts in the world but if you can't put them together on Defense or get any actual results what's it matter? Every year he doesn't get it the less likely he is to and I think we have hit a tipping point it's more likely he never reaches that potiental than he does.

Jokic has already led a historic offense last year from the time he started starting in December. That potiental has already been realized and what he lacks in tools on D he actually gets results on instincts. The things he does well like pass, handle the ball, instints, shoot I can really only see improving. His game's not based on athletic ability so when all these guys get around 30 he might have the clear best last half of the career. I'd take the longevity.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#18 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:07 pm

There's a Jokic outside of tennis?
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#19 » by theman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm

12footrim wrote:
cheese318 wrote:After reading your breakdown I have to agree with you. If injuries were of no issue I think Embiid is by far the top pick. Porzingis would be my #2 selection. Shocking because this time last year I am taking Towns #1. I question Towns defense overall and really thing he has to work on that side of the game

Yep. Embid would be the clear #1 but the bone density stuff I think is real and unfortunate and probably impossible to overcome. The fact he can't stay on the court certainly isn't encouraging especially while he's still young and has barely played. What's it going to look like in 5 years with a few more miles and when the body doesn't recover as well.

Townes can have all the gifts in the world but if you can't put them together on Defense or get any actual results what's it matter? Every year he doesn't get it the less likely he is to and I think we have hit a tipping point it's more likely he never reaches that potiental than he does.

Jokic has already led a historic offense last year from the time he started starting in December. That potiental has already been realized and what he lacks in tools on D he actually gets results on instincts. The things he does well like pass, handle the ball, instints, shoot I can really only see improving. His game's not based on athletic ability so when all these guys get around 30 he might have the clear best last half of the career. I'd take the longevity.

Embiid does seem like the most talented player. Embiid has such an incredible impact on the 76ers on the court vs off the court it is tough to discount his impact. But there are the health concerns.

Jokic has had some injury issues as well but nothing chronic. Jokic has the best effective FG% of the group and by far the best assist to turnover ratio. Despite getting may more assists than Embiid and Towns he has fewer turn overs. Points per game is really his biggest weakness when compared to the others.

Most advanced statistics also seem to favor Jokic. When I watch Jokic highlights I can't help but think of Larry Bird. I think he lacks Bird's killer instinct but the passing ability is there. He is tremendous at finding the team mate who is cutting to the basket.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#20 » by theman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:There's a Jokic outside of tennis?

Someone doesn't pay attention to basketball.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger

Return to Polls Discussion