Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season?

User avatar
RealGM Polls
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,534
And1: 6
Joined: Jun 21, 2013

Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm

1. Mitchell
2. Simmons
3. Tatum
4. Markkanen
5. Fox
AK47MVP
Rookie
Posts: 1,129
And1: 611
Joined: Jul 30, 2012

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#2 » by AK47MVP » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Simmons is special, don't get me wrong, but Mitchell is leading his team in scoring and winning games for them in 4th quarter. That gives him edge over Simmons.
Image
macNcheese3
Analyst
Posts: 3,359
And1: 1,046
Joined: Jul 04, 2015
   

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#3 » by macNcheese3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Mitchell. Tatum has been nice but Mitchell is playing so consistent, furthermore he is in the Wild Wild West.
valrond1
Ballboy
Posts: 34
And1: 19
Joined: Aug 21, 2017
       

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#4 » by valrond1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:45 pm

Where is Kyle Kuzma?
LeftWright
Ballboy
Posts: 18
And1: 2
Joined: Aug 27, 2013

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#5 » by LeftWright » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 am

I know the conversation is usually Mitchell vs Simmons but Tatum is the number 2 scoring option on a Top 5 team and is playing at an elite level
User avatar
SuperDario
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,306
And1: 1,067
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
     

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#6 » by SuperDario » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:14 am

AK47MVP wrote:Simmons is special, don't get me wrong, but Mitchell is leading his team in scoring and winning games for them in 4th quarter. That gives him edge over Simmons.


Sixers been winning games too. No way in hell Mitchell has the edge at this point. I would bet my mortgage on it.
"In my hood, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The 76ers WILL make the playoffs in the 17-18 season - sig bet with LordRiley & Ramed Nazored
HotelVitale
Head Coach
Posts: 6,119
And1: 2,396
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:20 am

LeftWright wrote:I know the conversation is usually Mitchell vs Simmons but Tatum is the number 2 scoring option on a Top 5 team and is playing at an elite level

No knock on him but that's a misleading way to put it. He's been a nice cog in a pretty blah offense--22nd in off rtg in the league--and he's definitely not the 2nd most important part of it. He's 3rd in scoring on the team but only a point away from being 5th (Horford and M Morris both average basically the same as he does), and he's 6th on the team in usage. There's also nothing remotely close to 'elite' about anything he's doing apart from his shooting efficiency--which is already rookie-wall'ing back down towards average. He's been very solid in his role but his team doesn't depend on him nearly as much as Simmons' and Mitchell's teams do.

macNcheese3 wrote:Tatum has been nice but Mitchell is playing so consistent, furthermore he is in the Wild Wild West.

Mitchell is a huge talent but consistency is definitely not him. Take a glance at any week of the season and guy's all over the place--shoots 28% one game and 65% the next, 6 dimes and 0 TOs one game and 1 asst to 5 TOs the next. (Also the 'Wild Wild West' doesn't exist this year, conferences are virtually even in terms of spread of good, bad, and decent teams.)
Black Mage
Senior
Posts: 546
And1: 431
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#8 » by Black Mage » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 pm

AK47MVP wrote:Simmons is special, don't get me wrong, but Mitchell is leading his team in scoring and winning games for them in 4th quarter. That gives him edge over Simmons.



Shocking a chucker taking over 18 shots a game is leading his team in scoring. I never would have seen that coming.

Funny how everyone who said Gobert was a better center than Embiid are now dismissing Gobert's presence and saying Simmons has the benefit of Embiid as a crutch to elevate Mitchell.

Nevermind that Simmons crushes DM in almost every advanced metric. All DM does better is score points, but only at 2.5 more than Simmons on 5-6 more shots a game.
DthTrap
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 3
Joined: Feb 07, 2018
         

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#9 » by DthTrap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Simmons is good but Mitchell is exciting to watch and does more for his team. Idc if 76ers make the playoffs and the Jazz doesnt, give Mitchel RoY. Dallas my favorite team but i wish we had drafted him instead tbh.
Lava Rock Kid
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,298
And1: 119
Joined: Feb 05, 2008
Location: Idaho Falls

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#10 » by Lava Rock Kid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Mitchell is the focal point of the others team defense every night. he is Utahs offense. Tatum is at best the third best player on Boston on offense. Simmons is at best the third best offensive player on Philly.

Mitchell is carrying a team, where the other two are helping a team.
User avatar
SuperDario
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,306
And1: 1,067
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
     

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#11 » by SuperDario » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Lava Rock Kid wrote:Mitchell is the focal point of the others team defense every night. he is Utahs offense. Tatum is at best the third best player on Boston on offense. Simmons is at best the third best offensive player on Philly.

Mitchell is carrying a team, where the other two are helping a team.


Who is the 2nd best offensive player in Philly...? Also Simmons' defensive prowess should not be overlooked.
"In my hood, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The 76ers WILL make the playoffs in the 17-18 season - sig bet with LordRiley & Ramed Nazored
DthTrap
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 3
Joined: Feb 07, 2018
         

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#12 » by DthTrap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:11 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Lava Rock Kid wrote:Mitchell is the focal point of the others team defense every night. he is Utahs offense. Tatum is at best the third best player on Boston on offense. Simmons is at best the third best offensive player on Philly.

Mitchell is carrying a team, where the other two are helping a team.


Who is the 2nd best offensive player in Philly...? Also Simmons' defensive prowess should not be overlooked.

Dario Saric and Covington do more then Simmons. Ben gets his on fast break points and PnR action. He is like a poor man Giannis but w/o a mid range or atleast a post game. In the long run maybe Simmons becomes a better player but right now Mitchell RoY.
User avatar
SuperDario
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,306
And1: 1,067
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
     

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#13 » by SuperDario » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:25 pm

DthTrap wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
Lava Rock Kid wrote:Mitchell is the focal point of the others team defense every night. he is Utahs offense. Tatum is at best the third best player on Boston on offense. Simmons is at best the third best offensive player on Philly.

Mitchell is carrying a team, where the other two are helping a team.


Who is the 2nd best offensive player in Philly...? Also Simmons' defensive prowess should not be overlooked.

Dario Saric and Covington do more then Simmons. Ben gets his on fast break points and PnR action. He is like a poor man Giannis but w/o a mid range or atleast a post game. In the long run maybe Simmons becomes a better player but right now Mitchell RoY.


No way Covington is a better offensive player, although I guess it could be argued that Saric is. Simmons actually has an excellent post game; he's a jump shot away from being an incredibly well-rounded player. Mitchell is a more dynamic scorer but worse play-maker, defender, rebounder... you name it. ROY belongs to Ben.
"In my hood, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The 76ers WILL make the playoffs in the 17-18 season - sig bet with LordRiley & Ramed Nazored
luss54321
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,591
And1: 200
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#14 » by luss54321 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm

When it's all said and done Markkanen will be the best player from this draft class. He's such a unique talent. Outstanding shooter - his percentages have dropped but he has a beautiful stroke and a lightning quick release. Last month he shot 43% 3PT while taking 6 of them per game. 86% FT shows that his shooting mechanics are top notch. He can take his man off the dribble and finish in traffic, score in the post, run the floor in transition, and his defense is actually very well developed for a rookie. He has great instincts and receives constant praise from the coaching staff on the defensive end. I see Markkanen as a 25 PPG scorer with 50/40/90 potential.
User avatar
Harry Garris
Senior
Posts: 621
And1: 567
Joined: Jul 12, 2017
     

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#15 » by Harry Garris » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Fox? Does there just have to be 5 options to create a poll?
Image
User avatar
Harry Garris
Senior
Posts: 621
And1: 567
Joined: Jul 12, 2017
     

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#16 » by Harry Garris » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 pm

luss54321 wrote:When it's all said and done Markkanen will be the best player from this draft class. He's such a unique talent. Outstanding shooter - his percentages have dropped but he has a beautiful stroke and a lightning quick release. Last month he shot 43% 3PT while taking 6 of them per game. 86% FT shows that his shooting mechanics are top notch. He can take his man off the dribble and finish in traffic, score in the post, run the floor in transition, and his defense is actually very well developed for a rookie. He has great instincts and receives constant praise from the coaching staff on the defensive end. I see Markkanen as a 25 PPG scorer with 50/40/90 potential.


Yeah I mostly want to see if he'll be able to turn into a very switchable defender who can check guys on the perimeter and be one of those jack of all trades players who makes coaching defense easy. If he learns how to do that, I agree with you 100%. I have no idea how this guy was so underrated coming out of Arizona. I saw people saying he was "soft" cause he had low rebounding numbers, but the guy has been a monster in the NBA so far.
Image
mike76
Ballboy
Posts: 3
And1: 2
Joined: Jan 21, 2018
         

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#17 » by mike76 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Simmons/Mitchell:

Box Scores:
PPG: 16.4 / 19.5
FGA: 13.2 / 16.4
AST: 7.3 / 3.4
REB: 7.7 / 2.9
eFG%: 0.527 / 0.510
STL: 1.8 / 1.5
BLK: 0.9 / 0.4
TOV: 3.7 / 2.6
AST/TOV: 1.97 / 2.26
If each category receives equal weight (I'll leave out FGA), advantage Simmons 5-3

Advanced:
ORtg: 106 / 103
DRtg: 103 / 107
NetRtg: +3/-4
TS%: 54.2 / 54.5
TRB%: 12.0 / 6.2
AST%: 33.5 / 19.0
STL%: 2.6 / 2.3
BLK%: 2.2 / 1.1
TOV%: 19.7 / 12.6
USG%: 23.1 / 29.0
(USG% + AST%) (to show total involvement in offense and role on team): 56.6 / 48
WS: 4.8 / 3.1
BPM: 3.4 / 0.8
Leaving out USG%, and USG and AST%, advantage Simmons 9-2

Contributions to Winning:
RPM (as from ESPN): 2.77 (31st in the NBA) / 0.88 (92nd in NBA)
Importance to Team: 3rd highest RPM on team / 6th highest RPM on team
advantage to Simmons 2-0

Difficulty of Schedule/Talent of Team:
Head-to-Head: 2-0 to the Sixers (one of the games without Embiid)
Record: 29-25 / 29-28
Strength of Schedule [as per BBRef]: 0.63 (most difficult schedule in NBA) / 0.61 (2nd most difficult schedule in NBA)
Simple Rating System: 2.61 (7th in NBA) / 2.28 (9th in NBA)
advantage to Simmons 4-0

I love Mitchell, and I hope Fultz (when he comes back) is able to play on his same level because he's a truly fantastic player. But let's be real, if season ends today, Simmons is winning the ROTY and there should be no complaints or doubts about it. Lot of season left to play, but that's the reality as of now.
skulky
Freshman
Posts: 81
And1: 17
Joined: Jul 31, 2008

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#18 » by skulky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:08 am

mike76 wrote:Simmons/Mitchell:

Box Scores:
PPG: 16.4 / 19.5
FGA: 13.2 / 16.4
AST: 7.3 / 3.4
REB: 7.7 / 2.9
eFG%: 0.527 / 0.510
STL: 1.8 / 1.5
BLK: 0.9 / 0.4
TOV: 3.7 / 2.6
AST/TOV: 1.97 / 2.26
If each category receives equal weight (I'll leave out FGA), advantage Simmons 5-3

Advanced:
ORtg: 106 / 103
DRtg: 103 / 107
NetRtg: +3/-4
TS%: 54.2 / 54.5
TRB%: 12.0 / 6.2
AST%: 33.5 / 19.0
STL%: 2.6 / 2.3
BLK%: 2.2 / 1.1
TOV%: 19.7 / 12.6
USG%: 23.1 / 29.0
(USG% + AST%) (to show total involvement in offense and role on team): 56.6 / 48
WS: 4.8 / 3.1
BPM: 3.4 / 0.8
Leaving out USG%, and USG and AST%, advantage Simmons 9-2

Contributions to Winning:
RPM (as from ESPN): 2.77 (31st in the NBA) / 0.88 (92nd in NBA)
Importance to Team: 3rd highest RPM on team / 6th highest RPM on team
advantage to Simmons 2-0

Difficulty of Schedule/Talent of Team:
Head-to-Head: 2-0 to the Sixers (one of the games without Embiid)
Record: 29-25 / 29-28
Strength of Schedule [as per BBRef]: 0.63 (most difficult schedule in NBA) / 0.61 (2nd most difficult schedule in NBA)
Simple Rating System: 2.61 (7th in NBA) / 2.28 (9th in NBA)
advantage to Simmons 4-0

I love Mitchell, and I hope Fultz (when he comes back) is able to play on his same level because he's a truly fantastic player. But let's be real, if season ends today, Simmons is winning the ROTY and there should be no complaints or doubts about it. Lot of season left to play, but that's the reality as of now.

but dude points per game :roll:
getitdone323
Junior
Posts: 370
And1: 502
Joined: Feb 05, 2013
         

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#19 » by getitdone323 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:09 am

this debate is between mitchell and simmons, but the fact that fox is on here over kuzma continues a trend of anti lakers theme with people who run RealGM . I mean fox has had a worse season than lonzo(dont give me that defense bs, because lonzo has been a better defender via eye test and metrics)
getitdone323
Junior
Posts: 370
And1: 502
Joined: Feb 05, 2013
         

Re: Who has been Rookie of the Year at this point in the season? 

Post#20 » by getitdone323 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 am

Fox: 11.3ppg 2.7rebs, 4.3assts 41.2% FG 32.6 %3FG PERL 11.3, WS: 0.5

Kuzma: 15.7ppg 6rebs, 1.9assts 45.2% FG,36.2 %3FG PER 14.6, WS:2.7

like wtf? this not even a debate. Can someone who works for realgm answer why Fox is on this list over Kuzma?

Return to Polls Discussion