Re: What grade do you give the Raptors for their offseason moves?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

What grade do you give the Raptors for their offseason moves? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:11 am

1. A
2. B
3. C
4. D
5. F
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#2 » by tigerae » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 am

Honestly it's too early to tell. They fired the coach of the year and hired his assistant coach instead of getting a completely different staff to implement a new system. They also traded away their one franchise player that stayed for a better player but that comes with a lot of baggage and that may end up leaving next off-season anyway.

That to me means a lot of open ended questions for now. Will Nurse be the change they needed in the coaching staff or will his system be too similar to Casey's come the playoffs? Will the team implement Kawhi fast enough to be able to compete for the title this year or will it take another year or two along with additional moves to get there? Will their gamble on Kawhi pay off where he pulls a PG13 and ends up staying next summer or will he walk? Will the "misunderstanding" or "lack of loyalty" or "lying" or whatever you want to call it with DeRozan backfire with Kawhi and/or other marquee free agents in the future until upper management changes are made?
7thshield
Junior
And1: 293

Post#3 » by 7thshield » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:36 am

tigerae wrote:Honestly it's too early to tell. They fired the coach of the year and hired his assistant coach instead of getting a completely different staff to implement a new system. They also traded away their one franchise player that stayed for a better player but that comes with a lot of baggage and that may end up leaving next off-season anyway.

That to me means a lot of open ended questions for now. Will Nurse be the change they needed in the coaching staff or will his system be too similar to Casey's come the playoffs? Will the team implement Kawhi fast enough to be able to compete for the title this year or will it take another year or two along with additional moves to get there? Will their gamble on Kawhi pay off where he pulls a PG13 and ends up staying next summer or will he walk? Will the "misunderstanding" or "lack of loyalty" or "lying" or whatever you want to call it with DeRozan backfire with Kawhi and/or other marquee free agents in the future until upper management changes are made?

They don't give grades after the fact, they give them before the fact... so of course it's too early to tell. Doesn't mean you can't speculate.
watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Post#4 » by watpho71 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:45 am

The Raptor roster is 85% intact from last season. The trade and replacing the head coach was the off-season. I'm giving them a speculative C and not D because at least TOR reacted on their short comings. Damn, did they ever; coach of year and All-Star wing player, dismissed. How are the Raptors fans feeling about the off-season moves and upcoming season? I have to admit although risky, it's a very brash and brave move by management. If Kawhi is able to get back to form - first as an NBA active player and later at an elite level and then decides to make Toronto his new home - well, then my speculative C can be dismissed. Speculating further, in 2019 off-season, this trade will result in two expiring contracts and a franchise looking for a player to sign a max deal to come to Toronto (who cuts ties with Coaches of the Year and All-Star caliber players).
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#5 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:23 am

Only non-Raptor fans are surprised that they fired Casey.
Thank you Clutch0z24
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Re: Re: What grade do you give the Raptors for their offseason moves? 

Post#6 » by colaroaster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 pm

fire COY and trade a franchise corner stone for a one year rental? oh yeah the one year rental's is both mentally and physically fragile... bwhahaah!!!
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#7 » by AK47MVP » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:55 pm

they needed to fire Casey after 4-0 sweep at the hand of lower seeded Washington few years ago. But it is better later than never.
strawberry
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by strawberry » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 am

colaroaster wrote:fire COY and trade a franchise corner stone for a one year rental? oh yeah the one year rental's is both mentally and physically fragile... bwhahaah!!!

1. Casey should have been fired 3 years ago.

2. Casey didn't deserve COY, whatsoever. Brad Stevens was more deserving than anyone by a mile.

3. a franchise corner stone that was a huge defensive liability; how do you build around that in today's league? It's like we can't win with you Raptors haters. Nothing but hurr durr Trash Bros when they lose, then when we trade one of them who continually didn't show up in the playoffs, "hurr durr, you traded your cornerstone player"

4. Kawhi is a top 3 player in this league.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#9 » by jason bourne » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:17 pm

strawberry wrote:
colaroaster wrote:fire COY and trade a franchise corner stone for a one year rental? oh yeah the one year rental's is both mentally and physically fragile... bwhahaah!!!

2. Casey didn't deserve COY, whatsoever. Brad Stevens was more deserving than anyone by a mile.

3. a franchise corner stone that was a huge defensive liability; how do you build around that in today's league? It's like we can't win with you Raptors haters. Nothing but hurr durr Trash Bros when they lose, then when we trade one of them who continually didn't show up in the playoffs, "hurr durr, you traded your cornerstone player"

1. Casey did fine. He got results of four firsts and a second during the past five years. The only thing was he didn't get the Raptors deep enough to the Finals.
2. Casey deserved COTY. Brad Stevens did not have results Casey had. Casey only got fired because of not getting the Raptors deep enough in the playoffs, but they needed better players. If Casey can get fired for that, then Stevens could get fired for not getting the Celtics to the Finals.
3. Have no idea what you are talking about.
4. Sure, and he may lead the Raptors to another first place finish, but would have liked to see how Casey would've done. These are things we can't look back upon anymore, so it depends on how the new coach and Kawhi help the Raptors this year. I gave the Raptors a B because of firing Casey and a risky trade for Kawhi Leonard.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#10 » by smallgains » Tue Sep 4, 2018 4:42 am

jason bourne wrote:
strawberry wrote:

1. Casey did fine. He got results of four firsts and a second during the past five years. The only thing was he didn't get the Raptors deep enough to the Finals.
2. Casey deserved COTY. Brad Stevens did not have results Casey had. Casey only got fired because of not getting the Raptors deep enough in the playoffs, but they needed better players. If Casey can get fired for that, then Stevens could get fired for not getting the Celtics to the Finals.
4. Sure, and he may lead the Raptors to another first place finish, but would have liked to see how Casey would've done. These are things we can't look back upon anymore, so it depends on how the new coach and Kawhi help the Raptors this year. I gave the Raptors a B because of firing Casey and a risky trade for Kawhi Leonard.

I agree with 3....you have no idea
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#11 » by jason bourne » Wed Sep 5, 2018 2:32 am

smallgains wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
strawberry wrote:

I have an idea for the Raptors and that's trade Serge Ibaka and start OG (assuming he's ready). Try and get a wing like Trevor Ariza. He may be available once the Suns fall out of the race.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#12 » by smallgains » Thu Sep 6, 2018 8:53 pm

jason bourne wrote:
smallgains wrote:
jason bourne wrote:

I have an idea for the Raptors and that's trade Serge Ibaka and start OG (assuming he's ready). Try and get a wing like Trevor Ariza. He may be available once the Suns fall out of the race.

I'm just messin with you mate. I'd like that trade by the way.

Return to Polls Discussion