Would you prefer a regular season where all 30 teams play each once home and away over the current system?

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: Would you prefer a regular season where all 30 teams play each once home and away over the current system? 

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 8:51 pm

Metallikid wrote:Who the hell wants less basketball?

That's what I was thinking that's only 58 games. Maybe 1 home and 1 away for teams not in your division and 6 games against each team in your division. That would be 50 non-division games and 24 in division games, plus 1 game against each team in your conference that would be 84 games.

The should start the regular season Sept 15th and end it April 30th. Then do an NCAA style tournament with the 16 play off teams. With a best of 7 finals.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Re: Would you prefer a regular season where all 30 teams play each once home and away over the current system? 

Post#4 » by anatomicbomb » Thu Apr 4, 2019 8:59 pm

I can appreciate there are some real reasons to shorten the regular season, but I feel like only seeing each team twice a year will make it much harder to develop interesting, emotional rivalries between teams, and it's usually those rivalries that help keep us interested during the regular season.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#5 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Apr 4, 2019 9:04 pm

anatomicbomb wrote:I can appreciate there are some real reasons to shorten the regular season, but I feel like only seeing each team twice a year will make it much harder to develop interesting, emotional rivalries between teams, and it's usually those rivalries that help keep us interested during the regular season.

Thank you.

People who say they love basketball...but then are constantly advocating for seeing less of it, seeing less of those big matchups...don't get it.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#6 » by dice » Thu Apr 4, 2019 9:11 pm

in division 4*5=20
in conference 10*3=30
OOC 15*2=30

80 games, no conference distinctions for playoffs. even though that dilutes rivalries in situations where 2 teams regularly meet up deep in their conference playoffs
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#7 » by ebrian » Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:05 am

I think they should just do away with the divisions. Make it 15*4 against your conference and then 15*2 against out of conference.

In NBA history, only 1 7th seed team has reached the NBA finals and no 8th seed ever. My proposal to offset the longer NBA Regular season is to shorten the number of qualifying playoff teams to 6 in each conference, with the top two teams getting a bye.

#2 vs #6, #3 vs #5 best of 5 games for each conference
then
#1 of winner vs #2 of winner (from above) best of 5 again
then
Conference finals best of 7
then
NBA Finals best of 7
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#8 » by alienpick » Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:12 am

ebrian wrote:I think they should just do away with the divisions. Make it 15*4 against your conference and then 15*2 against out of conference.

In NBA history, only 1 7th seed team has reached the NBA finals and no 8th seed ever. My proposal to offset the longer NBA Regular season is to shorten the number of qualifying playoff teams to 6 in each conference, with the top two teams getting a bye.

#2 vs #6, #3 vs #5 best of 5 games for each conference
then
#1 of winner vs #2 of winner (from above) best of 5 again
then
Conference finals best of 7
then
NBA Finals best of 7

Good idea, but no owner would want their team to get a bye. Playoff games make owners tons of money, they want as many games as possible at their home arena.
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#9 » by random_hero891 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:39 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:I can appreciate there are some real reasons to shorten the regular season, but I feel like only seeing each team twice a year will make it much harder to develop interesting, emotional rivalries between teams, and it's usually those rivalries that help keep us interested during the regular season.

Thank you.

People who say they love basketball...but then are constantly advocating for seeing less of it, seeing less of those big matchups...don't get it.

Its advocating for a higher quality of basketball, where games have more value to them. You get to see a more competitive, less injury depleted team. Quality over quantity for me.
Ismality
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Ismality » Fri Apr 5, 2019 6:44 pm

dice wrote:in division 4*5=20
in conference 10*3=30
OOC 15*2=30

80 games, no conference distinctions for playoffs. even though that dilutes rivalries in situations where 2 teams regularly meet up deep in their conference playoffs

I love the regular season breakdown. I just don't agree with "no conference distinctions for playoffs." Let those rivalries blossom/fester in the playoffs ;)
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#11 » by jason bourne » Fri Apr 5, 2019 7:01 pm

dice wrote:in division 4*5=20
in conference 10*3=30
OOC 15*2=30

This is nice in heading towards less games at the end of season like we are experiencing. What about making in division 3*5 = 15? That would make it 75 games for the season. I still like the conference distinction for the playoffs tho because that's when we ratchet up the rivalries even further. I didn't think of it before, but the conference and division rivalries are necessary. With no conference distinctions, I agree that it dilutes the rivalries and it would be similar to tournament basketball.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
RUN T M C
Senior
And1: 202

Post#12 » by RUN T M C » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:54 pm

How much revenue do the teams make per game? I would say no.

Why can't the NBA just shorten up the postseason. It's insane how long the playoff are.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#13 » by dice » Fri Apr 5, 2019 11:28 pm

RUN T M C wrote:How much revenue do the teams make per game? I would say no.

Why can't the NBA just shorten up the postseason. It's insane how long the playoff are.

aside from making the first round 5 game series, there's little that can be done. can't reduce to 12 teams because that's way too long a layoff for the teams receiving byes. and reducing all the way to 8 teams will never happen

what's incredibly obnoxious is the layoff BETWEEN games, especially when no travel is involved
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#14 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:59 pm

Add 2 teams expansion teams (Seattle and Kansas City) then move Minnesota and Memphis into the eastern conference

Make it a 32 team league.
16 teams in each conference
4 divisions of 4 teams in each conference.

Division Play = 5 games x 3 teams = 15(2 home 2 away)
Conference play = 3 games x 4 teams x 3 division conference = 36 games (1 home/2 away alternating by year then 2 home/1 away)
Interconference play = 16 x 2 = 32

32 interconference games + 36 intraconference games + 15 divisional games = 83 games

I like the odd games because then there is always a direct tie breaker between teams and this places more importance on divisional play and creates more opportunities for fierce rivalry games by geography.

I think the playoffs could be revamped to include more teams, maybe create a playin series. shorten the series down to 5 games
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#15 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:01 pm

dice wrote:
RUN T M C wrote:How much revenue do the teams make per game? I would say no.

aside from making the first round 5 game series, there's little that can be done. can't reduce to 12 teams because that's way too long a layoff for the teams receiving byes. and reducing all the way to 8 teams will never happen

what's incredibly obnoxious is the layoff BETWEEN games, especially when no travel is involved

Yeah back to back playoff games on home sequences. Then have a travel date. They do need to shorten the length of the playoff series.
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#16 » by Tussin33 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:36 am

dice wrote:
RUN T M C wrote:

This
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#17 » by dautjazz » Sun Apr 7, 2019 11:19 pm

Screw that, we already have stretched the season out a couple of weeks to reduce back to backs and give players more rest time, and a longer All-Star break. I would be pro to stretching the schedule out a week or two more to reduce back to backs even further. These players are quite pampered staying in 5 star hotels and flying in charter/team players with tons of comfort. Keep pampering them further, and they will keep asking for more. So if we reduce the games they have to play, can we reduce their salaries by a proportional amount? I bet they would love that.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#18 » by Badbobby » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:10 pm

I would seem the majority of voters do.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Post#19 » by jk31 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:16 pm

Badbobby wrote:

I would seem the majority of voters do.

Less basketball equals better basketball.

1. Each game has more weight on the final standings.
2. Players are more rested due to less games.
3. Teams can actually practice and prepare for opponents due to more time between games.
QWERTYUIOP1248
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#20 » by QWERTYUIOP1248 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 7:24 pm

I don't think this is the answer I believe that it shouldn't be 82 games but also shouldn't be 58 I think it should be in the middle. So instead of playing every team twice, it should be playing every team in the opposite conference twice and playing every team in your conference 3 times. So we're just adding 14 games; one more per team in your conference because otherwise what's the point in conferences?

Return to Polls Discussion