Will Zion Williamson be an All-Star in his first NBA season?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Will Zion Williamson be an All-Star in his first NBA season? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Thu May 16, 2019 5:04 pm

1. Yes
2. No
the_dinks
Sophomore
And1: 154

Re: Will Zion Williamson be an All-Star in his first NBA season? 

Post#2 » by the_dinks » Fri May 17, 2019 5:21 am

Based off of the five YouTube clips of him I've watched, I'm going to confidently answer "yes."
emceecombs
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by emceecombs » Fri May 17, 2019 5:49 am

I think he'll have a great rookie season, but how many rookies make the all-star team? I think that's an unfair expectation.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#4 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Fri May 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Stephen A Smith said this one best: Zion Willamson has been playing among boys, now he has to go against grown men.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#5 » by Barcs » Fri May 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Zion is going to be the biggest bust of all time.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
MeloNY
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

Post#6 » by MeloNY » Fri May 17, 2019 6:51 pm

More than likely. His name recognition alone will get him a ton of votes from casual fans.
phenith
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#7 » by phenith » Fri May 17, 2019 8:15 pm

MeloNY wrote:More than likely. His name recognition alone will get him a ton of votes from casual fans.

Very few rookies have made all-star teams and fan vote only counts for a portion of the final vote now so even less likely.

Zion looked dominant against lesser competition, but he is actually still a little raw. If NO keeps AD in an attempt to convince him to stay and play with Zion long term, they could actually be a decent team, but with AD and Holiday around, Zion won't be the focus and may actually disappoint from a stats standpoint.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#8 » by dice » Sat May 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Barcs wrote:Zion is going to be the biggest bust of all time.

the knicks may have traded for that guy. and you may have mis-spelled your username in an attempt to pay tribute to him
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 pm

If he's in the West than no. There are serious All-Star Snubs in the West every year, including his likely running-mate Holiday, who at 21/5/8 would certainly be an all-star in the East. So, NOP would need to be in the playoff mix and Zion would need to be clearly better than Holiday. Both of those seem unlikely in Zion's rookie season.
3ptLion
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#10 » by 3ptLion » Sun May 19, 2019 10:18 pm

With the fans voting for the starters who is to say.

Unlikely for a rook but he'll be on SportsCenter daily... so, if he gets a dozen big dunks in the first two months fans might get online and vote.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#11 » by arasu » Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:If he's in the West than no. There are serious All-Star Snubs in the West every year, including his likely running-mate Holiday, who at 21/5/8 would certainly be an all-star in the East. So, NOP would need to be in the playoff mix and Zion would need to be clearly better than Holiday. Both of those seem unlikely in Zion's rookie season.

The West has been extremely deep in the backcourt. If AD and KD move to the East it creates a more wide open race in the frontcourt. It's still a long shot with all of the elite bigs in the West, but centers tend to get less love in the All-Star voting. He has a good shot with fan voting.
AwkwardBoogaloo
Sophomore
And1: 391

Post#12 » by AwkwardBoogaloo » Wed May 22, 2019 11:50 pm

arasu wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:If he's in the West than no. There are serious All-Star Snubs in the West every year, including his likely running-mate Holiday, who at 21/5/8 would certainly be an all-star in the East. So, NOP would need to be in the playoff mix and Zion would need to be clearly better than Holiday. Both of those seem unlikely in Zion's rookie season.

The West has been extremely deep in the backcourt. If AD and KD move to the East it creates a more wide open race in the frontcourt. It's still a long shot with all of the elite bigs in the West, but centers tend to get less love in the All-Star voting. He has a good shot with fan voting.

Fan voting still only accounts for 50% of the final tally... Zion would have to really have a phenomenal season to get in as a starter. Even if AD and KD move East, you still have Lebron and Paul George who are pretty much guaranteed starters barring any injuries. That leaves only one spot open in the front court, and it's hard to imagine Zion having such a great season that he garners more votes than the likes of established stars like Jokic or even Towns & Gobert
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#13 » by arasu » Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 am

AwkwardBoogaloo wrote:
arasu wrote:

Fan voting still only accounts for 50% of the final tally... Zion would have to really have a phenomenal season to get in as a starter. Even if AD and KD move East, you still have Lebron and Paul George who are pretty much guaranteed starters barring any injuries. That leaves only one spot open in the front court, and it's hard to imagine Zion having such a great season that he garners more votes than the likes of established stars like Jokic or even Towns & Gobert

Gobert just doesn't get recognition. I would expect James, George, and Jokic to start, but I wouldn't bet on it.
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#14 » by ebrian » Thu May 23, 2019 9:56 am

I voted yes because I assumed Rookie all-star game is still all-star.

If they meant All-Star as in the ACTUAL all-star game, then no, there's no way Zion Williamson will be an all-star.

To the people saying he'll be a huge bust. I don't think he'll be a huge bust, but I do think there's high risk of him having a shortened career. A man that size, along with his heavy (no pun intended) reliance on his athleticism? To me, it makes me think that this guy can be great but won't be able to sustain it for long. I hope I'm wrong, but to me the math doesn't check out. His frame and weight don't add up, he's got the wrong proportions and at some point his bones will start having problems supporting that amount of stress and weight. My guess would be that he has a solid if not spectacular career for the first 7-9 seasons but after that, who knows?

Look how long he was gone when his foot blew through his shoe for Duke. He was out for about 3 weeks? That was a pretty bizarre and yet innocent play. He slightly overextended his leg and boom, 3 weeks out. That kind of stuff can happen in the NBA every day, with defenders kicking out their legs, traffic in the lane, etc.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but I could easily see Zion's career lasting 10 seasons and his body succumbing to the rigors of the NBA.
AwkwardBoogaloo
Sophomore
And1: 391

Post#15 » by AwkwardBoogaloo » Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm

arasu wrote:
AwkwardBoogaloo wrote:
arasu wrote:The West has been extremely deep in the backcourt. If AD and KD move to the East it creates a more wide open race in the frontcourt. It's still a long shot with all of the elite bigs in the West, but centers tend to get less love in the All-Star voting. He has a good shot with fan voting.

Gobert just doesn't get recognition. I would expect James, George, and Jokic to start, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Agreed. That's why I had his name last on that list and even as I was typing it I had flashbacks to his waterworks display after missing the last All Star game
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Sat May 25, 2019 7:06 pm

It's not entirely out of the question per fan voting esp if KD goes to NY, Kawhi stays in the East, AD gets traded to the East etc
Luka should have been in so it's not that unrealistic to think he is in consideration at least as an alternate even if those fa and trades don't happen.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to Polls Discussion