Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in September?

Barcs
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,381
And1: 257
Joined: Jan 27, 2013
Location: NJ
       

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#4 » by Barcs » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:50 pm

I really don't understand why this is an issue today, when they have had back to back games for several decades and it didn't pose a problem.

The truth is, it's not a problem for anybody except corporate executives trying to milk it for ratings. It's never been about health or the game itself. It's pure greed and it's ruining many sports.
Barcs
Hield of Dreams
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,000
And1: 416
Joined: Mar 01, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
 

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#6 » by Hield of Dreams » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:01 am

Barcs wrote:I really don't understand why this is an issue today, when they have had back to back games for several decades and it didn't pose a problem.

The truth is, it's not a problem for anybody except corporate executives trying to milk it for ratings. It's never been about health or the game itself. It's pure greed and it's ruining many sports.


The problem is spelt "M-I-L-L-E-N-N-I-A-L"

Thank you Baby Boomers for creating and parenting such a self-absorbed, thin-skinned and non-nonsensical generation. All those participation trophies and hurt feelings from not keeping score sure fixed all the world's problems, case in point, the Millennial generation
Lockdown504090
Sophomore
Posts: 232
And1: 268
Joined: Nov 24, 2015
         

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#9 » by Lockdown504090 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Starting the season in septmember means even less time to recover from the previous season. Less time for training camp to get in shape. not being in shape =more fatigue early season. Fatigue leads to injuries. its either less game and less money, or stop training so hard from 4 years old.
User avatar
VYoungJrIII
Pro Prospect
Posts: 991
And1: 1,615
Joined: Oct 21, 2015
Location: New York City
     

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#10 » by VYoungJrIII » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:26 am

Hield of Dreams wrote:
Barcs wrote:I really don't understand why this is an issue today, when they have had back to back games for several decades and it didn't pose a problem.

The truth is, it's not a problem for anybody except corporate executives trying to milk it for ratings. It's never been about health or the game itself. It's pure greed and it's ruining many sports.


The problem is spelt "M-I-L-L-E-N-N-I-A-L"

Thank you Baby Boomers for creating and parenting such a self-absorbed, thin-skinned and non-nonsensical generation. All those participation trophies and hurt feelings from not keeping score sure fixed all the world's problems, case in point, the Millennial generation


Ok boomer
Read on Twitter
Hield of Dreams
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,000
And1: 416
Joined: Mar 01, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
 

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#11 » by Hield of Dreams » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:39 am

VYoungJrIII wrote:
Hield of Dreams wrote:
Barcs wrote:I really don't understand why this is an issue today, when they have had back to back games for several decades and it didn't pose a problem.

The truth is, it's not a problem for anybody except corporate executives trying to milk it for ratings. It's never been about health or the game itself. It's pure greed and it's ruining many sports.


The problem is spelt "M-I-L-L-E-N-N-I-A-L"

Thank you Baby Boomers for creating and parenting such a self-absorbed, thin-skinned and non-nonsensical generation. All those participation trophies and hurt feelings from not keeping score sure fixed all the world's problems, case in point, the Millennial generation


Ok boomer
Well, considering both my parents are boomers. I wouldn't categorize myself as a boomer. I also blame the boomers for creating and parenting millenials into the thin skinned sensitive sallies that they generally are.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
User avatar
Chi Dynasty12
Veteran
Posts: 2,931
And1: 94
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#12 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:43 pm

Don't need to start the games in September; then you're taking away an extra month of preparation time for players / teams.

Just shorten the schedule by ~10 games, and make up for it by adding a play-in tournament for the post-season. Those games will get a ton more viewers than regular season games too.

Nobody likes back-to-backs; we're tired of the injuries and stars sitting out because of it.
Epstein / Hoyer 2016
3ptLion
Ballboy
Posts: 3
And1: 0
Joined: May 18, 2019
       

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#13 » by 3ptLion » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:01 am

Facts!

Lockdown504090 wrote:Starting the season in septmember means even less time to recover from the previous season. Less time for training camp to get in shape. not being in shape =more fatigue early season. Fatigue leads to injuries. its either less game and less money, or stop training so hard from 4 years old.
Biff Cooper
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,322
And1: 63
Joined: Jan 02, 2009
Location: Northern Minnesota
 

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#15 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:21 pm

I voted no. I'm fine with back to backs if no travel between games (i.e. - two home games, two road games in same arena or two road games in arenas within 30 miles of each other). Have never liked back to backs with a lot of travel between games.

I also don't think eliminating b-2-b will prevent teams from resting players. They have proven that giving some key players a little rest helps the team play better in the playoffs. Back to backs seems more like a convenient place to give rest than anything else. If NBA wants to force teams to play their top players every game, they need to try something else (shortening schedule to make games worth more, reducing the number of playoff spots to make games worth more, or fining teams who rest players). To me, reducing the playoff field seems to make the most sense, but that may give more teams reason to tank and not help that problem.
Diggr14
Analyst
Posts: 3,143
And1: 903
Joined: Jan 12, 2008

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-back games entirely from the schedule even if it means beginning season in Septembe 

Post#16 » by Diggr14 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 am

What type of Nancy nonsense is this.


Im sure some of these guys have played 4-6 games a day before probably many times over in their lives. They are in condition and can handle a simple back-to-back with 18-24 hours between games. To imply they cant is ridiculous.

The NBA season is long enough. If anything it should be condensed by a month to 45 days. If they cant play due to injury this is why your squad has 16 guys. If they are just being pussies and want to sit out for "load management" well.. that's on them to explain to their fans and ultimately take the long term repricussions of the load management farce. Eventually fans will get fed up with showing up if their favorite players are gonna sit out because they simply want a day off- because that is exactly what it is.
Eric Bledsoe - Have it all. History repeats itself.

Return to Polls Discussion