Which team won the Westbrook/Wall trade?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Which team won the Westbrook/Wall trade? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Thu Dec 3, 2020 2:22 am

1. Wizards
2. Rockets
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Re: Which team won the Westbrook/Wall trade? 

Post#2 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 5:33 am

Westbrook in the East is gonna be interesting.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#3 » by luss54321 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:52 am

Wizards and it's not even close. Westbrook averaged 27, 8, and 7 last year. John Wall hasn't played basketball in 2 years. John Wall could realistically be done as a contributing NBA player. I hope he comes back from the achilles industry, but history is not on his side.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#4 » by BallerTalk » Fri Dec 4, 2020 4:24 am

luss54321 wrote:Wizards and it's not even close. Westbrook averaged 27, 8, and 7 last year.

The ever-present flaw of looking at numbers instead of game play.
There's a reason the market for Westbrook was so limited.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
luss54321
Starter

Post#5 » by luss54321 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:39 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
luss54321 wrote:Wizards and it's not even close. Westbrook averaged 27, 8, and 7 last year.

You need to look at both. John Wall hasn't played basketball in two years. He's a 30 year old player coming off a terrible injury who's relied on speed and athleticism his entire career. This is less about Westbrook's shortcomings and more about John Wall, who may never play at a high level again.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by BallerTalk » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:01 am

luss54321 wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

You need to look at both. John Wall hasn't played basketball in two years. He's a 30 year old player coming off a terrible injury who's relied on speed and athleticism his entire career. This is less about Westbrook's shortcomings and more about John Wall, who may never play at a high level again.

Westbrook is two years older than Wall.
He has had significant injuries and/or off-season surgeries 3 season in a row and in fact could not even play in back-to-back games for the Rockets last season.
Westbrook is also notable less skilled than Wall. His entire game is significantly more predicated on speed and athleticism than any other guard in the league. Westbrook has only topped 30% from three point range once in the last six years and he has the highest turnover rate of any guard during that time as well.
The Rockets mitigated their style of play and compromised their entire roster to create a situation to make Westbrook more impactful (hence the numbers you referenced above) but it still came back to bite them in the playoffs as we sawthe Lakers intentionally leave him wide open time and time again. They packed the paint, doubled Harden and literally dared Westbrook to shoot.

Sp again, anyone who actually watched the games and understands the facts would have a significantly different view from someone who just looked at the numbers.
And honestly, that's been the story on Westbrook for years now.
-
fox2jk
Junior
And1: 145

Post#7 » by fox2jk » Sat Dec 5, 2020 10:01 pm

Its close but Wizards got better and got rid of the worst contract in the league. Rockets got a pick but Wall hasn't played in years and when he did he averaged 9 turnovers a game.
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#8 » by Salty1 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 4:54 pm

This is not even comparable! John Wall and Russel Westbrook are both great point guards and both have their shortcomings. Which is basically all I read in the comments below. What you guys fail to mention is this:

Washington and Houston should have both been headed for a rebuild, instead Houston wins the trade by moving an unmovable piece for a first round pick. That should be the story.

I'm shocked many of you picked Washington to win this trade. Not only do I think Houston will be the better team next season I am also convinced that John Wall's trade value inclines next year while Westbrook's takes a steep decline. Westbrook will also be the reason for ruining Bradley Beal's relationship with the front office. When his numbers take a major decline this season and his team is sub par at best, don't be surprised to see Bradley Beal become the next disgruntled star and demand his way out of town.
Airmax3D
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#9 » by Airmax3D » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:38 pm

Salty1 wrote:This is not even comparable! John Wall and Russel Westbrook are both great point guards and both have their shortcomings. Which is basically all I read in the comments below. What you guys fail to mention is this:

Washington and Houston should have both been headed for a rebuild, instead Houston wins the trade by moving an unmovable piece for a first round pick. That should be the story.

I'm shocked many of you picked Washington to win this trade. Not only do I think Houston will be the better team next season I am also convinced that John Wall's trade value inclines next year while Westbrook's takes a steep decline. Westbrook will also be the reason for ruining Bradley Beal's relationship with the front office. When his numbers take a major decline this season and his team is sub par at best, don't be surprised to see Bradley Beal become the next disgruntled star and demand his way out of town.

Hold on a minute, the Rockets moved an unmovable piece for another unmovable piece and a heavily protected first round pick. Also, Wall hasn't played in 2 years!! TWO! people seem to forget that when they just see highlights of a pick up game and figure the dude is back and will be able to play the whole season. Wizards get a guy that won't miss many games and at the end of the day, as flawed as Westbrook can be, you want the guy that play, not sit on his ass cause he's hurt.
luss54321
Starter

Post#10 » by luss54321 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:57 am

BallerTalk wrote:
luss54321 wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

He has had significant injuries and/or off-season surgeries 3 season in a row and in fact could not even play in back-to-back games for the Rockets last season.
Westbrook is also notable less skilled than Wall. His entire game is significantly more predicated on speed and athleticism than any other guard in the league. Westbrook has only topped 30% from three point range once in the last six years and he has the highest turnover rate of any guard during that time as well.
The Rockets mitigated their style of play and compromised their entire roster to create a situation to make Westbrook more impactful (hence the numbers you referenced above) but it still came back to bite them in the playoffs as we sawthe Lakers intentionally leave him wide open time and time again. They packed the paint, doubled Harden and literally dared Westbrook to shoot.

Sp again, anyone who actually watched the games and understands the facts would have a significantly different view from someone who just looked at the numbers.

I don't think you're fully grasping that John Wall may never play basketball at a high level again. He may be done.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by BallerTalk » Wed Dec 9, 2020 8:09 am

luss54321 wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:
luss54321 wrote:

The Rockets mitigated their style of play and compromised their entire roster to create a situation to make Westbrook more impactful (hence the numbers you referenced above) but it still came back to bite them in the playoffs as we saw the Lakers intentionally leave him wide open time and time again. They packed the paint, doubled Harden and literally dared Westbrook to shoot.

I don't think you're fully grasping that John Wall may never play basketball at a high level again. He may be done.

I don't think you are fully grasping the anchor that Westbrook has become. Although he gets his numbers, more often than not he is a net negative for any team with higher aspirations. That fact gets magnified exponentially in the playoffs.

Please refer back to the '20 playoffs...and the '19 playoffs...and the '18 playoffs.

Add that he's an increasingly injured, athleticism reliant, low BBIQ point guard on the other side of 30 and what do you really think are the prospects that he'll do any better than what we've seen the last 3 seasons?

Your argument is what Wall may not be able to do. My argument is what Westbrook actually does.
That's what makes Wall (question marks and all) a palatable option on his own, even more so given the draft pick.
-

Return to Polls Discussion