Sacchi Tries To Clarify Racist Comments About Italian Football

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Sacchi Tries To Clarify Racist Comments About Italian Football 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Arrigo Sacchi tried to clarify his remarks on Monday after stating he thought there were too many black players in Italy's national team pipeline.

"I'm certainly not racist and my history as a coach proves that, starting from [Frank] Rijkaard" Sacchi had said at an awards ceremony, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"But looking at the Viareggio tournament I feel like saying that there are too many black players, even in the youth teams.

"Italy has no dignity, no pride. It's not possible that our teams should have 15 foreign players in the squad."

Sacchi, who came to fame as the coach of the legendary AC Milan side that won consecutive European Cups in 1989 and 1990, later attempted to clarify his remarks, according to the outlet, saying his words had been misrepresented.

"I've been misinterpreted, you think I'm really racist? All I said was I saw a game featuring a team who fielded four colored players," he told the site.

"My history speaks for itself, I've always coached teams with great players from every color and I've brought in a lot, whether to Milan or [Real] Madrid.

"I only wanted to underline that we are losing our national pride and identity."

Via ESPN

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Sacchi Tries To Clarify Racist Comments About Italian Football 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Yikes, some of these comments coming from ownership groups all over are disturbing (EPL, NBA, Italy, etc.)
Finn Man
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#3 » by Finn Man » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh cmon dude!
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#4 » by Cassius » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:23 pm

"Sacchi digs hole deeper by continuing to open mouth"
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#5 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:09 pm

There are a lot more people of color in Italy now so not surprisingly the football team now reflects that. Stupid comments. As long as the players give their all for the country they are representing who cares.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion