UEFA To Fight Against European Super League

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 5, 2018 5:21 pm

UEFA vows to fight against the idea of a European Super League.

The league would have 11 founding members: Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus and Bayern Munich.

The report added that, from as early as November 2018, the 11 teams could sign a \"binding team sheet\" and commit to the new European Super League from 2021.

\"It would damage football worldwide,\" UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin told kicker. \"It would be boring.

\"To see Juve vs. Bayern every week would be more boring than let\'s say Juve vs. Torino. It\'s no question for me that I will fight and do all I can against such a league for as long as I am here.

\"If we are talking about a closed system, we can forget about solidarity and the development of football. In the long run, the clubs would be the losers.\"

Via Stephan Uersfeld/ESPN

cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Re: UEFA To Fight Against European Super League 

Post#2 » by cheese318 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 1:06 am

This is how soccer is a foreign language to me in terms of fandom. What league is a team in? Football teams are in the NFL. Baseball teams are in the MLB. How can teams start their own league? If only the New York Knicks can create their own league and win a championship. Just a bit confusing for a casual fan
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#3 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 1:08 am

cheese318 wrote:This is how soccer is a foreign language to me in terms of fandom. What league is a team in? Football teams are in the NFL. Baseball teams are in the MLB. How can teams start their own league? If only the New York Knicks can create their own league and win a championship. Just a bit confusing for a casual fan

They are in league by country.
bigpimpatl
Veteran
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by bigpimpatl » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:54 am

macNcheese3 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:This is how soccer is a foreign language to me in terms of fandom. What league is a team in? Football teams are in the NFL. Baseball teams are in the MLB. How can teams start their own league? If only the New York Knicks can create their own league and win a championship. Just a bit confusing for a casual fan

You're missing the point.

UEFA and FIFA don't want any competition to their entrenched leagues. They want to be the only game in town and anything that takes potential $$$ and viewers away from them, they will fight.

It would be similar to Duke, UK, Kansas, UNC, and UCLA wanting to form their own college basketball league and the NCAA and NBA threatening those teams and banning their players.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#5 » by JCruz6 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:58 am

Like it was said briefly in another comment, essentially each country has their own league. What's the point of that? The answer is simple, there's enough talent to do so. You have hundreds of football players that are that good and each league to be competitive. To be fair, each league does have it's 1-4 teams that are traditionally all in the run to win the cup.

The irony in comparing the sports you mentioned is USA dominates in football & basketball because of how big the players are; football doesn't really matter if you are big or not - it only applies to certain positions. And to be fair, USA has their own football league too, MLS. No one owns the sport; anyone can create a league if there's incentive for it.

There are basketball league around the globe - you hear about certain HS players going over seas to play in them; they may not be as good, but I mentioned why that is.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#6 » by JCruz6 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:03 am

[quote=""It would be boring.\"To see Juve vs. Bayern every week would be more boring than let\'s say Juve vs. Torino. It\'s no question for me that I will fight and do all I can against such a league for as long as I am here.\"If we are talking about a closed system, we can forget about solidarity and the development of football. In the long run, the clubs would be the losers.\"Via Stephan Uersfeld/ESPN[/quote]

Bad argument IMO. You can say watching two of the famous/best teams in the sport play "boring"; it simply isn't. Does the hype of the match lose value if they're going to play 3 more times in a year? Sure. But the game is still good. You are basically going to have a league where it's like the Champions League with a solidified set of teams - doesn't sound like a bad thing to me."

I can see the point of it hurting everyone else, because no one would watch them aside from hometown fans or fan favorite players.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#7 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:30 am

bigpimpatl wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:

UEFA and FIFA don't want any competition to their entrenched leagues. They want to be the only game in town and anything that takes potential $$$ and viewers away from them, they will fight.

It would be similar to Duke, UK, Kansas, UNC, and UCLA wanting to form their own college basketball league and the NCAA and NBA threatening those teams and banning their players.

I’m not missing the point I get it I was explaining it in simple terms
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#8 » by cheese318 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 11:14 pm

bigpimpatl wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:

How could the NBA have any parameters towards what collegiate basketball would do? If it’s still collegiate they could always go pro and play in the NBA so what does that have anything to do with said model. It would only affect the NCAA unless they would consider it pro basketball and not amateur which would than involve the NBA causing chaos
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion