Kylian Mbappe: My Decision Based On PSG\'s \'Sporting Project\'

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kylian Mbappe: My Decision Based On PSG\'s \'Sporting Project\' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 23, 2022 5:50 pm

Kylian Mbappe said Paris Saint-Germain\'s \"sporting project\" rather than financial considerations convinced him not to join Real Madrid.

Mbappe will sign a three-year extension and left the door open on a potential departure in 2025.

\"Everybody knows I wanted to leave last year. But things are different now, in sporting terms and personally,\" Mbappe said. \"Leaving my country wasn\'t the right thing. There\'s a sentimental aspect to this, and the sporting project has changed as well. ... We spoke for months about the sporting project, and we spoke about money for just a few minutes.\"

Mbappe reached out to Florentino Perez on Saturday.

\"I made my decision last week,\" Mbappe said. \"I spoke to Florentino Perez. I have a lot of respect for him and for Real Madrid. They did everything to bring me there and make me happy, so I thank them for that.\"

When asked Monday whether he expected to remain at the club beyond 2025, Mbappe refused to rule out a move away.

\"Something I\'ve learnt in football is you should look ahead, but not too far ahead,\" he said. \"A year ago I didn\'t think I\'d be sitting here, and now I\'ve signed a new contract. ... I\'m focusing on this new project. I don\'t know what will happen in the future. I don\'t know where I\'ll be in three years.\"

Via Alex Kirkland, Rodrigo Faez/ESPN

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion