Re: The Official Major League Soccer Thread 

Post#1501 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:29 am

Ended 2-2 so meh.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1502 » by Higga » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Tough game for United to lose 1 nil after that early Red Card.

Still in good shape in 1st place in the East though. Olson's Army will be ready to roll for a shot at the Cup.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#1503 » by Reckless » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:00 am

Tough way to lose for RSL against Seattle but I feel hopeful for a strong finish with Sabo back.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#1504 » by edfmx86 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:06 am

USOC Final on right now, good luck having GOLTV or finding a stream online. The coverage for this tournament is embarrassing.

Go Philly
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#1505 » by edfmx86 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:24 am

Halftime Philly Up 1-0 with an Edu Header off a free kick

45m to go
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#1506 » by edfmx86 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:42 am

Sounders come out strong in the second half. Chad Barrett equalizes early.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#1507 » by edfmx86 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:31 am

1-1 after regulation. Two 15 minutes halves coming. Both teams blew so many chances throughout this game.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#1508 » by edfmx86 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:14 am

Seattle Sounders are the 2014 US Open Cup Champions. Automatic bid to the CONCACAF Champions League.

They have a very realistic shot at being the first MLS team to win the domestic treble.
Queequeg
Junior
And1: 335

Post#1509 » by Queequeg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:23 pm

edfmx86 wrote:Seattle Sounders are the 2014 US Open Cup Champions. Automatic bid to the CONCACAF Champions League.

They have a very realistic shot at being the first MLS team to win the domestic treble.

I just started following this year. I feel like I understand most of what is happening... but what is the US Open Cup? I check scores and highlights of all the games I can't watch, and then I saw the US Open Cup and was completely confused. I think I kind of understand the CONCACAF thing, but I'm sure it will take a while before I fully get it.
"I'd rather be working for a paycheck than waiting to win the lottery"

-Conner Oberst
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#1510 » by edfmx86 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Queequeg wrote:
edfmx86 wrote:Seattle Sounders are the 2014 US Open Cup Champions. Automatic bid to the CONCACAF Champions League.

I just started following this year. I feel like I understand most of what is happening... but what is the US Open Cup? I check scores and highlights of all the games I can't watch, and then I saw the US Open Cup and was completely confused. I think I kind of understand the CONCACAF thing, but I'm sure it will take a while before I fully get it.

the US Open Cup is a knockout tournament ran by US Soccer Federation (not MLS) every year that includes teams in the US from most the major tiers in US Soccer (MLS, NASL, USL Pro,etc).

Last year, Real Salt Lake put out a few educational videos throughout the year, including two on the US Open Cup and the US Open Cup final. Watch em, theyre great.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZT0aC7DAKc[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJm4d7I0Ak[/youtube]

ps Now Im heartbroken, again
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#1511 » by edfmx86 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 am

Sounds like we're getting a new logo. this should be interesting.

futhead.com is showing what looks like a crest shape logo on the MLS Jerseys. Not sure if its a place holder or an indication of what the logo will look like. If it is indeed the logo, it color changes base on the team colors.
Queequeg
Junior

Post#1512 » by Queequeg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:16 pm

edfmx86 wrote:
Queequeg wrote:

the US Open Cup is a knockout tournament ran by US Soccer Federation (not MLS) every year that includes teams in the US from most the major tiers in US Soccer (MLS, NASL, USL Pro,etc).

Last year, Real Salt Lake put out a few educational videos throughout the year, including two on the US Open Cup and the US Open Cup final. Watch em, theyre great.

ps Now Im heartbroken, again

That was awesome, thanks.

-Conner Oberst
Queequeg
Junior

Post#1513 » by Queequeg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:18 pm

edfmx86 wrote:Sounds like we're getting a new logo. this should be interesting.

futhead.com is showing what looks like a crest shape logo on the MLS Jerseys. Not sure if its a place holder or an indication of what the logo will look like. If it is indeed the logo, it color changes base on the team colors.

They put the shield on IG this morning, but it is being shown with all flashing colors. I wonder if it is going to have a color scheme or if it is going to be the shield outline with the colors of the team it is representing at that time.

-Conner Oberst
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#1514 » by truth18 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Awful. Loved the old logo mainly for nostalgic reasons but I understand why a change is needed.

This is almost worse though imo.
YOU LOSE
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#1515 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:10 pm

As a Canadian I hate the new logo.

Way too Americanized.
Queequeg
Junior

Post#1516 » by Queequeg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:58 pm

I think I am the only person that really likes this new logo. I am a new fan to the league, so I have no real nostalgic feelings towards the old one. The new one just looks simple and modern and I like that it changes for each team. The old one was just way too old fashioned and dated.

One thing I wished they changed was the name of the league. I never liked "major league soccer" as a league name. Now that it is my second favorite sport, I still don't like the name, but I love the league.

-Conner Oberst
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1517 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Queequeg wrote:I think I am the only person that really likes this new logo. I am a new fan to the league, so I have no real nostalgic feelings towards the old one. The new one just looks simple and modern and I like that it changes for each team. The old one was just way too old fashioned and dated.

One thing I wished they changed was the name of the league. I never liked "major league soccer" as a league name. Now that it is my second favorite sport, I still don't like the name, but I love the league.

What would you name it instead?
Queequeg
Junior

Post#1518 » by Queequeg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:34 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
Queequeg wrote:I think I am the only person that really likes this new logo. I am a new fan to the league, so I have no real nostalgic feelings towards the old one. The new one just looks simple and modern and I like that it changes for each team. The old one was just way too old fashioned and dated.

No clue what to name it instead, not much of in idea man. Major league was just always a baseball term, so it seemed out of place to be with any other sport. If I had to think of a new one, i guess i would go with something more along the lines of : American Soccer League. That is probably the name of some league here that i don't know about, so is probably a dumb idea. But the "Major League" just always seemed out of place to me.

And now that so many clubs are using Football Club as part of their name, it almost seems as if we could eliminate soccer and call it Football, but that would be tough.

-Conner Oberst
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1519 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Queequeg wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

No clue what to name it instead, not much of in idea man. Major league was just always a baseball term, so it seemed out of place to be with any other sport. If I had to think of a new one, i guess i would go with something more along the lines of : American Soccer League. That is probably the name of some league here that i don't know about, so is probably a dumb idea. But the "Major League" just always seemed out of place to me.

And now that so many clubs are using Football Club as part of their name, it almost seems as if we could eliminate soccer and call it Football, but that would be tough.

Can't be the American Soccer League with three Canadian teams in it.

Sadly, the National Football League is taken, haha. Though it would make the most sense.

National Soccer League maybe though it sounds too much like the NASL, which has a perfect name.
Queequeg
Junior

Post#1520 » by Queequeg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:13 pm

[quote=]

What would you name it instead?[/quote]

And now that so many clubs are using Football Club as part of their name, it almost seems as if we could eliminate soccer and call it Football, but that would be tough.[/quote]

Can't be the American Soccer League with three Canadian teams in it.

Sadly, the National Football League is taken, haha. Though it would make the most sense.

National Soccer League maybe though it sounds too much like the NASL, which has a perfect name.[/quote]

What about the North American League? NAL No need to say soccer.

-Conner Oberst

Return to Major League Soccer