Toronto FC Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Re: The Official Toronto FC/MLS Thread 

Post#21 » by Geddy » Wed Aug 6, 2008 1:13 am

Maurice Edu will be on the cover of FIFA 2009 cover.

Edu will grace the cover of EA Sports' "FIFA Soccer 09" video game in North America, along with Brazilian star Ronaldinho and Mexican national team 'keeper Guillermo Ochoa.

article
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#22 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:35 am

Toronto FC midfielder Amado Guevara was suspended one game and fined $250 by Major League Soccer’s Disciplinary Committee on Thursday for his conduct in Sunday’s game.

Guevara earned a red card in Toronto’s 2-0 loss to FC Dallas after hitting Dallas midfielder Pablo Ricchetti in the face in the penalty area in the 78th minute. The fine and one-game suspension are in addition to an automatic one-game suspension and $250 fine Guevara received as a result of the red card.

He has three goals in 13 games this season for Toronto.

The 32-year-old won’t be in the Toronto lineup until Aug. 23. He will miss games against the Colorado Rapids on Saturday and the New York Red Bulls on Aug. 17.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns
sideshow
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#23 » by sideshow » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:12 pm

The replay they showed on CBC wasn't very clear. I couldn't really see what happened. Bonehead move though. You can't retaliate in sports.

I think he was going to play for Honduras for those two games anyways, so no loss.

We have a super thin lineup for this weekend's game. Scary.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:13 pm

Not that he was much help lately but now we'll be even weaker. I think we are going to get slaughtered this weekend.

Toronto FC traded veteran striker Jeff Cunningham to FC Dallas on Friday.

In return, Toronto received Dallas's third-round pick in the 2009 Major League Soccer SuperDraft.

Cunningham, 31, joined Toronto FC last May in a trade with Real Salt Lake for forward Alecko Eskandarian and a first-round pick. He scored three goals for the Canadian club during the 2007 campaign.

His lack of productivity this season — his three goals were spread over 16 games, seven as a starter — landed him in John Carver's doghouse, as the Toronto coach began publicly questioning his skills and commitment.

In a Canadian Champions League match against the Montreal Impact last month, Cunningham failed to score a last-minute goal despite practically standing on the goal-line. As a result of Cunningham's miss, the game ended 1-1 and Montreal won the tournament and qualified for the CONCACAF Champions League.

Asked after the match what he thought of Cunningham's miss, Carver replied, "I am thinking, 'How did he score 99 goals?' That's what I thought."

Both Carver and team general manager Mo Johnston didn't hide the fact that they were trying to trade Cunningham during the past few weeks.

Cunningham has 99 career goals over 11 MLS seasons.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2 ... ngham.html
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:31 am

I can't believe we won, what a beauty free kick goal by Barrett.

We seriously had no one available for the game and still managed to leave with the win.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:42 pm

Any idea if Maurice Edu and Marvell Wynne will be available for the game this weekend?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,673

Post#27 » by dagger » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:44 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:Any idea if Maurice Edu and Marvell Wynne will be available for the game this weekend?

Who knows if we will ever see EDU in a TFC uni again.

He seems to be headed to Glasgow Rangers. I presume TFC makes some transfer money, but that doesn't put any goals in my net.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/479296
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#28 » by Geddy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:26 am

$5 million for his transfer to Rangers. :(

I'm gutted at the news.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:05 pm

I wish we received more for Edu. I'm not sure if it would be possible but even a player or two from the Rangers develop team would of helped on loan for the rest of the season.

Also in TFC news.

Toronto FC announced Friday the signing of free agent forward Johann Smith. Toronto acquired the former Bolton Wanderers striker after acquiring the No. 2 allocation ranking from the New England Revolution in exchange for allocation money and Toronto's 13th allocation ranking. This swap in allocation allowed Toronto FC to sign Smith.

"We were lucky to beat out four other teams to get his signature," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "He's got the pace of Marvell Wynne, and can get by players. We're very thrilled to have him, he adds youth and we're looking forward to working with him."

Smith, 21, joins Toronto FC after spending the bulk of his time with Bolton Wanderers Academy in England. He made his team debut in the Premiership in Bolton's Carling Cup defeat at Charlton Athletic in October of 2006 when he came on as a second half substitute. Smith then joined Carlisle United on loan in January of 2007, and made his debut there against Doncaster Rovers. He scored his first professional goal on April 29, 2007 against Swansea City.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.js ... &team=t280

Nice young striker, I hope he works out.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:08 am

Playing on the NFL football field looked very silly today. It made the whole event look very unprofessional.

It makes me really hope the Argos never have to move into BMO field.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:01 am

It's starting to sound like Edu was traded for real grass!

BMO field should have real grass for next season while the rest of the money will go towards a practice facility and the TFC Academy teams.
sideshow
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#32 » by sideshow » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Goodbye and goodluck Laurent Robert.

You had some nice passes, but far far too many turnovers, some of which led to great chances for the other team. It didn't seem like he was trying out there, which isn't good when you are the highest paid player on the team.

Welcome Ruiz. From the highlights I saw, he looks like he has a fantastic header, which I think has been missing from the lineup. (the only people I remember scoring from a header is Julius James and Marco Velez, both defenders).

I hope Dichio is alright after getting hit again. He doesn't deserve to have this much trouble playing.

Johann Smith looked pretty good against the Red Bulls. It will be interesting to see him play more. And Attoka (sp?) looked solid again on defence, which is great for a young Canadian player.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:01 am

Toronto FC acquired forward Carlos Ruiz from the Los Angeles Galaxy on Thursday for first- and second-round picks in the 2009 draft as well as salary budget considerations.

Contract details were not disclosed.

One of the best pure goal-scorers in league history, Ruiz was second on the Galaxy’s all-time list with 50 regular-season goals and helped Los Angeles win the MLS Cup in 2002.

Ruiz, 28, is the MLS’ all-time leader in postseason goals and currently is eighth on the all-time goals list with 82.

“We’re looking forward to bringing in another quality striker,” Toronto coach Mo Johnston said. “We’re very excited to get Ruiz in here - he holds the ball up well and is a clinical finisher.”

Finally a striker we can count on. I hope Ruiz works out because I'm very happy he is here.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#34 » by Duiz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:48 am

You freaks... you got Ruiz... he is such a stud. Guevara/Ruiz should be an insane duo.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:25 pm

It's sad that these ties are starting to feel like wins.

Whenever we don't lose feels like a miracle.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#36 » by Duiz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:30 pm

You just haven't gotten a good mix of players. I think that Toronto needs to spend big money on some good DP, like Thierry Henry... just go big and also strengthen their midfield.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:45 am

Anyone watching Montreal take on Real Esteli?

It's actually been a pretty decent game to watch and I'm really looking forward to seeing how far Montreal can make it in the CONCACAF Champions League. As we all know the further a Canadian team can make it the better it is for the future of our game. Plus the more likely they continue to let at least one Canadian team enter the competition.
Snowcrash
Analyst
And1: 118

Post#38 » by Snowcrash » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:59 pm

It'll be interesting to see if Canada can ever set up some kind of an FA-type competition involving not only the USL teams but also lower leagues like the CSL. Obviously, TFC gets a bye in the early rounds but I think it would generate a lot of interest in the amatuer and semi-pro levels to see which teams advance to take on the big boys.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Sep 2, 2008 11:45 pm

Montreal takes on Real Esteli once again tonight if anyone is interested.
NeverGoingToWin
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#40 » by NeverGoingToWin » Wed Sep 3, 2008 10:16 pm

They tied 0-0 to advance 1-0 on aggregate to the group stage.

Return to Major League Soccer