Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: The Official Major League Soccer Thread 

Post#61 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Seattle/L.A. was a fun game to watch.

I think L.A. was the much superior team but the game would have been close if it wasn't for O'Brian White and his two horrible attempts at goal. I'm guessing he was ripped apart pretty good in the Seattle media today.

Seattle is going to really miss Blaise Nkufo.

As for the CCL here are the highlights:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMaRHP6UUvg[/youtube]
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#62 » by jerrod » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:52 pm

it was a good game to watch. beckham looked bad

bugs me a little that they spoiled the rsl saprissa score
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#63 » by Slava » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:59 pm

I hear Ocho Cinco got a trial from Kasnas City.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:34 am

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:I hear Ocho Cinco got a trial from Kasnas City.

Yup with the NFL locked out he was invited to be part of a four day trial.

I don't think much will come out of it but he clearly has the speed and athleticism to play, he just might not have the whole package.

Good publicity for the team, could be a distraction going into the season though.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Just a reminder, here is the weekend schedule.

Go Image
Kc17
Lead Assistant
And1: 36

Post#66 » by Kc17 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Hopefully TFC can get the win tomorrow, any time we can grab 3 points early this season is good, considering the team will likely get stronger as it goes along, getting more comfortable in Winter's systems.

Seattle has it tough again tomorrow night as well, facing NYRB on a short week.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,337

Post#67 » by DelaneyRudd » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:56 pm

and1GS wrote:I'm starting to get more into the MLS because of 2 reasons:

1) That's all that's on in the US.

They are all in North America, sir.
Le Roi
Pro Prospect
And1: 142

Post#68 » by Le Roi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:33 pm

Winning the first game of the season would be great, I'm really excited to see this new look of TFC, hopefully we can make a playoff push this year!
FirstInkTDot
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,902

Post#69 » by FirstInkTDot » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:10 am

LittleOzzy wrote:
SlavaMedvedenko wrote:I hear Ocho Cinco got a trial from Kasnas City.

Yup with the NFL locked out he was invited to be part of a four day trial.

I don't think much will come out of it but he clearly has the speed and athleticism to play, he just might not have the whole package.

Good publicity for the team, could be a distraction going into the season though.

Can't see why not, If there's no NFL Season he's obviously gotta do something.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#70 » by edfmx86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Cant Wait....
martypython
Bench Warmer
And1: 252

Post#71 » by martypython » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:55 am

To be honest, if there's one thing I'm jealous of the Whitecaps, is that they have experienced people and a 30 plus years of history rather than a brand new franchise out of the blue just trying to find their way around.
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#72 » by Little Italia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 am

Juan Agudelo got his first goal of the season! He played very well. I hope has a great season and teams out in Europe take notice.

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
Munchlaxatives
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#73 » by Munchlaxatives » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:23 am

Couldn't watch it tonight. I watched a Mexican League game that I thought was slow-paced and boring, but I could feel the Philly-Houston game actually draining my life force.
I'm sorry I haven't been funny. I am not a comedian. I am Lenny Bruce.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#74 » by edfmx86 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:49 am

ugly game for RSL, but we got the win. Rimando is a beast
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#75 » by and1GS » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:59 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:
and1GS wrote:I'm starting to get more into the MLS because of 2 reasons:

1) That's all that's on in the US.

They are all in North America, sir.

huh? I was referring to how EPL/BBVA isn't on in the US often. And if it is it's on at an awkward time. Not sure what this comment is referring to TBH.

Agudelo looked good? I have high hopes for him. I'll try to catch some NY Red Bulls games this season.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Good to see some discussion flowing.

TFC got totally outclassed by Vancouver. The TFC back line looked confused most of the game and it really showed in the final score.

I must admit the Maicon Santos goal was very impressive though. Came out of nowhere.

Congrats to Eric Hassli for scoring the first goal in Whitecaps MLS history. He'll forever be remembered for that.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Here is the standings after week 1 and the schedule for week 2.

I'll do my best to update every Monday.

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Ochocinco feisty at tryout but a bit rusty

Chad Ochocinco felt it all as he stepped out of the locker room and into the cool morning air. He was excited, nervous and anxious — all at the same time.

As roughly 40 reporters and cameramen documented his every move at Swope Park on Wednesday, the Cincinnati Bengals’ outgoing star receiver realized exactly why he was here on a four-day trial with Sporting Kansas City in the first place: to live out a childhood dream and have fun.

That’s why he bristled, at least as much a man known for touchdown celebrations and reality shows can, when asked later if the whole thing is just a publicity stunt on par with his aforementioned hi-jinks.

“Why would it be?” Ochocinco asked. “What you rather have me do during a lockout? Go get arrested, get in trouble? Act like Charlie Sheen? I’m one that never gets in trouble, I do nothing wrong. I just try to have fun.”

And for Ochocinco, the fun started the moment he stepped on the grass Wednesday. He spent the next two hours working on his technique, racing up and down the pitch, and getting reacclimated to a sport he gave up in high school to pursue a football career.

The practice was closed to the public, but a handful of fans — standing outside the fenced-in field — ate it up. They cheered when he did something good, grimaced when he did something bad, and waited for him afterward to sign autographs (which he did).

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/23/27 ... t-but.html

NFL star Ochocinco tries out for MLS team

Switching from football to soccer won't be easy for Chad Ochocinco, if it happens at all.

Locked out of his day job, Ochocinco opened a four-day tryout with Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday and by the end of his first day with the Major League Soccer team the star receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals was panting for breath.

"Exactly what I expected," the six-time Pro Bowler explained. "I would be a little winded being that I haven't ran at this pace or this level since the end of our season of football. It was fun. I didn't expect to come in here and be Superman."

Ochocinco plans to go through with the tryout, and, if possible, join the MLS team. The famously spotlight-hungry player insisted he was motivated by love for a sport that was actually his first choice until his grandmother persuaded him to focus on football after the 10th grade.

"I would play for free," he said.

Wearing No. 85, of course, Ochocinco worked out with more than 40 media representatives lining the practice field, roughly 10 times the number that normally show up for a midweek workout. He moved fluidly on the cold, blustery day and was taller than almost all the professional soccer players on the field.

His athleticism was obvious and so was his soccer rust after so many years away from the game.

"The time I've had off from the game of this football has been a very long time," he said. "There's no way I can make up that ground, the years I've been away from the game. But I do have a love for it."

With the NFL in a lockout and a court fight looming, Ochocinco has said now is a good time to check into another sport. Sporting Kansas City coach Peter Vermes said he tried to use the practice to help Ochocinco get acclimated to something new.

For much of the day, he had individual instruction from assistant coach Zoran Savic.

"He was a little bit hesitant early on, a little bit tentative," said Vermes. "But I think now he's got a good feel for what a day goes like for us. You can see he's very coachable. I wouldn't try to make any determinations at this point."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 522e64f17e

Looks like he just doesn't have the proper skill set. Good for MLS to be in the news though to start the season off.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer

Post#79 » by edfmx86 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#80 » by Slava » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:35 pm

What position is Ocho playing? I'd be surprised if he tries out to be anything more than a central defender and defensive mid. He could be a winger or wing back but I assume his technique would be pretty suspect.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Major League Soccer