New York City FC Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Zackmorris
Sixth Man
And1: 585

Re: Official New York City FC Thread 

Post#21 » by Zackmorris » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 pm

I'm slowly becoming a soccer fan since watching the Cup and this is the perfect opportunity to support a team for me. Especially since Yankees are involved.

Sent from my d2lte using RealGM Forums mobile app
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#22 » by Future Coach » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:55 am

Is there anyone else on the squad yet besides Lampard and Villa? Like a Keeper? Those two are a good of start for the MLS, and they have a lot of money behind the franchise, but it will be interesting to see how they fill in the roster. And what about a manager? Who's running the show right now?
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#23 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Future Coach wrote:Is there anyone else on the squad yet besides Lampard and Villa? Like a Keeper? Those two are a good of start for the MLS, and they have a lot of money behind the franchise, but it will be interesting to see how they fill in the roster. And what about a manager? Who's running the show right now?

NYCFC actually has both, though the goalkeeper currently on the roster may only be a back up.

Josh Saunders in net.

Jason Kreis is their manager, who has plenty of MLS experience and wins.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#24 » by and1GS » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:52 am

I couldn't find an answer online - when will they start filling out their roster? IIRC it's still three guys who are currently on loan plus Villa/Lampard.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#25 » by edfmx86 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:32 am

and1GS wrote:I couldn't find an answer online - when will they start filling out their roster? IIRC it's still three guys who are currently on loan plus Villa/Lampard.

There will most likely be an expansion draft sometime in January/February for both NYCFC and Orlando City.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#26 » by poeman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:41 pm

edfmx86 wrote:
and1GS wrote:I couldn't find an answer online - when will they start filling out their roster? IIRC it's still three guys who are currently on loan plus Villa/Lampard.

There will most likely be an expansion draft sometime in January/February for both NYCFC and Orlando City.

That should be interesting...I'm guessing the league will enforce NYCFC to sign some free agents and the remainder can be done through expansion draft
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#27 » by Little Italia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:19 am

First time i'm ever going to switch allegiance. Sorry Red Bulls, i'll support them through this year but after that i'm done and going to NYFC!

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
Queequeg
Junior
And1: 335

Post#28 » by Queequeg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:25 pm

I just started watching the MLS with my sons. We live in New York so we try to be Red Bull fans. We are going to our first game this Saturday. I'm really into it, I'm following it closely. Now all of a sudden dis nycfc becomes a thing. What do I do? I have never switched allegiances before in my life. Even though I just started following the Red Bulls, I followed then closely, & I really enjoy the games. The biggest thing is, I live in Staten Island, and I could get to Red Bulls games in a half hour. It is a much longer trip to get to the stadium. I guess I'll see who I'm really rooting for when they face each other next year.
"I'd rather be working for a paycheck than waiting to win the lottery"

-Conner Oberst
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 pm

Queequeg wrote:I just started watching the MLS with my sons. We live in New York so we try to be Red Bull fans. We are going to our first game this Saturday. I'm really into it, I'm following it closely. Now all of a sudden dis nycfc becomes a thing. What do I do? I have never switched allegiances before in my life. Even though I just started following the Red Bulls, I followed then closely, & I really enjoy the games. The biggest thing is, I live in Staten Island, and I could get to Red Bulls games in a half hour. It is a much longer trip to get to the stadium. I guess I'll see who I'm really rooting for when they face each other next year.

I'm just happy MLS is still attracting new fans.

Switching allegiances is hard to do, but NYCFC looks flashy.

Personally I would stick with the Red Bulls though. It will be exciting to see what they do to stay relevant in the market. They are not going to just sit back. They will want to be the kings of New York.
Queequeg
Junior

Post#30 » by Queequeg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:51 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
Queequeg wrote:I just started watching the MLS with my sons. We live in New York so we try to be Red Bull fans. We are going to our first game this Saturday. I'm really into it, I'm following it closely. Now all of a sudden dis nycfc becomes a thing. What do I do? I have never switched allegiances before in my life. Even though I just started following the Red Bulls, I followed then closely, & I really enjoy the games. The biggest thing is, I live in Staten Island, and I could get to Red Bulls games in a half hour. It is a much longer trip to get to the stadium. I guess I'll see who I'm really rooting for when they face each other next year.

I'm just happy MLS is still attracting new fans.

Switching allegiances is hard to do, but NYCFC looks flashy.

Personally I would stick with the Red Bulls though. It will be exciting to see what they do to stay relevant in the market. They are not going to just sit back. They will want to be the kings of New York.

I was thinking the same thing. Red bulls will definitely look to do something big to keep up. And the prospect of seeing live games easily with the kids is important.

I am really enjoying the mls. I even had the bartender last night take off a baseball game to put on the red bulls game, no one objected, it was great.

-Conner Oberst
poeman
General Manager

Post#31 » by poeman » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:11 pm

If its easier for you to get to Red Bulls then stay a Red Bulls fan dude...I live in Manhattan and its a 20 minute ride to Yankee stadium. Also, I'm a Yanks fan and I love me blue colors lol

I could never get into Red Bulls even with the Arsenal legend on the team Henry...I also think his contract is up at the end of the year...I expect they will try to get some big signings too to compete with NYCFC...They arent leaving anywhere, they just made the stadium
Queequeg
Junior

Post#32 » by Queequeg » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:46 am

poeman wrote:

If its easier for you to get to Red Bulls then stay a Red Bulls fan dude...I live in Manhattan and its a 20 minute ride to Yankee stadium. Also, I'm a Yanks fan and I love me blue colors lol

I could never get into Red Bulls even with the Arsenal legend on the team Henry...I also think his contract is up at the end of the year...I expect they will try to get some big signings too to compete with NYCFC...They arent leaving anywhere, they just made the stadium

Yeah, I'm going to stay with the Red Bulls. F the NYCFC! Haha, already super . I'm interested to see what they do to stay relevant with the NYC club coming.

On a different note, I also want to start watching EPL games. I need a team to root for and I'm thinking arsenal. I know nothing, would that make me a bandwagon jumper or a front runner?

-Conner Oberst
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#33 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:36 am

Queequeg wrote:
poeman wrote:

Yeah, I'm going to stay with the Red Bulls. F the NYCFC! Haha, already super . I'm interested to see what they do to stay relevant with the NYC club coming.

On a different note, I also want to start watching EPL games. I need a team to root for and I'm thinking arsenal. I know nothing, would that make me a bandwagon jumper or a front runner?

Welcome to the soccer board!

I think staying a fan of NYRB is a good choice, especially if their stadium is closer to you. Just like with the NFL and MLB (and NBA now too), the greatest city in the world (and the surrounding metro area) is big enough to support two teams and attract major talent to both clubs. NYC is still the biggest destination in North American sports by a mile, so I think both NYCFC and NYRB fans will have something to be happy about in the future and will likely have a nice rivalry.

I don't think becoming an Arsenal fan makes you a bandwagon jumper at all. Although we are one of the biggest clubs in England and the world, we've only recently ended our trophy drought so you're getting in well before the top. Another benefit to being an Arsenal fan and posting on here is that we have the biggest fan base on RealGM.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#34 » by DD12 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 4:11 am

kdawg32086 wrote:Although we are one of the biggest clubs in England and the world,

loooooool
poeman
General Manager

Post#35 » by poeman » Sat Aug 2, 2014 6:21 am

kdawg32086 wrote:
Queequeg wrote:
poeman wrote:

I think staying a fan of NYRB is a good choice, especially if their stadium is closer to you. Just like with the NFL and MLB (and NBA now too), the greatest city in the world (and the surrounding metro area) is big enough to support two teams and attract major talent to both clubs. NYC is still the biggest destination in North American sports by a mile, so I think both NYCFC and NYRB fans will have something to be happy about in the future and will likely have a nice rivalry.

I don't think becoming an Arsenal fan makes you a bandwagon jumper at all. Although we are one of the biggest clubs in England and the world, we've only recently ended our trophy drought so you're getting in well before the top. Another benefit to being an Arsenal fan and posting on here is that we have the biggest fan base on RealGM.

Don't tell that to GMorgan
Queequeg
Junior

Post#36 » by Queequeg » Sat Aug 2, 2014 12:59 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:

Thanks! The board seems pretty cool, I've only posted in the basketball forum up until now,but with all the soccer I've been watching I figured I'd see if there was a soccer forum.

So I'll be around here with a ton of questions, hope I don't annoy you guys too much.

So I'm locked in-Go Red Bulls! Go Arsenal! But who am I supposed to hate being an Arsenal fan?

-Conner Oberst
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Aug 2, 2014 1:11 pm

Queequeg wrote:But who am I supposed to hate being an Arsenal fan?

Yourself!

Hahaha
Queequeg
Junior

Post#38 » by Queequeg » Sat Aug 2, 2014 1:29 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
Queequeg wrote:But who am I supposed to hate being an Arsenal fan?

Yourself!

Hahaha

Well played sir, well played.

I see it will be a good time in this forum. Can't wait until I know abutting about this game to get you back.

-Conner Oberst
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#39 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:18 pm

Queequeg wrote:
kdawg32086 wrote:

Most Arsenal fans don't like Tottenham and Manchester United so you can't go wrong with disliking those clubs.

Thanks! The board seems pretty cool, I've only posted in the basketball forum up until now,but with all the soccer I've been watching I figured I'd see if there was a soccer forum.

So I'll be around here with a ton of questions, hope I don't annoy you guys too much.

So I'm locked in-Go Red Bulls! Go Arsenal! But who am I supposed to hate being an Arsenal fan?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:24 pm

New York City FC, Orlando City to participate in Expansion Priority Draft on Wednesday

MLS expansion teams typically get first dibs when it comes to the various drafts and rankings used to acquire players.

But when you have two expansion teams making their debut in the same year, they'll need to take turns.

Orlando City and New York City FC, who are getting ready for their first MLS season in 2015, will go head-to-head in the Expansion Priority Draft on Wednesday. The event will be streamed live on MLSsoccer.com at 2 pm ET and hosted by former MLSer and KICKTV personality Jimmy Conrad.

After a draw conducted by supporters of both clubs to determine which club goes first, head coaches Jason Kreis (New York City) and Adrian Heath (Orlando City) will then alternate selections for priority among the following eight player acquisition mechanisms

1. MLS Expansion Draft (Picks 1 or 2)
2. MLS SuperDraft (Picks 1 or 2)
3. USL PRO/NASL Player Priority Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
4. Designated Player Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
5. Allocation Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
6. Discovery Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
7. Waiver/Re-Entry Draft Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
8. Lottery Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... ign=Unpaid

Return to Major League Soccer