Toronto FC Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: The Official Major League Soccer Thread 

Post#81 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Dec 8, 2008 3:08 am

AirCanada_1515 wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/05/dobson_tfc_jersey/

The article says that the MLS has a rule that teams MUST change their kits every 2 years.

That is ridiculous and clearly just a money grab. What happened to teams holding onto some type of tradition?

That honestly disgusts me, I understand teams need to make money but changing uniforms every two years is not the answer.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#82 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Dec 9, 2008 1:55 pm

Reds looking to the future

Toronto FC continues to build both on and off the pitch, and Tom Anselmi (Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of MLSE) addressed Reds supporters at The Kit Party to update them on a number of issues, including the building of a new training facility.

"We set out from the get go to be the best team in the league and we want this to be the absolute model franchise in Major League Soccer," said Anselmi. "To do that we need to do a handful of things."

"We have got to build a proper training facility to help the guys be the best that they can be. We're working on that right now and there is a temporary solution that we are working on for this year. In the next couple of years we're hoping to unveil something that is a model, world class facility for our players to train at and our Academy to work at. We're working hard to build the Academy and we are going to add a U14 team this year," he explained. "We want to be the best team in the league and to do that we need to have a grass pitch and a world class training facility. We're working on it, please be patient."

Director of Soccer Mo Johnston continues to work on building the squad for 2009, and Anselmi admits it is possible that the team may sign a designated player. "There is a chance," he said. "Mo started with the plan to build from the ground up and we've got a nice core of players now. The plan next year is to make the playoffs and take the next step. We need to build more depth and add more players. If Mo finds the right guy at the right time and the right price, we will absolutely look at it and maybe end up with a designated player in Toronto."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.js ... &team=t280
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Dec 9, 2008 1:56 pm

Barrett sets U.S. target

Toronto FC striker Chad Barrett is hoping his performance at a United States Men's National Team training camp will earn him another call-up in the near future. Barrett joined Toronto FC teammate Brian Edwards in Denver for a four day camp in mid November after finishing the season in good form for the Reds.

"It was really good to get out there and be involved," he said. "I had a week and a half off after our final game of the season in San Jose. I was recovering from an injury I picked up in that game so it was tough having the camp in Denver because of the altitude."

Barrett scored four goals in 13 games for Toronto following his move from Chicago Fire in July 2008 and finished with a total of nine goals in the MLS. The striker has represented the U.S. at youth level and made his senior debut as a substitute in June 2008 against Barbados.

"I'm pleased that I am still in the thoughts of the U.S. Soccer coaches and it was a really good experience for me to go to the training camp. Brian Edwards was there as well. We both had a good time and I think we showed well. Hopefully we will get invited back to some more camps in the future," said Barrett.

NeverGoingToWin
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#84 » by NeverGoingToWin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:45 am

Montreal Impact will face Santos in the next round. They are a team from Mexico but I think we have a shot. They lost twice in the last round.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:57 pm

TFC acquire Canadian star Dwayne De Rosario

Toronto FC announced Friday they have acquired four-time MLS Cup winner and three-time MLS All-Star midfielder/forward Dwayne De Rosario from the Houston Dynamo in exchange for defender Julius James and allocation money. As per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not released.

"Dwayne is a player we've admired for quite some time. When the chance came to work with Houston to get this deal, we were obviously very happy," said Director of Soccer Mo Johnston. "I'd like to thank Chris Canetti (COO) and Dominic Kinnear (head coach) of the Dynamo for their help in bringing Dwayne to Toronto. He's a wonderful talent and I hope all of our supporters are as excited as we are that Dwayne is now a member of Toronto FC. We also want to wish Julius all the best, it's never easy to say goodbye to a young talent."

With eight star-studded seasons in MLS, De Rosario has scored 51 goals and 42 assists. He has won four MLS Cups (2001 and 2004 with San Jose, 2006 and 2007 with Houston) and has scored the game winning goal and received the MLS Cup MVP award in two of them (2001 and 2007). He was named to the MLS All-Star Team for the 2006, 2007, and 2008 seasons and was named the MVP in 2006 for his goal in the MLS All-star's 1-0 win over Chelsea. At the 2008 Pepsi MLS All Star game held at BMO Field, Dwayne scored the game-winner from the penalty spot in the All-Stars 3-2 win over West Ham United.

The native of Scarbourgh, 30, also won the Sierra Mist MLS Goal of the Year in back-to-back seasons in 2004 and 2005 and was a finalist for the award in 2006.

NeverGoingToWin
Veteran

Post#86 » by NeverGoingToWin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:04 am

This is awesome news. I was just about to post this. Hopefully Dwayne and Guevara will be able to play well together because they both demand a lot of the ball.
NeverGoingToWin
Veteran

Post#87 » by NeverGoingToWin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:05 am

The other issue is he was one of the outspoken players about Canada playing in Toronto. I wonder how he will feel about this trade.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:05 am

AirCanada_1515 wrote:The other issue is he was one of the outspoken players about Canada playing in Toronto. I wonder how he will feel about this trade.

What did he not like about Toronto? The field turf?
NeverGoingToWin
Veteran

Post#89 » by NeverGoingToWin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:49 am

LittleOzzy wrote:
AirCanada_1515 wrote:The other issue is he was one of the outspoken players about Canada playing in Toronto. I wonder how he will feel about this trade.

What did he not like about Toronto? The field turf?

I should have been clearer. Sorry, he did not like the field turf.
sideshow
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#90 » by sideshow » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:57 am

I think he is the one who asked for the trade. It is DeRo's doing. Can't believe they made this trade. So so awesome.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:04 am

It's been slow news wise lately...

Has anyone heard anything new about MLS expansion or real grass at BMO field?
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:24 am

Wynne off to US camp

Toronto FC defender Marvell Wynne has been selected by U.S. National team head coach Bob Bradley to take part in a training camp that will be held January 4-25. This annual camp, held in Carson, California is a lead up to their first match of 2009, a friendly the U.S. will play against Sweden on Saturday, January 24 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

Wynne will be looking to earn his 2nd cap for the national team, and will hope to impress the coaching staff as the Americans prepare for the Final Round of CONCACAF qualifying for the FIFA 2010 World Cup. The U.S. will open the Final Round against Mexico at Crew Stadium on Wednesday, February 11 in Columbus, Ohio. The match in Columbus is the first of five qualifiers to be played in the United States.

20 of the 25 players named to the roster play in Major League Soccer, while the remainder arrive from their European clubs.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_ ... &team=t280
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:24 am

Reds draft and preseason update

With the 2009 MLS SuperDraft fast approaching, the Toronto FC coaching staff is going through their final preparations before Draft day on Thursday, January 15. The MLS SuperDraft will take place at the Saint Louis Convention Center in St.Louis, MO with ESPN2 airing the first hour live beginning at 2 p.m. ET.

Over this past weekend and continuing early this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida coaches and GM's from around the league are watching the annual combine where senior collegiate players are getting their last chance to impress in scheduled games at Lockhart Stadium.

Toronto FC has both the 2nd and 4th pick, as well as the 13th pick in the first round of the draft. First round picks were obtained by the club via a trade in February of 2008 that sent midfielder Ronnie O'Brien to the San Jose Earthquakes, and the deal that brought forward Chad Barrett over from the Chicago Fire in exchange for the rights to forward Brian McBride. The draft will go a total of four rounds with the team also having a selection in the 3rd round.

The final touches are also being put on the pre-season schedule for Toronto FC. All players will report to Toronto for medicals on February 2 and the team will remain here through till February 5. Notice of media availability for players and coaches will be sent out at a later date. The team will also spend some time in Florida, here are the dates:

Feb.6 - Feb.14: Team trains in Bradenton, Florida
Feb. 15 - Feb. 19: Team trains in Toronto
Feb. 20 - Feb. 27: Team trains in Sunrise, Florida
Feb. 28 - Mar. 5: Team trains back in Toronto
The rest of the March schedule will be released at a later date.

Toronto FC opens their 2009 season Saturday March, 21 at Kansas City and will follow that up with a match Saturday, March 28 in Columbus against the Crew. The home opener is slated for Saturday, April 4 when expansion side Seattle Sounders FC make their first trip to BMO Field. A full MLS schedule has yet to be released.

sideshow
Analyst

Post#94 » by sideshow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 pm

I think I heard that the practice facility with real grass is a go, but not for BMO field.

Looking forward to tommorrow. Should be lots of activity.
sideshow
Analyst

Post#95 » by sideshow » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:16 pm

So far, we drafted

MF - Conin
F - Obrian White
g - Frei

Doesn't address our needs at the defense position. I don't know anything about NCAA soccer, so I am not sure if these players are good or not.

It would be nice for the Cdn kid to succeed with the team.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 pm

I think we took White too soon. He would of been available later I think. He's a local kid though so I'm guessing they were high on him.

Cronin:
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/media/play ... free&_mp=1

White:
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/media/play ... free&_mp=1
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:11 pm

Cronin:
Sam Cronin was selected second overall from Wake Forest. The 22 year old midfielder from Winston Salem, NC scored ten goals in 24 appearances for Wake Forest last year. He captained Wake Forest since his junior year and is described as a two-way midfielder that defends like a pit bull and is capable of quality distribution and long distance shooting.

College achievements:
2008: Hermann Trophy finalist, Lowes Senior
Class Award, NSCAA First Team All-American,
Soccer America First Team MVP, College Soccer
News First Team All-American, NSCAA First
Team All-South, First Team All-ACC, team captain

2007: NSCAA Second Team All-American, Soccer
America First Team MVP, NCAA College Cup All-
Tournament , NSCAA First Team All-South, First
Team All-ACC, ESPN the Magazine Academic
All-American, team captain

2006: NSCAA Second Team All-South, ACC All-
Tournament, team MVP

2005: ACC All-Freshman Team

White:
O'Brian White was selected in the first round, fourth overall by Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston. The forward comes to Toronto with a formidable reputation. He won the highest individual honour in U.S. collegiate soccer in January 2008 when he received the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy as the National Collegiate Athletic Association's most valuable player. White scored six goals in 14 games this past season before suffering an ACL injury in October that ruled him out for the rest of the year.

College achievements:
2008: Scored six goals in 14 games before being ruled out with injury.

2007: M.A.C. Hermann Trophy winner
Led NCAA in scoring with 23 goals and 53 points
NSCAA Player of the Year
Soccer America Player of the Year
NSCAA First Team All-America
Soccer America First Team All-America
College Soccer News First Team All-America
First Team All-Northeast
BIG EAST All-Tournament Team
BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year
First Team All-BIG EAST

2006:
First Team All-BIG EAST
First Team All-Northeast
BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week (10/9)
Led team with seven goals, six assists and 20 points.
Three game-winning goals

2005:
Second Team All-New England Second Team All-BIG EAST
BIG EAST Rookie of the Year
BIG EAST Rookie of the Week (10/24)
First Team College Soccer News All-Freshman
SoccerTimes.com Honorable Mention All-American
Led team with 10 goals and eight assists for 28 points.

Frei
Stefan Frei was picked 13th overall by Toronto FC. Frei is a goalkeeper born in Altstaetten, Switzerland and was a member of the Swiss U-15 National team. He was named MVP at the 2009 MLS Player Combine in Fort Lauderdale earlier this week.

College achievements:
2008:
MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List,
College Soccer News Third Team All-
American, TopDrawerSoccer First Team
of the Year, First Team All-Pac-10,
NSCAA First Team Far West All-Region
2007:
NSCAA First Team All-American,
First Team All-Pac-10, NSCAA First
Team Far West All-Region
Led Pac-10 in shutouts, saves, save percentage, and saves per game in 2007
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#99 » by Kaizen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 am

I was surprised we took White so early as well.We should have the best midfield in the MLS now though.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:19 am

De Ro inks long term deal

Toronto FC announced Thursday that they have signed midfielder Dwayne De Rosario to a four year contract. The new deal extends the Canadian International's stay with Toronto FC beyond the two year contract he originally had with the club. As per team policy, financial terms were not disclosed.

"We are absolutely delighted to get this deal done," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnson. "We worked long and hard with all parties involved in coming to an agreement with Dwayne. This new deal means he's going to be wearing a Toronto FC shirt for many years to come, and we couldn't be happier."

With eight star-studded seasons in MLS, De Rosario has scored 51 goals and 42 assists. He has won four MLS Cups (2001 and 2004 with San Jose, 2006 and 2007 with Houston) and has scored the game winning goal and received the MLS Cup MVP award in two of them (2001 and 2007). He was named to the MLS All-Star Team for the 2006, 2007, and 2008 seasons and was named the MVP in 2006 for his goal in the MLS All-star's 1-0 win over Chelsea. At the 2008 Pepsi MLS All Star game held at BMO Field, Dwayne scored the game-winner from the penalty spot in the All-Stars 3-2 win over West Ham United.

Return to Major League Soccer