Post#24 » by Young Thunder » Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:12 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=mVQkixpW6X56TcYDdd98GQ
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,311

Re: International Women's Basketball Thread 

Post#25 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:19 am

Question for the American folk...has a replacement for Cam Brink in the 3x3 been named/discussed?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 41,906

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:44 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:Question for the American folk...has a replacement for Cam Brink in the 3x3 been named/discussed?

Yessir, Dearica Hamby is replacing Cam
BAF Indiana Pacers 2024-25: All Gas, No Brakes

C: Bobby Portis/Thomas Bryant
PF: Julius Randle/Richaun Holmes
SF: Jaylen Brown/Slo Mo
SG: Luke Kennard/Isaiah Joe
PG: Tyus Jones/Devonte Graham

Please consider donating blood: https://www.nybc.org/
Ghetto Gospel
Analyst
And1: 3,268

Post#27 » by Ghetto Gospel » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:00 pm

Young Thunder wrote:
Read on Twitter

she actually has nice touch for someone so big.. how tall is the biggest girl guarding her in this clip? if those girls are 6'3 or above the league is in trouble
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#28 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:12 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Young Thunder wrote:
Read on Twitter

she actually has nice touch for someone so big.. how tall is the biggest girl guarding her in this clip? if those girls are 6'3 or above the league is in trouble

I saw a clip of her yesterday. My God :o

Ghetto Gospel
Analyst

Post#29 » by Ghetto Gospel » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Young Thunder wrote:
Read on Twitter

i guess she's unguardable..?

Read on Twitter
Ghetto Gospel
Analyst

Post#30 » by Ghetto Gospel » Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Young Thunder wrote:
Read on Twitter

#99 from indonesia is 6'7, smells like trouble
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#31 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:49 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:

Read on Twitter

Notice how she keeps the ball up above her waist, giving defenders no chance to strip steal it.

I mean, it's not like she's fast or even explosive, but you literally can't reach the damn ball...

Uh yeah. This is kinda scary not gonna kid you :lol: and this is U18 hoops.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#32 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:53 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:

#99 from indonesia is 6'7, smells like trouble

Oh no. :lol:

I am hard pressed to think of anyone in the league remotely that size physically that can even match up. My girl Han Xu who used to play for the Liberty was 6'11 and was nowhere near as physically big as her.

And what are they feeding bigs in China now? She is basically a truck, so is Li Yueru.

This is great :lol:

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#33 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:57 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:Question for the American folk...has a replacement for Cam Brink in the 3x3 been named/discussed?

Yessir, Dearica Hamby is replacing Cam

Nice! Some level of nice synergy there!
zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 602

Post#34 » by zike_42 » Mon Jul 1, 2024 8:44 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Read on Twitter

Notice how she keeps the ball up above her waist, giving defenders no chance to strip steal it.

I mean, it's not like she's fast or even explosive, but you literally can't reach the damn ball...

I watched the U18 Asia Cup final last night against Australia and she was massive. Missed a lot of gimme shots near the basketball but was tall enough to just grab the O rebound and put it in. If injuries don't get her (hopefully not but there is precedent), hit the close shot first time and not to reach so much on defence, she could be a star.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#35 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Jul 5, 2024 6:32 am

zike_42 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:

Read on Twitter

I watched the U18 Asia Cup final last night against Australia and she was massive. Missed a lot of gimme shots near the basketball but was tall enough to just grab the O rebound and put it in. If injuries don't get her (hopefully not but there is precedent), hit the close shot first time and not to reach so much on defence, she could be a star.

Good tournament for Saffron Shiels, out of the Aussies, who were able to defend their title.
I'm off to watch the senior women's team (the Opals) play China in a friendly tonight. Should get the win, but will be interesting, since we are missing quite a few players from the Olympic team (basically, all our WNBA players)
zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 602

Post#36 » by zike_42 » Fri Jul 5, 2024 9:40 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
zike_42 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Good tournament for Saffron Shiels, out of the Aussies, who were able to defend their title.
I'm off to watch the senior women's team (the Opals) play China in a friendly tonight. Should get the win, but will be interesting, since we are missing quite a few players from the Olympic team (basically, all our WNBA players)

I saw the Boomers play last, it was a great atmosphere. I'd love to hear a quick recap of the Opals game tonight if you can.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#37 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat Jul 6, 2024 2:54 am

zike_42 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
zike_42 wrote:

I saw the Boomers play last, it was a great atmosphere. I'd love to hear a quick recap of the Opals game tonight if you can.

First off, shout out to my wife. Somehow ended up with literal courtside seats right by the Opals bench, sitting just in front of Joe Ingles, CJ Bruton, Suzy Batkovic and Matt Nielsen. Got to meet Joe and Suzy, too.

It was mostly about the defence. China had a lot of trouble getting the ball up the court and into their half court stuff, and the opals were pretty strong and well organized. Did a nice job running some run/jump press defence, and the switch of the 4 onto the point was done well, especially when Garbin and Reid were on the floor together.

Less of a read on the offence for me. What they ran was fine, but the team is going to look pretty different for the Games once the WNBA players are inserted. If all the WNBA players play, only 5 from last night are going, which is a good sign for the depth in the game. Not sure who gets cut though.

Maybe...

Melbourne/Wallace
Allen/Whitcomb/Borlase
Talbot/Kuneck
Smith/Garbin
MacBegor/Tollo/Jackson

Ugh. I'd way prefer to have one of the pure points (I'd take Reid). Kristy doesn't look 100% to me, and I haven't watched enough of Sami this season to see how she's going. They also love Tess (which I don't quite get in terms of on court, although I get it culturally) and George, which could squeeze out Garbin, Tolo or (unlikely) Jackson.

There is a really modern, interesting group amongst all that with Smith and Garbin being flexible bigs who can shoot, and just generally being in a much better place with shooting than the men's team, whilst still being able to have a good defensive identity. A Smith, MacBegor front court is interesting. But I do worry about team balance, and the transition to the next gen...or lack of...for this team.

Still...hey, we have some depth of talent again with kids like Melbourne and Borlase pushing hard.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#38 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 6, 2024 3:15 pm

The Aussie Olympic team is loaded

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#39 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Jul 8, 2024 6:37 am

MrDollarBills wrote:The Aussie Olympic team is loaded

Yep! (But not compared to the US)

Final team is;

Melbourne/Wallace
Allen/Whitcomb/Borlase
Talbot/Madgen
Smith/George
MacBegor/Tollo/Jackson

That's about what I would have guessed, but I wouldn't have Madgen in the team, full stop.
I get why they do it (she's a trooper, playing all the tournaments, super important when our WNBA players are missing), I just think it's a veteran team who doesn't need her leadership, and she doesn't offer enough on court to take her over Reid (as a pure pg) or Kuneck/Atwell as wing shooters.

Still...she's a trooper, so good luck to her.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#40 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:37 pm

Good win by the Aussies against Spain in the lead-ups.
Interesting starting lineup for the game...

Melbourne/Atwell/Whitcomb/Smith/Macbegor

Interesting because I think it's at least possible that 4 of them are our 'real' starting lineup. But Atwell isn't even in the team.
(My daughter let me know last week Atwell was travelling with the team)

Both Allen and Talbot were held out of the game, and both are 'normally' starters, so depending on their injury status, I'm going to assume we are starting one or both if they are available, with Atwell out of the team. The fact that Atwell travelled with the team makes me wonder if one or both of them are unlikely to come up to speed for the tournament (I'd guess Allen in particular, given her recent hamstring injury).

Sidenote, ESPN are idiots. This from their recent injury report;

Allen suffered a hamstring injury and will not return to Tuesday's game against the Mystics, Kareem Copeland of The Washington Post reports. She finished with five points (2-5 FG, 1-4 3PT), one rebound, one assist and one steal in 16 minutes.

Spin: This is another unfortunate setback for Allen after recently battling through a lower back injury. The good news for Allen and the Mercury is that she will have plenty of time to heal up during the Olympics break.

No. Not it's not good news for Allen. She was basically in tears (of joy) when named to play for Australia again, after battling back from some pretty severe injury issues in the last World Cup. She was not hoping to HAVE an Olympics break.

Return to WNBA