How is CC's rookie year going to go?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

IlikeSHAIguys
Freshman
And1: 29

Re: How is CC's rookie year going to go? 

Post#21 » by IlikeSHAIguys » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:I find her super hard to project because guards don't tend to dominate right away in the W, but Caitlin Clark is a unique prospect.

You have to go back to Semoine Augustus to find a guard that just came in and was immediately on the MVP radar.

I'm curious to see how her strength will translate. One low-key thing about Clark was how when she drives, people just can't get her off her path. She doesn't look super strong, but is clearly packing some immense core strength. If the driving immediately translates, that means she'll have room to bomb away from 3.

She's going to a team that already has Aliyah Boston commanding all kinds of attention on the interior, so she's going to be set up to succeed.

she's pretty big for a wnba guard right
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 26,778

Post#22 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 pm

IlikeSHAIguys wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:I find her super hard to project because guards don't tend to dominate right away in the W, but Caitlin Clark is a unique prospect.

You have to go back to Semoine Augustus to find a guard that just came in and was immediately on the MVP radar.

I'm curious to see how her strength will translate. One low-key thing about Clark was how when she drives, people just can't get her off her path. She doesn't look super strong, but is clearly packing some immense core strength. If the driving immediately translates, that means she'll have room to bomb away from 3.

She's going to a team that already has Aliyah Boston commanding all kinds of attention on the interior, so she's going to be set up to succeed.

Being a 6'0" guard in the W is probably the equivalent to being a 6'4"-6'5" guard in the NBA. You've got a size advantage against plenty of matchups but you're still close to your positional average.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
IlikeSHAIguys
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#23 » by IlikeSHAIguys » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:20 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
IlikeSHAIguys wrote:

Being a 6'0" guard in the W is probably the equivalent to being a 6'4"-6'5" guard in the NBA. You've got a size advantage against plenty of matchups but you're still close to your positional average.

I heard it was equal to 6'6
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,848

Post#24 » by HotRocks34 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:41 am

cupcakesnake wrote:She's going to a team that already has Aliyah Boston commanding all kinds of attention on the interior, so she's going to be set up to succeed.

No, not yet. Aliyah's game hasn't been quite there this season so far. Everyone sees it, including Cuffs who was (is?) a bball coach and trainer and who LeBron follows. From tonight:

Read on Twitter

I was following the game on YouTube tonight and the guy showing the contest said exactly what Cuffs did.

I was not impressed with Aliyah's post game early in the season.

So we'll see. I think Aliyah is coming back from an injury so this may not be a surprise, but right now she's been a disappointment and she appears to be struggling.

She's a heck of a player so I'm sure this moment will pass before too long.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#25 » by HotRocks34 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:47 am

Just so people understand the dropoff with Aliyah Boston, this is what it looks like:

So, if she regains her groove that should help the team considerably.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 41,957

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:56 am

HotRocks34 wrote:Just so people understand the dropoff with Aliyah Boston, this is what it looks like:

The team is so poorly coached right now that I don't think it will matter even if she regains her form from last season. There's a lot of mess there in Indiana.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2024-25: All Gas, No Brakes

C: Bobby Portis/Thomas Bryant
PF: Julius Randle/Richaun Holmes
SF: Jaylen Brown/Slo Mo
SG: Luke Kennard/Isaiah Joe
PG: Tyus Jones/Devonte Graham

Please consider donating blood: https://www.nybc.org/
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#27 » by HotRocks34 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:Just so people understand the dropoff with Aliyah Boston, this is what it looks like:

The team is so poorly coached right now that I don't think it will matter even if she regains her form from last season. There's a lot of mess there in Indiana.

Totally agree on the coaching. I feel bad for the women on the team.

Sides seems nice but I'm not sure how good of a coach she is.

They're young and it's early, so I'm trying to reserve judgement. But if things stay as they are I think changes would be in order.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#28 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:13 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

They're young and it's early, so I'm trying to reserve judgement. But if things stay as they are I think changes would be in order.

It's a perfect storm: young inexperienced players, a collective lack of size/athleticism, and just putrid coaching.

Sides threw the team under the bus in her post game presser last night. I think her time in Indiana is coming to an end one way or another.

HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#29 » by HotRocks34 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:29 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

It's a perfect storm: young inexperienced players, a collective lack of size/athleticism, and just putrid coaching.

Sides threw the team under the bus in her post game presser last night. I think her time in Indiana is coming to an end one way or another.

Yeah I didn't like how she handled things last night.

If I owned the team, I would move on from Sides.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 26,778

Post#30 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:54 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:She's going to a team that already has Aliyah Boston commanding all kinds of attention on the interior, so she's going to be set up to succeed.

No, not yet. Aliyah's game hasn't been quite there this season so far. Everyone sees it, including Cuffs who was (is?) a bball coach and trainer and who LeBron follows. From tonight:

Read on Twitter

I was following the game on YouTube tonight and the guy showing the contest said exactly what Cuffs did.

So we'll see. I think Aliyah is coming back from an injury so this may not be a surprise, but right now she's been a disappointment and she appears to be struggling.

This is a preseason quote from me. Aliyah's struggles are definitely not something I saw coming. Her fg% is down -15.8 compared to last year.

I thought the inside out attack of CC and Aliyah was going to have some immediate impact. Instead they've sort of re-configured the entire offense and Aliyah has looked not ready to play. Looked bad from day 1 and now we're 13 games in and she's still struggling.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#31 » by HotRocks34 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:00 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:

I thought the inside out attack of CC and Aliyah was going to have some immediate impact. Instead they've sort of re-configured the entire offense and Aliyah has looked not ready to play. Looked bad from day 1 and now we're 13 games in and she's still struggling.

Yeah the offense looks bad. Honestly, I'm not sure what the coach is doing.

Aliyah is great. No doubt about it. I'm sure she'll be back on track soon.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,710

Post#32 » by ellobo » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:46 pm

It's certainly been a mixed bag so far, and a lot of it is definitely due to a combination of team situation/coaching, and opponents giving her prime Steph/Harden treatment defensively. However, there are some holes in her individual game that were somewhat apparent in college, but that WNBA teams have exploited.

The turnovers are obviously a big problem. Some of them are double teams and intense defensive pressure, but some are just bad judgment, and some are being lazy, passive, and casual with her dribble and not doing anything to threaten the defender to set up her moves, leading to getting stripped, which is a habit she had in college but which she got away with more often.

Her scoring game is very two dimensional, stepback three to the left or straight line drive to the right. So when teams aren't blitzing her, they've tended to sell out hard to push her right, toward help and rim protection. Using a long, athletic defender like DiJonai Carrington, Betnijah Laney-Hamilton, or Jackie Young helps too. Jackie Young in particular seemed almost completely unconcerned with letting Clark blow by her going right because she had help defenders waiting that way and A'ja Wilson waiting at the rim.

Right now, Clark just doesn't seem comfortable driving left, keeping her dribble alive in traffic, or taking shots in the lane, whether floaters, pullups, or turnarounds. When she gets in the lane and sees rim protection in front of her, she gets scared, picks up her dribble, and stops the possession cold, if she doesn't end up forcing a pass and turning the ball over. Trae Young, Chris Paul, and Jalen Brunson would be great models for adding this dimension of keeping the dribble alive and exploiting the 3-15 foot range. It will also open up a lot of passing lanes because right now, opponents don't even need to really guard her in that range; they just have to be there and Clark will guard herself.

There are lots of schematic things the team could do to help her out more, on and off the ball, but these are issues with individual skill and habit that she needs to address (and there's no reason she shouldn't be able to). Teams have the blueprint for taking away the things she already does well, and even uniquely well in the case of the deep shooting. She doesn't need to do those things better as much as she needs counters and more diversity.

In a way, it's a tribute to her that teams defend her the way they do. But it's also a criticism that she and the team can't leverage it into better individual and team offense.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
TerrenceClarke
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,634

Post#33 » by TerrenceClarke » Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:03 pm

Its going to with her leading the WNBA in Turn Overs that much I know....she already is the leader in that dept.
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#34 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:13 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:

Read on Twitter

This is a preseason quote from me. Aliyah's struggles are definitely not something I saw coming. Her fg% is down -15.8 compared to last year.

Was she injured or something? This kind of drop off isn't normal.

I'm baffled because I saw her blowing shots inside she was converting easily last year. It could be mental....this season has been a lot for that entire team to handle tbh

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#35 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:15 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:Its going to with her leading the WNBA in Turn Overs that much I know....she already is the leader in that dept.

That's a forgone conclusion. The way they have that offense set up or lack thereof is going to cause constant critical errors from her being constantly on ball and being picked up well beyond the 3 point line. They need to have off ball actions for her. And also she should be setting screens, she's not some small guard.

I don't like to call for jobs, but Sides has enough personnel to at least have this team playing better offense at a minimum

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,666

Post#36 » by Wingy » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:52 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Was she injured or something? This kind of drop off isn't normal.

I'm baffled because I saw her blowing shots inside she was converting easily last year. It could be mental....this season has been a lot for that entire team to handle tbh

It’s hard to play with ball dominant guards when you’re a true big that isn’t just some rim runner or spot up shooter.

I think of Evan Mobley as an example on the men’s side. Many talk about him taking a step back, but it’s hard to get in rhythm for a lot of players when you have a guy like Donovan doing his thing. So was it Mobley falling off or plateu-ing, or was it Mitchell’s presence? Maybe it’s some of both.

Seems like whatever offense the Fever are running, relying so heavily on rookie Caitlin, and Kelsey being certainly unafraid to shoot, I think it’s hard for a big like Boston to find any groove or comfort.

Hard to find info on Sides contract length. Only her 2nd year. Guessing she has at least one more on her deal, so I’d be surprised if firing is on the table. I think their ownership has got to see more in terms of getting these players to gel.

So little practice time to be fair to Sides, and the team, but hard to deny it has looked janky much of the time I’ve watched.
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#37 » by HotRocks34 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:02 pm

Boston is not at her best right now, with or without Clark IMO.

But she's great and should regain form, I think.

Not sure about Sides as the coach, though.
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#38 » by HotRocks34 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:42 pm

Now Aliyah is getting some swag back
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#39 » by HotRocks34 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:07 am

Fever wrecking the Dream at the half. Boston beasting. Clark chilling.

Now we're getting somewhere.
HotRocks34
RealGM

Post#40 » by HotRocks34 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:18 am

Huge win over the Dream.

Return to WNBA