How popular is basketball in your country?

Moderators: jman3134, Curtis Lemansky, Livno

XTraderXL
Junior
Posts: 342
And1: 231
Joined: Dec 07, 2015

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#81 » by XTraderXL » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:26 am

Slovenia I would say:
1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Winter sports
4. Handball, Ice Hockey
5. Volleyball, Tennis
ChosenChild11
Ballboy
Posts: 7
And1: 0
Joined: Oct 19, 2016
Contact:
 

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#82 » by ChosenChild11 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Please Like, Share and Subscribe!
jacbobbutler
Ballboy
Posts: 48
And1: 35
Joined: Sep 06, 2016
   

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#83 » by jacbobbutler » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:41 am

In Scotland, people laugh at you when you tell them you play basketball. The stereotype if tall, black and muscular to play basketball still exists. Also our facilities are shocking. There is only 2 outdoor courts in my (large) city
My basketball Journey Blog : http://kellypandora.wixsite.com/basketball
ghostface-OK
Ballboy
Posts: 1
And1: 1
Joined: Jan 10, 2017
 

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#84 » by ghostface-OK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:59 pm

I agree that here is Serbia football (soccer) is the most popular, and it is very sad because we are like 10x better in basketball than football I dont know why people still like that sport more over basketball
Pg81
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,451
And1: 505
Joined: Apr 20, 2014
 

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#85 » by Pg81 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:31 am

Germany:

1.) Football
2.) Football
3.) Football
4.) Handball
5.) Volleyball
6.) Basketball (maybe)

I mean they had replaced the daily 30 minute NBA recap with darts and sumo in the 2000s on our sports channel. Made me a sad panda...
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 10,514
And1: 4,501
Joined: Aug 07, 2011

Re: RE: Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#86 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 4, 2017 9:47 am

jacbobbutler wrote:In Scotland, people laugh at you when you tell them you play basketball. The stereotype if tall, black and muscular to play basketball still exists. Also our facilities are shocking. There is only 2 outdoor courts in my (large) city

Sad. I live in a very small Lithuanian town and we have outside basketball courts and facilities up the ***. There are a hoop for every town citizen it seems, its incredibly popular. Our football fields and the whole infrastructure tho is dead, just terrible.

Sent from my SM-A510F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 10,514
And1: 4,501
Joined: Aug 07, 2011

Re: RE: Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#87 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 4, 2017 9:52 am

ghostface-OK wrote:I agree that here is Serbia football (soccer) is the most popular, and it is very sad because we are like 10x better in basketball than football I dont know why people still like that sport more over basketball

But you are pretty good at football. I imagine football is obviously the most popular in Serbia, Turkey, Greece, but Basketball is proud second. Or am I wrong? Basketball seem to have huge following in those countries.

Sent from my SM-A510F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
baldur
Veteran
Posts: 2,862
And1: 2,476
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: melbourne
     

Re: RE: Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#88 » by baldur » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:57 am

UcanUwill wrote:
ghostface-OK wrote:I agree that here is Serbia football (soccer) is the most popular, and it is very sad because we are like 10x better in basketball than football I dont know why people still like that sport more over basketball

But you are pretty good at football. I imagine football is obviously the most popular in Serbia, Turkey, Greece, but Basketball is proud second. Or am I wrong? Basketball seem to have huge following in those countries.

Sent from my SM-A510F using RealGM mobile app


you are right. pretty similar in those countries.
User avatar
Dante80
Sophomore
Posts: 211
And1: 187
Joined: Apr 18, 2017
Location: Athens :: Greece
   

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#89 » by Dante80 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Here in Greece, soccer is king, but basketball is a very close second I think. After Nick Galis, every school in my country suddenly got a basket court..XD
User avatar
The-Power
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,913
And1: 2,482
Joined: Jan 03, 2014
Location: Germany
   

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#90 » by The-Power » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Pg81 wrote:Germany:

1.) Football
2.) Football
3.) Football
4.) Handball
5.) Volleyball
6.) Basketball (maybe)

I mean they had replaced the daily 30 minute NBA recap with darts and sumo in the 2000s on our sports channel. Made me a sad panda...

Darts jumps towards the top of the list - behind soccer that is - for two weeks each year and the coverage of all Darts events has increased drastically over the past years. Otherwise, winter sports are definitely up there as well and during the Biathlon season it's probably the second most popular sports at the time.

Volleyball is probably second in terms of how many people play but not in terms of TV coverage and national events. Also, the NFL has gained a lot of popularity recently - especially in the age group 15 to 35. It's bigger than the NBA and it wouldn't surprise me if it was more popular than basketball in general.
Pg81
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,451
And1: 505
Joined: Apr 20, 2014
 

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#91 » by Pg81 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:57 am

The-Power wrote:
Pg81 wrote:Germany:

1.) Football
2.) Football
3.) Football
4.) Handball
5.) Volleyball
6.) Basketball (maybe)

I mean they had replaced the daily 30 minute NBA recap with darts and sumo in the 2000s on our sports channel. Made me a sad panda...

Darts jumps towards the top of the list - behind soccer that is - for two weeks each year and the coverage of all Darts events has increased drastically over the past years. Otherwise, winter sports are definitely up there as well and during the Biathlon season it's probably the second most popular sports at the time.

Volleyball is probably second in terms of how many people play but not in terms of TV coverage and national events. Also, the NFL has gained a lot of popularity recently - especially in the age group 15 to 35. It's bigger than the NBA and it wouldn't surprise me if it was more popular than basketball in general.


That might be so, I am not 100% certain. All I wanted to show is that basketball despite having gained noticable popularity over the last two decades thanks to Dirk Nowitzki is still far behind football and even some other sports. I am not even sure it is more popular than handball.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 10,514
And1: 4,501
Joined: Aug 07, 2011

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#92 » by UcanUwill » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Pg81 wrote:
The-Power wrote:
Pg81 wrote:Germany:

1.) Football
2.) Football
3.) Football
4.) Handball
5.) Volleyball
6.) Basketball (maybe)

I mean they had replaced the daily 30 minute NBA recap with darts and sumo in the 2000s on our sports channel. Made me a sad panda...

Darts jumps towards the top of the list - behind soccer that is - for two weeks each year and the coverage of all Darts events has increased drastically over the past years. Otherwise, winter sports are definitely up there as well and during the Biathlon season it's probably the second most popular sports at the time.

Volleyball is probably second in terms of how many people play but not in terms of TV coverage and national events. Also, the NFL has gained a lot of popularity recently - especially in the age group 15 to 35. It's bigger than the NBA and it wouldn't surprise me if it was more popular than basketball in general.


That might be so, I am not 100% certain. All I wanted to show is that basketball despite having gained noticable popularity over the last two decades thanks to Dirk Nowitzki is still far behind football and even some other sports. I am not even sure it is more popular than handball.


I imagine moto sports are very popular in Germany, no? Handball being more popular than basketball is just sad to me.
Pg81
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,451
And1: 505
Joined: Apr 20, 2014
 

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#93 » by Pg81 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
The-Power wrote:Darts jumps towards the top of the list - behind soccer that is - for two weeks each year and the coverage of all Darts events has increased drastically over the past years. Otherwise, winter sports are definitely up there as well and during the Biathlon season it's probably the second most popular sports at the time.

Volleyball is probably second in terms of how many people play but not in terms of TV coverage and national events. Also, the NFL has gained a lot of popularity recently - especially in the age group 15 to 35. It's bigger than the NBA and it wouldn't surprise me if it was more popular than basketball in general.


That might be so, I am not 100% certain. All I wanted to show is that basketball despite having gained noticable popularity over the last two decades thanks to Dirk Nowitzki is still far behind football and even some other sports. I am not even sure it is more popular than handball.


I imagine moto sports are very popular in Germany, no? Handball being more popular than basketball is just sad to me.


True enough, F1 has a lot of fans as well.
janmagn
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,564
And1: 250
Joined: Aug 26, 2015
       

Re: RE: Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#94 » by janmagn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
The-Power wrote:Darts jumps towards the top of the list - behind soccer that is - for two weeks each year and the coverage of all Darts events has increased drastically over the past years. Otherwise, winter sports are definitely up there as well and during the Biathlon season it's probably the second most popular sports at the time.

Volleyball is probably second in terms of how many people play but not in terms of TV coverage and national events. Also, the NFL has gained a lot of popularity recently - especially in the age group 15 to 35. It's bigger than the NBA and it wouldn't surprise me if it was more popular than basketball in general.


That might be so, I am not 100% certain. All I wanted to show is that basketball despite having gained noticable popularity over the last two decades thanks to Dirk Nowitzki is still far behind football and even some other sports. I am not even sure it is more popular than handball.


I imagine moto sports are very popular in Germany, no? Handball being more popular than basketball is just sad to me.

I would die if handball was more popular in Finland than basketball

Our best two handball teams that face each other in the finals every year are Cocks and Dickens (not joking)

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
elchengue20
Ballboy
Posts: 17
And1: 9
Joined: Aug 17, 2013

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#95 » by elchengue20 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Uruguay.

1) Futbol (Soccer): Is like a religion here for most people. Big factor in our national identity. Small country but we produce some of the best players in the world.







2) Basketball: Very far from futbol but still a popular sport. In the capital Montevideo we have nearly 15 basketball clubs with youth teams and senior teams wich is crazy. In the rest of the country we have some semi-professional legaues who brings american players.






3)Everything else
User avatar
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,615
And1: 857
Joined: Jul 18, 2013
Location: The beautiful capital of California

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#96 » by Kings2013 » Thu Sep 7, 2017 9:42 am

Le Chef wrote:Our sport popularity here goes like this

1. Basketball
2. Boxing
3. Billiards / Pool


Here is Philippines


I'm in the Philippines and he isn't lying. In the malls basketball gear is the first thing you'll see in sports stores. People wear NBA gear all over the place.
User avatar
El Hespiritu
Ballboy
Posts: 43
And1: 28
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Barcelona
Contact:
   

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#97 » by El Hespiritu » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Catalonia:

-FCBarcelona (Més que un sport)
-
-
-
-Football
-
-
-
-Motorcycling
-Basketball (Thanks Tolliver for Badalona -bball is sorta religion in that small town- and a bit Manresa or it would be even worse)
Image
-I tell them: Gentlemen, you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw their bodies into the sea
User avatar
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 10,272
And1: 2,297
Joined: Feb 28, 2012
   

Re: RE: Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#98 » by Nuntius » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
ghostface-OK wrote:I agree that here is Serbia football (soccer) is the most popular, and it is very sad because we are like 10x better in basketball than football I dont know why people still like that sport more over basketball

But you are pretty good at football. I imagine football is obviously the most popular in Serbia, Turkey, Greece, but Basketball is proud second. Or am I wrong? Basketball seem to have huge following in those countries.

Sent from my SM-A510F using RealGM mobile app


I'm Greek and I can confirm that you're correct. We're better at basketball than football but for some stupid reason we love football more.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
User avatar
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 10,272
And1: 2,297
Joined: Feb 28, 2012
   

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#99 » by Nuntius » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:13 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Handball being more popular than basketball is just sad to me.


It makes sense, though. Handball was invented in Denmark and has been very popular in northern Europe ever since the 19th century. It explains why basketball never really took off in those countries. Handball and basketball draw from a similar talent pool and since handball was always more popular there, basketball never got the players to take off.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
User avatar
Pacersike
Starter
Posts: 2,480
And1: 371
Joined: Jun 10, 2007
Location: Belgium

Re: How popular is basketball in your country? 

Post#100 » by Pacersike » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:48 am

Belgium

1 Soccer
2 Cycling


3 Tennis
4 Sports of which we have a great sports(wo)man/team at that time (women basketball now)


5 Sports we are not good at (men basketball at the moment)

Return to International Basketball