Euroleague discussion thread

Moderators: jman3134, Livno , Curtis Lemansky

Inspektor1312
Freshman
Posts: 77
And1: 94
Joined: Feb 02, 2018
Location: Serbia
 

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#181 » by Inspektor1312 » Sat Feb 3, 2018 3:37 pm

Here's a nice article about the begginings of Serbian(and Yugoslavian) basketball, an interesting read.

http://www.euroleague.net/final-four/belgrade-2018/news/i/8h8gbhyu4mdkj3yp/kalemegdan-cradle-of-serbian-basketball
User avatar
burek3
Junior
Posts: 408
And1: 137
Joined: Feb 11, 2017
Location: Slovenia
     

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#182 » by burek3 » Sun Feb 4, 2018 10:32 am

Love these kind of articles, they bring a tear in the eye....
User avatar
lavta
Sophomore
Posts: 145
And1: 402
Joined: May 23, 2017
Location: Istanbul
Contact:

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#183 » by lavta » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Think this preview is a must read for anyone who will be watching Olympiacos - Zalgiris when the series start on Wednesday.

http://euroleagueadventures.com/playoff-preview-olympiacos-vs-zalgiris-kaunas/

Lays out trends, components and styles of strong sides of the teams, mentions weaknesses in context to how it could potentially affect the strategic aspect of the series and shares plenty of contextualized and significant footage from both of these two teams' Euroleague regular season games between each other and their other Euroleague RS games.
User avatar
lavta
Sophomore
Posts: 145
And1: 402
Joined: May 23, 2017
Location: Istanbul
Contact:

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#184 » by lavta » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Saras is definitely a top 5 coach Euroball + NBA combined right now. The consistency with which Zalgiris execute their stuff on both ends, taking every player's strengths and maximizing them in a coherent collective structure, marvellous set plays that bring them crucial clutch buckets... He's having an insane season.
User avatar
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 4,016
Joined: Jul 02, 2011
Location: 2018
       

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#185 » by cruwinas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 pm

lavta wrote:Saras is definitely a top 5 coach Euroball + NBA combined right now. The consistency with which Zalgiris execute their stuff on both ends, taking every player's strengths and maximizing them in a coherent collective structure, marvellous set plays that bring them crucial clutch buckets... He's having an insane season.


What defies coaches job - the progress of his team play. From beginning of the last season, till now "Žalgiris" is getting better and better, and individually players are developing.
Today's gutsy win on the road against "Olympiakos" just proves that. Šaras is perfectionist and a little bit maniacal. BUT his guys know, that coach is 100% behind them and the way Šaras navigates through the game is like a conductor in charge of the orchestra.
Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions.
User avatar
lavta
Sophomore
Posts: 145
And1: 402
Joined: May 23, 2017
Location: Istanbul
Contact:

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#186 » by lavta » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 pm

cruwinas wrote:
lavta wrote:Saras is definitely a top 5 coach Euroball + NBA combined right now. The consistency with which Zalgiris execute their stuff on both ends, taking every player's strengths and maximizing them in a coherent collective structure, marvellous set plays that bring them crucial clutch buckets... He's having an insane season.


What defies coaches job - the progress of his team play. From beginning of the last season, till now "Žalgiris" is getting better and better, and individually players are developing.
Today's gutsy win on the road against "Olympiakos" just proves that. Šaras is perfectionist and a little bit maniacal. BUT his guys know, that coach is 100% behind them and the way Šaras navigates through the game is like a conductor in charge of the orchestra.


Very similar to Obradovic in this regard. Current Jasikevicius is the first coach in years who I'd put at the same tier as Obradovic that season. His future is unbelievably promising.
User avatar
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 4,016
Joined: Jul 02, 2011
Location: 2018
       

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#187 » by cruwinas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:29 pm

lavta wrote:
cruwinas wrote:
lavta wrote:Saras is definitely a top 5 coach Euroball + NBA combined right now. The consistency with which Zalgiris execute their stuff on both ends, taking every player's strengths and maximizing them in a coherent collective structure, marvellous set plays that bring them crucial clutch buckets... He's having an insane season.


What defies coaches job - the progress of his team play. From beginning of the last season, till now "Žalgiris" is getting better and better, and individually players are developing.
Today's gutsy win on the road against "Olympiakos" just proves that. Šaras is perfectionist and a little bit maniacal. BUT his guys know, that coach is 100% behind them and the way Šaras navigates through the game is like a conductor in charge of the orchestra.


Very similar to Obradovic in this regard. Current Jasikevicius is the first coach in years who I'd put at the same tier as Obradovic that season. His future is unbelievably promising.


I just wish Šaras will stay in Kaunas as long as possible. Team looks on a right track, with him "Žalgiris" could have a long run of successful seasons. Šaras in Kaunas can do whatever he seems needed, nowhere else he would have such a commanding authority.
Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions.
User avatar
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 4,016
Joined: Jul 02, 2011
Location: 2018
       

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#188 » by cruwinas » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm

cruwinas wrote:"Žalgiris" is very solid. It's so good to have a good team again in Kaunas, great organization and superb coach. Reminds me of 1999 ;)


We made it! Two more games left. Everybody is healthy, team improved greatly since the begging of the season. 3-1 victory against OLY doesn't reflect exact balance of power between these two at the moment. "Žalgiris" always looked like a better team, and both home victories actually were decided in the second quarter. That's very impressive.
Lithuanian basketball school knows very well how to prepare for the most important games, to be in best possible shape. Now everything will depend on mental fortitude and determination. Šaras knows how to win, Šaras wants to win, he can WILL his team to win.
Two more games left. I will be happy with 1 victory, but I want 2. And it's not unrealistic. If "Žalgiris" opponents were GSW, HOU, and NT of Spain - I would be so happy, because even after two blowout losses young guys could take plenty home and look forward. But in this Final 4 in Belgrade - anyone can win. It will be simply as 'Who wants, needs it more?"
Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions.
User avatar
burek3
Junior
Posts: 408
And1: 137
Joined: Feb 11, 2017
Location: Slovenia
     

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#189 » by burek3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 am

Since Olimpija (or any other club from Slovenia for that matter) is nowhere to be seen on the Basketball World Map, my second fav. is of course Žalgiris. I always liked Lithuanian basketball, very dynamic, very modern, team oriented, green color.

And Šaras is a child of Union Olimpija, of course :) :) :)

It would be so nice to see Real (because of Dončić) - Žalgiris (because of reasons above) in the finals. And then, let the best one win.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 12,648
And1: 6,643
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#190 » by UcanUwill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:27 am

burek3 wrote:Since Olimpija (or any other club from Slovenia for that matter) is nowhere to be seen on the Basketball World Map, my second fav. is of course Žalgiris. I always liked Lithuanian basketball, very dynamic, very modern, team oriented, green color.

And Šaras is a child of Union Olimpija, of course :) :) :)

It would be so nice to see Real (because of Dončić) - Žalgiris (because of reasons above) in the finals. And then, let the best one win.


I am with you man, give me Zalgiris-Real final.
User avatar
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 4,016
Joined: Jul 02, 2011
Location: 2018
       

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#191 » by cruwinas » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:09 pm

burek3 wrote:Since Olimpija (or any other club from Slovenia for that matter) is nowhere to be seen on the Basketball World Map, my second fav. is of course Žalgiris. I always liked Lithuanian basketball, very dynamic, very modern, team oriented, green color.

And Šaras is a child of Union Olimpija, of course :) :) :)

It would be so nice to see Real (because of Dončić) - Žalgiris (because of reasons above) in the finals. And then, let the best one win.


Sabonis (father) won everything with the Real, Šaras - with the Barcelona, Štombergas, Macasm Šiškauskas and many others played in Spain too and fans loved them. I like Spanish basketball school, it's more offense oriented.
BUT, Real now has a certain guy Rudy Fernandez. That SOB rubbed all Lithuanians the wrong way. And we are a pretty patient people. Till the limit.
Of course, you don't need to tell what letters CSKA mean to Lithuanians. Young generation lives in much different world. They don't understand what's the fuss is about for the bigger part. Still, for the majority of us, The Central Sport Club of The Army (occupational for good 50+years) is like red flag to a bull. The confrontation between "Žalgiris" and CSKA had even more political underlining that a sportive one. We were no match to Russians military, but at least basketball court gave some possibility of a payback. And even now we can see CSKA as a henchmen for Putin.
Sure, Dončic is a phenomenon, and our feelings towards Slovenians are pure. No bad blood between us. But, since Real is a Royal club, and Spain NT recently was kicking our butts without mercy (many of times with the plenty of extra help) - we are thirsty for some bloody payback. Still, Lithuanian animosity towards CSKA is a 100 times stronger than to any other basketball club.
Enough of this political and historical detour.
Final between Union Olimpija and "Žalgiris" would be like drinking competition between two brothers :) No winners there, just brothers ;)
But, in current situation, Lithuanian warriors and mercenaries under Grand Duke Šarūnas are coming to Belgrade and will take no prisoners ;) Soldiers are in best shape, weapons too, lets hope that we will die with honor ;)
Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions.
User avatar
burek3
Junior
Posts: 408
And1: 137
Joined: Feb 11, 2017
Location: Slovenia
     

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#192 » by burek3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:44 pm

cruwinas wrote:
burek3 wrote:Since Olimpija (or any other club from Slovenia for that matter) is nowhere to be seen on the Basketball World Map, my second fav. is of course Žalgiris. I always liked Lithuanian basketball, very dynamic, very modern, team oriented, green color.

And Šaras is a child of Union Olimpija, of course :) :) :)

It would be so nice to see Real (because of Dončić) - Žalgiris (because of reasons above) in the finals. And then, let the best one win.


Sabonis (father) won everything with the Real, Šaras - with the Barcelona, Štombergas, Macasm Šiškauskas and many others played in Spain too and fans loved them. I like Spanish basketball school, it's more offense oriented.
BUT, Real now has a certain guy Rudy Fernandez. That SOB rubbed all Lithuanians the wrong way. And we are a pretty patient people. Till the limit.
Of course, you don't need to tell what letters CSKA mean to Lithuanians. Young generation lives in much different world. They don't understand what's the fuss is about for the bigger part. Still, for the majority of us, The Central Sport Club of The Army (occupational for good 50+years) is like red flag to a bull. The confrontation between "Žalgiris" and CSKA had even more political underlining that a sportive one. We were no match to Russians military, but at least basketball court gave some possibility of a payback. And even now we can see CSKA as a henchmen for Putin.
Sure, Dončic is a phenomenon, and our feelings towards Slovenians are pure. No bad blood between us. But, since Real is a Royal club, and Spain NT recently was kicking our butts without mercy (many of times with the plenty of extra help) - we are thirsty for some bloody payback. Still, Lithuanian animosity towards CSKA is a 100 times stronger than to any other basketball club.
Enough of this political and historical detour.
Final between Union Olimpija and "Žalgiris" would be like drinking competition between two brothers :) No winners there, just brothers ;)
But, in current situation, Lithuanian warriors and mercenaries under Grand Duke Šarūnas are coming to Belgrade and will take no prisoners ;) Soldiers are in best shape, weapons too, lets hope that we will die with honor ;)


Very interesting insight, it seems like a win-win situation whoever you get in the finals :) Sure, Fener is not easily defeated, but I think it can be done outside Turkey. The moment it was known Final 4 is in Istanbul last year, it was almost fix that Fener would be the champion.

To be honest, I also don't particularly like Rudy. He's a very dirty and shady player. Luckily, he's old and cannot do as much damage as he could in the past.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 12,648
And1: 6,643
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#193 » by UcanUwill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:50 pm

People still hate Rudy? What did he even do, get into scuffle with Jankunas and flop a lot? That Rudy hate in Lithuania is so exaggerated, its pretty pathetic IMO.
User avatar
burek3
Junior
Posts: 408
And1: 137
Joined: Feb 11, 2017
Location: Slovenia
     

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#194 » by burek3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 am

No, I think hate for him in Europe is pretty universal outside of his club.
User avatar
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 4,016
Joined: Jul 02, 2011
Location: 2018
       

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#195 » by cruwinas » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Rudy was a laughing stock in the NBA with his antics. During every game that Real plays, everybody is tense cause nobody knows what to expect from this drama queen. Will he be spitting, faking injuries, instigating skirmishes or whatever?
UcanUwill - if somebody spits into your teams captain face and does other stuff - you just let it slide after a while? Oh boy, maybe you should choose chess to follow. Players are anemic to confrontation, would be a good place for you ;)
Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions.
User avatar
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 4,016
Joined: Jul 02, 2011
Location: 2018
       

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#196 » by cruwinas » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:35 pm

burek3 wrote:No, I think hate for him in Europe is pretty universal outside of his club.


Yep.
Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 12,648
And1: 6,643
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#197 » by UcanUwill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:06 pm

cruwinas wrote:Rudy was a laughing stock in the NBA with his antics. During every game that Real plays, everybody is tense cause nobody knows what to expect from this drama queen. Will he be spitting, faking injuries, instigating skirmishes or whatever?
UcanUwill - if somebody spits into your teams captain face and does other stuff - you just let it slide after a while? Oh boy, maybe you should choose chess to follow. Players are anemic to confrontation, would be a good place for you ;)


I remember that episode, and I still dont buy that he actually spit at Jankunas.
User avatar
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 4,016
Joined: Jul 02, 2011
Location: 2018
       

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#198 » by cruwinas » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:48 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
cruwinas wrote:Rudy was a laughing stock in the NBA with his antics. During every game that Real plays, everybody is tense cause nobody knows what to expect from this drama queen. Will he be spitting, faking injuries, instigating skirmishes or whatever?
UcanUwill - if somebody spits into your teams captain face and does other stuff - you just let it slide after a while? Oh boy, maybe you should choose chess to follow. Players are anemic to confrontation, would be a good place for you ;)


I remember that episode, and I still dont buy that he actually spit at Jankunas.


So don't. But don't lecture others how they should feel or behave. Basketball court is not a place for a whining drama queens to perform. Bleep them.
Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 12,648
And1: 6,643
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#199 » by UcanUwill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:56 pm

cruwinas wrote:So don't. But don't lecture others how they should feel or behave. Basketball court is not a place for a whining drama queens to perform. Bleep them.


Didnt intend to lecture, but I just found it lame. I think that kind of hate is for those fundy skin head fans who punched Rudy in the face after the game.
User avatar
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 4,016
Joined: Jul 02, 2011
Location: 2018
       

Re: Euroleague discussion thread 

Post#200 » by cruwinas » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:23 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
cruwinas wrote:So don't. But don't lecture others how they should feel or behave. Basketball court is not a place for a whining drama queens to perform. Bleep them.


Didnt intend to lecture, but I just found it lame. I think that kind of hate is for those fundy skin head fans who punched Rudy in the face after the game.


"Lame" is to have no class in any sports competition. "Lame" is not to show to your opponents that certain stuff will not fly.

Whatever. Refs will always favor Spanish teams, with biggest benefits getting Spanish NT. All I want from players - to act with the class. But there always couple of bad apples in the basket.

Dear friend, enough. "Žalgiris" plays with poise, style and class. Shows respect to opponents, stand for each other. That's in our basketball schools DNA. Toupane expressed his frustration in LKL game and made an unnecessary tackle of the opponent player - Šaras immediately was in his face, making it clear that such stuff is a no-no for his teams players.

Compete, play tough, don't give up and show respect to your opponents, their fans. Sport be should clean, fair (in theory, at least).

For example - just recently, Papanikolau was frustrated with OLY losing to "Žalgiris" the third game of the series, he used his elbow twice to make a contact with Ulanovas face at the end of the game, but luckily, nothing developed. And I don't have a grudge against him. Guy just got frustrated, lost control for a while. Stuff happens in the heat of the battle. Rudy is different. But enough of that.
Cavs and Pacers will start in I hour and a half, let's hope Pacers will be able to slain the Dragon and we can rest from that LBJ drama for half a year.
Let's go Pacers!!!
Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions.

Return to International Basketball